Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Rate Bendis's run so far

As the title suggests, rate Bendis's run so far. Point out things you like and don't like.
    Pros

1. His voice for clark
    2. His world building with metropolis.
    3. Him creating a corner of dc centered around superman
    4. Some of his ideas in legion like the earth and united planets.
    5. Jimmy and lois getting a book.
    6. He gets good artists and writers.
    7. Sam lane was great. His death, hit home. (Sam is better hero and person than lois, clark, jor el.. Etc.singlehandedly, became my favourite character in the two run)
    8. Jon and ultraman relation.(though underdeveloped, did hit home)
    9. Some of the way Clark's powers have been used, especially the senses.
    10. Invisible mafia was cool.(but,the execution of their arc will deside their position)

Meh

1. Clark kent fake persona being gone and secret identity being outed(since, superman hasn't been a vigilante for a while. It doesn't really matter. The secretid is the last vestiges of vigilante superman)
    2. EL's being space royalty.

Cons

1. Clark kent and lois lane as parents and as a couple. They suck, period.
    2. Characterisation of Superman as a character has been boring and sometimes terrible . (i don't know why? But superman isn't well rounded. He is just there and paper thin)
    3. Characterisation of Clark kent/kal el as spineless man and an idiot. (his reaction to lois leaving his kid in soace with jor el was terrible.Clark not being able to take decisive action and actually approach hal., instead of running of into space like an idiot. His reaction to rogal zarr ending the bottled city)
    4. His lois has terrible characterisation as a person. She is insufferable twit and a coward. She is basically sakura. Yeeesh!
    5. Him never finishing an arc in a satisfactory manner.
    6. Predictable resolution to amped up mysteries like who is leviathan and cloud?
    7. Everything regarding jon has been dreadfully awful. (Him rushing through jon's missing years. His voice for jon and his lack of personality.jon being turned into gary stu with one true superman, creator of united planets)
    8. jon being a harley quinn after the neglect that was borderline abusive and criminal irresponsibility . (Him not suffering from any aftereffects of abuse. Him running back to the shitty parents)
    9. His pacing for stories have been bad.
    10. His villains are bland(rogal zarr, leviathan.. Etc)
    11. Some of the things he built wasn't devloped in main book the circle and the conspiracy with jor el, the circle
    12. His dialogues are kinda hard to get through and sometimes is awful.
    13. Legion having too many talking heads, bubbles and not having distinct personality.
    14. His run has bad and sometimes nonsensical design. For example, karate kid, Dawnstar, jon kent and rogal zarr.
    15. Lack of family, as family adventures (i know not objective. But, it matters to me)
    16. He didn't take the baton from tomasi and jurgens, ran with it like he promised.
    17. One of the reasons for the cancellation of supersons.
    18. Also, his supersons portrayal sucked.
    19. Superman being shoved aside by his legion. (Jon being friends with his parents friends)
    20. Clark not being legions inspiration. (jon being it)
    21. Lack of cool dynamics in legion.
    22. Trunks strongman suit being back without actually calling or acknowledgement of superman's strongman connection.
    23. jor el still sucks.
    24. Lack of bibbo bibbowski (the most important thing)
    25. lack of superman in action comics.

Overall, i am completely bored and unsatisfied.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-22-2020 at 05:26 AM.

Mighty Member

I’ve been having a blast with his run. It’s a shame that folks on here unfairly nitpick everything that he does. My only problem is that he doesn’t seem interested in using already established Superman. He has a such a large and extensive rogues gallery, yet only three of them are truly defined.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Loved all the Daily Planet and Metropolis stuff, but was bored by the Rogal Zarr stuff. I've been indifferent towards his stuff with Jon, but I have been enjoying this latest Legion of the Super-Heroes reboot as long as this "one true Superman" BS is just a misdirect.

Overall, I am really enjoying it because, at the very least, I know that Bendis has absolutely nailed Clark as a character. He just feels like Superman to me. He gets that the character is supposed to be fun and light. There's always supposed to be a sense of humor to his adventures. Too many creators forget that in their futile attempts to make the character "cool". Whatever you may think of Bendis, he is a funny guy and that comes through in his comics.

Pros-
    He gets good artists.

Cons-
    About everything else.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Really like it.

Superman's voice in his books is great, he has very good artists, he adds to the mythology and the books under his imprint make Superman really feel like a worldwide important force and influence.
    I also like it because it seems like something important, Not a placeholder run to keep the IP alive or a awful run that would be forgotten and retcon the next year.

The only things I don't like is the second arc of AC, because frankly it was boring, the decompression sometimes takes it toll especially in the first Superman arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Loved all the Daily Planet and Metropolis stuff, but was bored by the Rogal Zarr stuff. I've been indifferent towards his stuff with Jon, but I have been enjoying this latest Legion of the Super-Heroes reboot as long as this "one true Superman" BS is just a misdirect.

Overall, I am really enjoying it because, at the very least, I know that Bendis has absolutely nailed Clark as a character. He just feels like Superman to me. He gets that the character is supposed to be fun and light. There's always supposed to be a sense of humor to his adventures. Too many creators forget that in their futile attempts to make the character "cool". Whatever you may think of Bendis, he is a funny guy and that comes through in his comics.
    Forgive me. But, I don't understand this logic. How is having a sense of humour and being cool, mutually exclusive?since, when is cool and serious the same thing? I absolutely believe, superman is cool and badass, when he is written as one of the people. Otherwise, maybe not. I know this is me nitpicking on your comment. But, i hate that people think superman shouldn't be written as cool or badass.And I have always found idealists and stoics, badass. As they never back down from their ideals or can handle pain and suffering with a smile or whatever techniques they decide is apt for them.He is cool, when doesn't give a damn about what he is doing. Why? Because he thinks it's the right thing to do. He may rectify if its wrong. But, other than that he doesn't really care. That's when he is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    It’s a shame that folks on here unfairly nitpick everything that he does.
    I believe, this is one of the better places when it comes to reactions to his run. Everywhere else i have been to its largely negative to mixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    I also like it because it seems like something important, Not a placeholder run to keep the IP alive or a awful run that would be forgotten and retcon the next year.
    Yeah! That remains to be seen. We will see, 5G (or whatever they are doing currently) will cement how this run turns out.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-22-2020 at 03:57 AM.

Amazing Member

3/10

Bad idea, after bad idea. The books are still somewhat entertaining but the few good moments that we have get trampled by terrible ideas ou of character moments and overall execution.

I liked the invisible mafia, the way Superman has been using his powers overall and some small details stuff that are great. Like that time Superman cleaned the hot dog stand "again!" in front of the Daily Planet. Those little things are great. Also Rucka and Fraction are part of the team. And that gorgeous artwork from Ivan Reis! But the rest? Very mediocre at best.

First we got Rogol Zaar. New villain! And he destroyed Krypton! But Zaar was a dud and that plot went nowhere. To be explained, I hear, in Supergirl. At the same time his family goes to space with a terrorist (here he's just a weird alien grandpa) and Superman is like: "okaaay... but promise me you'll be good or else I'll worry!". Then we witnessed the fantastical character assassination of Lois Lane for a few months. Seriously, even Rucka is having trouble to make Lois likable again. Jon, who was finally fun and entertaining,is aged-up and ruined for everybody. Something, something Event Leviathan and Year of the villain are everywhere. Jor-El, turns out, is a massive terrorist after all (who would've guessed???) and his victims decide to elect the son of the terrorist to lead them forward. Jon says United Planets and this beautiful moment marks the return of the Legion of Super-Heroes. After all of this, Clark feels inspired and reveals his secret identity to the world. Perry White gives him a hug. Lois continues to be a terrible person and spoils the moment for Clark, Jimmy and us. Everybody else is happy and cheers . The day before Metropolis is attacked and almost destroyed but it'll be alright. Mongul kills some aliens and fights Superman.

In all seriousness though, this run had all the ingredients to be epic! A conspiracy plot from an invisible mafia that involves high ranking city officials of Metropolis, to an all out space war that would eventually resolve in a peace treaty leading to the formation of the United Planets. Even Superman finding out that Krypton was involved in some weird cabal that used a powerful alien shaman warrior to destroy planets! All good Superman stuff!
    Instead we got a convoluted mess. Everyone randomly acting out of character, entire plots get shoved into other books, are rushed into oblivion or get bogged down by inferior crossover events. Continuity between Superman and Action Comics is unclear most of the time. Not to mention the amount of one-shots and special issues that you gotta buy to make some sort of sense of everything that's going on. It's a shame really.

It's been consistent Trash

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Forgive me. But, I don't understand this logic. How is having a sense of humour and being cool, mutually exclusive?since, when is cool and serious the same thing? I absolutely believe, superman is cool and badass, when he is written as one of the people. Otherwise, maybe not. I know this is me nitpicking on your comment. But, i hate that people think superman shouldn't be written as cool or badass.And I have always found idealists and stoics, badass. As they never back down from their ideals or can handle pain and suffering with a smile or whatever techniques they decide is apt for them.He is cool, when doesn't give a damn about what he is doing. Why? Because he thinks it's the right thing to do. He may rectify if its wrong. But, other than that he doesn't really care. That's when he is cool.

When they appear together or Bendis uses one to discuss the other I think he clearly gets the push and pull of the two characters well. He doesn't drain the vitality from one to write the other.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperMule View Post
    3/10

Bad idea, after bad idea. The books are still somewhat entertaining but the few good moments that we have get trampled by terrible ideas ou of character moments and overall execution.

I liked the invisible mafia, the way Superman has been using his powers overall and some small details stuff that are great. Like that time Superman cleaned the hot dog stand "again!" in front of the Daily Planet. Those little things are great. Also Rucka and Fraction are part of the team. And that gorgeous artwork from Ivan Reis! But the rest? Very mediocre at best.

First we got Rogol Zaar. New villain! And he destroyed Krypton! But Zaar was a dud and that plot went nowhere. To be explained, I hear, in Supergirl. At the same time his family goes to space with a terrorist (here he's just a weird alien grandpa) and Superman is like: "okaaay... but promise me you'll be good or else I'll worry!". Then we witnessed the fantastical character assassination of Lois Lane for a few months. Seriously, even Rucka is having trouble to make Lois likable again. Jon, who was finally fun and entertaining,is aged-up and ruined for everybody. Something, something Event Leviathan and Year of the villain are everywhere. Jor-El, turns out, is a massive terrorist after all (who would've guessed???) and his victims decide to elect the son of the terrorist to lead them forward. Jon says United Planets and this beautiful moment marks the return of the Legion of Super-Heroes. After all of this, Clark feels inspired and reveals his secret identity to the world. Perry White gives him a hug. Lois continues to be a terrible person and spoils the moment for Clark, Jimmy and us. Everybody else is happy and cheers . The day before Metropolis is attacked and almost destroyed but it'll be alright. Mongul kills some aliens and fights Superman.

In all seriousness though, this run had all the ingredients to be epic! A conspiracy plot from an invisible mafia that involves high ranking city officials of Metropolis, to an all out space war that would eventually resolve in a peace treaty leading to the formation of the United Planets. Even Superman finding out that Krypton was involved in some weird cabal that used a powerful alien shaman warrior to destroy planets! All good Superman stuff!
    Instead we got a convoluted mess. Everyone randomly acting out of character, entire plots get shoved into other books, are rushed into oblivion or get bogged down by inferior crossover events. Continuity between Superman and Action Comics is unclear most of the time. Not to mention the amount of one-shots and special issues that you gotta buy to make some sort of sense of everything that's going on. It's a shame really.
    Almost same for me but I give more weight to his earnestness and Ivan Reis. So 5/10. With a co plotter or maybe just focusing on less titles I can see an 8. But man these stories are a mess. I plan on doing the trades to let them flow better, dropped Action. Will drop everything if Jon replaces Clark until it's flipped back.

But I really am glad it's all so popular here. If others are happy I'm happy they're getting something they like.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Oh. Another one of these, huh? Well I can never resist a good opportunity to vent.

Bendis...seems like a nice guy...sometimes. But his run made me stop reading Superman after the previous run and Action had finally made me a fan. Jon aside, I just dont care for Bendis as a writer and his constant need to be controversial while also saying he doesn't do stuff for shock value. Yes you do, sir. Yes you do. Shaking things up for attention has been your thing for years. At least be up front about it. I felt the same way about him over in Marvel. He's a guy who has decent ideas but the execution is almost always lacking. He's a nicer Dan Didio.

Though, as someone who'd only recently become a fan of Superman, I'm less offended by this run and more offended by his Young Justice. Those are the four characters I've loved for years, and I've gone from begging to have them back together, to not caring if they broke up again. Way to suck almost all the fun and personality out of a series that was nothing but fun and personality. At least when Johns did it, we got a good Teen Titans run in return.
    Last edited by Blue22; 04-22-2020 at 06:16 AM.

It’s ok, though I’m used to reading Bendis by now thanks to Marvel. If I had to grade it, it would be like a C+, probably more of a B- kind of comic. It’s not the best Superman run, it’s not the worst I’ve read either. It has moments I really like and it has moments I don’t. I think the first arc is meh, and while I’m mixed on Jon being a teenager(personally I can live with it I just ask you age up Damian and Conner with him) I think the book got better with his return and the building of the United Planets. I’ve also honestly really enjoyed his identity reveal arc and felt he’s written that very honestly or at least it feels better the the Truth story arc. I feel the same about his Action Comics run, though I wasn’t a fan of the last arc besides the return of Conner Kent to Superman’s life.

I’ll even go as far to say this because it’s tangentially connected, I don’t hate his Legion of Superheroes except for that little Damian comment he made(you know the one). At this point I’ve read multiple Legion reboots and iterations that I’ll wait and see what he has planned.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Reread what I wrote again. You see how I put "cool" in quotation marks? That was hint

Worst Superman run in years. Can’t end soon enough.
    -Screwed up Clark’s backstory for the sake of a crappy villain
    -screwed up Clark’s family in a way that made zero sense, and frankly made them all idiots.
    -Clark reveals his secret identity, because he’s an idiot now, doesn’t even lose his job somehow because reasons.
    -The stories are boring, the dialogue is embarrassingly bad

The United Planets is the one good idea. Keep that, scrap everything else. Or better yet, scrap that too and give it another shot with better foundation.

Well the art is good at least.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 04-22-2020 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Worst Superman run in years. Can’t end soon enough.
    -Screwed up Clark’s backstory for the sake of a crappy villain
    -screwed up Clark’s family in a way that made zero sense, and frankly made them all idiots.
    -Clark reveals his secret identity, because he’s an idiot now, doesn’t even lose his job somehow because reasons.
    -The stories are boring, the dialogue is embarrassingly bad

The United Planets is the one good idea. Keep that, scrap everything else. Or better yet, scrap that too and give it another shot with better foundation.

Well the art is good at least.
    Am I understanding you correctly? Superman no longer has his Clark Kent identity? Did that like destroy his whole world? Lois can't marry a guy with no SSN after all. What was the reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Am I understanding you correctly? Superman no longer has his Clark Kent identity? Did that like destroy his whole world? Lois can't marry a guy with no SSN after all. What was the reasoning?
    Lois is already married to clark. She has kid with him. Jon kent. The reasoning was Jor el was conspirator of mass genocides and had been linked to destruction of Krypton itself. He is a terrorist. He broke several rules regading timetravel, creation of life forms.. Etc. He created a creature that was used by a intergalactic group to do dirty work and finally lead this creature destroyed krypton . Clark wants to get away from the lies, cheating and fraud seeing his father's acts.So, he decides to come clean.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-22-2020 at 10:18 PM.