Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default thinking about subbing to DC Universe

Is it worth it? As far as the selection of movies, Arrowverse shows as well as the DCAU (Batman Adventures, Batman Beyond, etc.). More importantly how are the comics reading material?

There is no Arrowverse, that’s all on Netflix. Don’t know why but I assume it has to do with business agreements. It does have the Constantine live action show with Matt Ryan so...I guess that’s something.

On it are older cartoons like Justice League/Unlimited, Static Shock, Teen Titans, Superfriends, The Batman, Batman Brave and the bold, and etc. it has original stuff like Young Justice, Titans, Doom Patrol, Harley Quinn, and the upcoming Stargirl.
    Can’t say what’s on there for movies, they have some live action but mainly animated ones. Not everything DC related and it does change but it’s a pretty decent amount of content and you will find the older cartoons.

However the best part is the comics, can’t say what’s all there but there a vast category of older comics, newer comics(though like a 6 months delay so not 100% up to date but you can go read the current Snyder Justice League run and etc). I think it’s honestly worth the $8 a month for the comic library alone.
    Last edited by sifighter; 04-21-2020 at 08:52 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It's worth it for the comics, if you want a DC version of Marvel Unlimited.
    They carry all the DC Universe books that are released on Comixology (using the same files, even) up to one year ago.
    Due to licensing agreements between DC Comics and DC Universe (yeah, they're two separate divisions and have to bargain with each other), no imprints are included, while only a few Vertigo titles are available. The selected Vertigo titles were allowed to help support the Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing tv shows.

If your library offers Hoopla, you can get the Vertigo and Black Label stuff there.

However, if you're more into the shows than the comics, it's a mediocre service at best.
    It's missing all the Arrowverse shows due to pre-existing licensing contracts that likely will not change until X years after the last show is cancelled. Which may not be for another 5 or 10 years.
    It's got a good collection of classic shows. In particular Super Friends, the George Reeves Superman and the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman.
    But the absence of the Adam West Batman is a shame.

And as far as the new movies go, pre-existing licensing deals are set where after the DVD cycle is done, HBO has first run rights for all WB movies. So they don't go to DC Universe until after they spend time on HBO.

As for the DCAU, Batman is missing a few seasons. I didn't bother checking the rest because I'd want to re-watch the full run of Batman first.

I have DC Universe, but mainly for the comics.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-21-2020 at 09:48 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Mighty Member

And sorry to sound dumb but is this something you can connect with on both your cable connection to TV and PC or just one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    And sorry to sound dumb but is this something you can connect with on both your cable connection to TV and PC or just one of those?
    I’m not sure how to answer that one but you can play it on your computer and you can play it on Amazon fire tv, Apple, and Android TV. Hope that helps
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It’s worth every cent.

If you're solely in it for the comics stuff, then yes. But the Arrowverse stuff as well as a bunch of new streaming stuff is going to be on HBO Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    If you're solely in it for the comics stuff, then yes. But the Arrowverse stuff as well as a bunch of new streaming stuff is going to be on HBO Max.

this is what I was wondering... Is DC Universe going to keep going?? It seems like all their big draws are going to HBOMax and even Harley Quinn is showing up on SYFY.... Made me wonder if they were planning on shutting that down.
    Last edited by phantom1592; 04-22-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Mighty Member

I was wondering that too.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I’m not sure how to answer that one but you can play it on your computer and you can play it on Amazon fire tv, Apple, and Android TV. Hope that helps
    And on Roku.
    It’s nice to see the panels blown up on the tv.

Boisterously Confused

It is worth it for the comics, just bear in mind that many of the titles have good sized gaps in their collections, often multiples. That's not just their smaller titles, but Trinity and JL titles as well.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It is worth it for the comics, just bear in mind that many of the titles have good sized gaps in their collections, often multiples. That's not just their smaller titles, but Trinity and JL titles as well.
    What kind of good size gaps are we talking about here? And multiples?

I wouldn't bother. The televised stuff is no longer exclusive I think and comixology does a better job with the books

You can preview DC Universe by going to Comixology to see what's available.
    DC Comics supplies DC Universe with the same files they send to Comixology.

The only difference is that DC Universe is kept a year behind to avoid infringing on both retail and Comixology sales.

Boisterously Confused

Example: Superman (the 1939 series) goes from 1-23, 34-43, 76, 123, 233-242, 248, 257, 266, 305-308, 338, 365, 410-415, to 423 (the final issue in the original run). So there are not only gaps in the series, but gaps at multiple points along the way. The same is true for several of the other titles on the service.

That said, they do have A Lot of stuff on there. It would take you a good bit of time to get thru it all. Further, the advantage over comixology (who has a better interface IMO), is that your subscription gets you all of the titles they provide, with only a six-month delay on their new stuff. Buying access to that on comixology could get REALLY pricey.