Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think Sasquatch actually ended up being weaker than Byrne first intended. She seemed stronger than Colossus in his earlier appearances... but by Contest of Champions he probably performed the worst of the bunch. I think he's a somewhat rare of example of power scaling on a downward trend overtime.
    Yeah. Sasquatch's first appearance had him not only stop-cold a commercial jet (DC-10 I think?) at full throttle, but throw it backwards, against its own thrust a distance of at least 100 meters.

Based on past years showings, I'd say that some characters should be moved as follow:

* Hulk > super super heavyweight (they are really pushing him as stronger than Thor and everyone else)

* Wonder Man > heavyweight (not popular enough to be in super heavyweight)

* Iron Man > super mediumweight (he doesn't have much strenght showings anymore and his armor is now made of cardboard)

* Black Bolt > mediumweight (since some writers believe his only power is his voice)

* She Hulk > super heavyweight (she was already during Slott's run and is definitely now too)

* Luke Cage > heavyweight

* Colossus > heavyweight

* Spider Woman > super mediumweight ([current year])

* Captain Britain > heavyweight

* Captain America > mediumweight (he is never portrayed as "peak human" when he fights people like Iron Man or Spider Man)

* Wolverine > mediumweight (popularity factor)
    Last edited by mugiwara; 04-23-2020 at 10:56 AM.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Not only that, but Walter did this feat of strength that should have put him in the 1st group.
    Attachment 95840

But this was that weird time before Marvel tried to classify power levels. It wasn't until the handbooks when they tried to set people's strength in stone, and a lot of the mid-class brawlers were undercut.
    I think a lot of writers just don't do the match for that sort of thing. They think it looks cool for them to pick up a battle ship, so they draw it without necessarily thinking how heavy it is and how that potentially ranks the character in context to everyone else.

Though again, I do think Sasquach probably was initially conceived as a top tier power guy... it just didn't seem to stick for whatever reason. Post Byrna not enough Alpha Flight writers gave him enough feats to really hand with the top tier guys.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I think Sasquatch actually ended up being weaker than Byrne first intended. She seemed stronger than Colossus in his earlier appearances... but by Contest of Champions he probably performed the worst of the bunch. I think he's a somewhat rare of example of power scaling on a downward trend overtime.
    Much, much later, perhaps? During Byrne's run in AF, Sasquatch was easily Hulk class. At some point it was established that the Great Beast, Tanaraq, was the explanation for Sas' otherworldly top end strength. More recently, however, we've been told that The One Below All (TOBA) is the true source of Sasquatch's powers, just as he/it is supposedly the one to credit for the Hulk's existence. (We have to take TOBA at his word for now, although he's supposed to represent the "Devil", so truth may be challenging for him/it.) Linking both behemoths to TOBA can only enhance the perception of Sasquatch having top tier strength. It may vary in different portrayals, just as every other OP person's strength and powers are often curtailed for the sake of the narrative, but in my mind Sasquatch is a top echelon heavy hitter when written to his true capabilities.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Much, much later, perhaps? During Byrne's run in AF, Sasquatch was easily Hulk class. At some point it was established that the Great Beast, Tanaraq, was the explanation for Sas' otherworldly top end strength. More recently, however, we've been told that The One Below All (TOBA) is the true source of Sasquatch's powers, just as he/it is supposedly the one to credit for the Hulk's existence. (We have to take TOBA at his word for now, although he's supposed to represent the "Devil", so truth may be challenging for him/it.) Linking both behemoths to TOBA can only enhance the perception of Sasquatch having top tier strength. It may vary in different portrayals, just as every other OP person's strength and powers are often curtailed for the sake of the narrative, but in my mind Sasquatch is a top echelon heavy hitter when written to his true capabilities.
    For what it's worth, the 80's handbooks didn't place him in the class 100 category. I BELIEVE he was only like 70 tons. Not that those things should necessarily be taken as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    More specifically Sasquatch has the potential to physically match Hulk but lacks the mentality to do so.

Brian Banner was able to get a lot more horsepower out of Sasquatch when he was in the driver seat.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

For what it's worth, the 80's handbooks didn't place him in the class 100 category. I BELIEVE he was only like 70 tons. Not that those things should necessarily be taken as gospel.
    Well, yes, OHOTMU is generally perceived as more or less apocryphal when it comes to the entries on strength, not Holy Writ. As delineated above, Sasquatch's strength clearly exceeded 70 tons optimally. The funny part is that I recall reading somewhere at the time that Marvel writers did have a scientific resource on standby when in doubt -- assuming writers weren't too lazy to pick up an encyclopedia or almanac beforehand, both of which would have told them exactly how much a plane, oil tanker, earth mover, etc., weighed. I can only hope that if ever I'm this disastrously wrong, I'll nevertheless be compensated and forgiven, if not revered, all the same.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

I looked that this video below.
    It's a interesting youtube video.
    Marvel "TON" Class System Debunked ~ Mythbusting & Misconceptions |
    Last edited by mace11; 04-24-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member

How Strong is Gladiator ( Marvel COMICS ) | How Confident is he ?

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    I look that this video below.
    It's a interesting youtube video.
    Marvel "TON" Class System Debunked ~ Mythbusting & Misconceptions |
    This guy doens't quite understand the class 100 designation. That doesn't mean 100 tons... that just means anything above 100 tons.

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

* Hulk > super super heavyweight (they are really pushing him as stronger than Thor and everyone else)
    There are characters stronger then hulk in marvel by the way.
    For example i think current cosmic thor is stronger then current hulk.
    * She Hulk > super heavyweight (she was already during Slott's run and is definitely now too)
    Current she-hulk is equal to current hulk in strength by the way.
    Hulk only won that battle because he outsmart her when they fought.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-24-2020 at 06:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member

This guy doens't quite understand the class 100 designation. That doesn't mean 100 tons... that just means anything above 100 tons.
    I think he was really talking to those folks who keep bring up the old powergrid or strength info from marvel years ago.
    For example those from 70's or early 80's.
    Back then thor and hulk were about 100 tons,but that change fast in 80's.
    The first superman vs hulk fight,hulk was punching superman and superman did not even move.
    Of course that change in their next battles.
    I think guy in video is aware of the current powergrid system since it now has 100+ now.
    That would be a 7 on powergrid.
    If not maybe someone should contact him.

Note-The version of hulk superman fought was not 616 hulk and that version of superman was pre-crisis superman.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-25-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Extraordinary Member

* Wonder Man > heavyweight (not popular enough to be in super heavyweight)
    Wonderman is in superheavy weight class like thor,hulk,namor,gladiator,hyperion,sentry etc..

Simon Williams (Earth-616)

Superhuman Strength: Williams possesses vast superhuman strength, the limits of which aren't known, and he is listed at the class 100 limit. He was considered to have a Sentry-level strength.
    Strength level
    Class 100+. It has been suggested throughout his career that he is almost as strong as the Sentry; Captain America himself makes this comparison in might. it has also been suggested that his strength is equal to that of Thor, though Williams has acknowledged that Thor is stronger than him. For example, originally both were listed as class 95 in the handbook, although this scale is only for comparisons between characters, and not to be taken anywhere near literally. Since his return his strength has only increased, being physically able to best and restrain the Red Hulk with little to no difficulty.

How Strong is Wonder Man ~ How Strong Series | MARVEL Comics - underrated

Last edited by mace11; 04-24-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member

How Strong is The New She Hulk [ Jennifer ] | MARVEL Comics 2018-2019 ~ NEW Gamma Powered