Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace

A new digital series just launched today, Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace. Diana teams up with Harley Quinn when the Clown Princess of Crime is targeted by assassins. Harley fancies herself as Wonder Girl, but Diana won't have it! I'd have liked to see Donna and Cassie's reaction to that. They don't appear. It's only 99 cents, so grab it, unless you already bought the recent Wonder Woman Giant #1, which if I'm not mistaken included this story.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Never read anything written by Connor before but Harley Quinn being in a WW story is kind of a steer clear sign for me.

I know Conner probably couldn't resist Harley, but unless the story involves Diana throwing Harley into the slammer, I'm not too enthusiastic...

I'll agree with you two. So tired of heroes ignoring murderers murdering because the murderer is a popular character. It's a long-standing problem, of course. I mean, she can still save Harley from being murdered as long as she still wants (and achieves) Harley imprisioned. But I'm afraid it's going to wacky hi-jinks and little acknowledgement of Haley as a villain.

Wonder if the assassins were hired by a family member of an innocent she killed...well, probably not. Honest citizens might not know how to hire competent assassins.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...unless the story involves Diana throwing Harley into the slammer, I'm not too enthusiastic...
    The SUN has a vacancy...how about chucking her into that?

The 'Agent Of Peace' title sounds so much like something that wouldn't be marred by the always-forced Wonder Woman/Harley Quinn interaction. Sorry! Just don't see any Diana I recognize palling around with mass-murdering psychopaths ..or their executive assistants. I must say I'm a little disappointed, ..but gratefully forewarned, just the same.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'll agree with you two. So tired of heroes ignoring murderers murdering because the murderer is a popular character. It's a long-standing problem, of course. I mean, she can still save Harley from being murdered as long as she still wants (and achieves) Harley imprisioned. But I'm afraid it's going to wacky hi-jinks and little acknowledgement of Haley as a villain.

Wonder if the assassins were hired by a family member of an innocent she killed...well, probably not. Honest citizens might not know how to hire competent assassins.
    Yeah, Quinn's a big reason I've soured on the concept of the "sympathetic villain". At least how it's currently written in most comics/media.

Grabbed it and read it.

To me, it read more like filler stuff, and not up to Conner's and Palmiotti's usual standard. In a way, it felt like they were holding back. It's not bad, but it's not great, that interesting, or that funny either.

I think my main quibble with the book is with the depiction of Diana's personality, especially with regards to how she reacts to Harley Quinn. Harley is of course a huge Wonder Woman fangurrl, and while not as over-the-top as in The Little Black Book, certainly is zany and mercurial. But Diana doesn't react with serenity (as is the usual modern take) or with matching Harley's wittiness (as would be suited for the Golden Age Diana). Instead we get exasparation more than anything.

And the running gag of policemen and guards not believing Diana is Wonder Woman falls a bit flat. Most amusing is probably the reaction of the various bad guys once they get confronted by her.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I still have nightmares about when they had that Justice League vs. Injustice League or whatever series and Harley was Diana's villain. Blegh.

This really felt like a Wonder Woman story that got hijacked by Harley Quinn, especially compared to some of the other DC Digital First books I read this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    And the running gag of policemen and guards not believing Diana is Wonder Woman falls a bit flat. Most amusing is probably the reaction of the various bad guys once they get confronted by her.
    I thought it was more odd that Harley Quinn walked into a police station and nobody freaked out.

Issue was exactly what I feared it would be; Diana taking a backseat to Harley Quinn in her own book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Issue was exactly what I feared it would be; Diana taking a backseat to Harley Quinn in her own book.
    And why is that? I don't have that impression myself, but I can see how their interaction can be interpreted that way.

I think it's because Diana for a far too long time has been made blander and blander in personality. In the Golden Age, Wonder Woman was the most colourful and vibrant personality in her stories, but her personality has been lessened for far too long a time. Wilson described it well, "our instincts as writers is just to pile on gravitas". And that can work well in the right story and with the right writer. But here what should be gravitas and seriousness was turned into petty annoyance.

A much better take on Diana in a situation like this would be "Morning Coffee" from Sensation Comics featuring Wonder Woman, where Diana and Catwoman take turns being sassy with each other.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

And why is that? I don't have that impression myself, but I can see how their interaction can be interpreted that way.

I think it's because Diana for a far too long time has been made blander and blander in personality. In the Golden Age, Wonder Woman was the most colourful and vibrant personality in her stories, but her personality has been lessened for far too long a time. Wilson described it well, "our instincts as writers is just to pile on gravitas". And that can work well in the right story and with the right writer. But here what should be gravitas and seriousness was turned into petty annoyance.

A much better take on Diana in a situation like this would be "Morning Coffee" from Sensation Comics featuring Wonder Woman, where Diana and Catwoman take turns being sassy with each other.
    I think it's just more because Conner and Palmiotti are so used to writing Harley and her in-your-face personality that she just tends to eat up panels and focus just through her very presence. That and she just kind of forces characters into being her straight men/women.

The next issue has Lois Lane so hopefully she'll make a more complimentary and sensible co-star for Diana then Harley was here.

The next issue has Lois Lane so hopefully she'll make a more complimentary and sensible co-star for Diana then Harley was here.
    Hope so. But, unlike Harley, I want Lois to shine.

I think the answer is fairly straightforward in that Connor and Palmiotti prefer Harley Quinn to Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Sounds more like a spin-off from Harley series by Conner and Palmiotti than a Wonder Woman story