Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Issue today used Dr. Psycho, decent enough issue but ending felt very rushed.

Written by Marv Wolfman, too, and it showed what a really good writer can do. It was a lot more tense and filled with suspense than nearly every other Wonder Woman story I've read.

That doesn't mean it's flawless. The ending was a bit rushed, but not too bad, perhaps mainly because we got to see too little of Diana's thought processes and actions here, so the shift from her being reactive to her taking decisive action is too sudden.

I'd also have liked a more updated version of Dr Psycho. Now, this is a short one-shot, but Morrison had already provided a template for that in Earth One, ready to use.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I enjoyed this one, but not quite as much as the Megan Hetrick-illustrated one about Etta Candy. I wish this series (and Gotham Nights) were more by a single writer, so there was some sense of continuity. I know that's kind of against the whole "anthology" approach, but I think the power of a one-shot comes with the theme and variations. If there's no "theme," then the variations have less interest for me.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I enjoyed this one, but not quite as much as the Megan Hetrick-illustrated one about Etta Candy. I wish this series (and Gotham Nights) were more by a single writer, so there was some sense of continuity. I know that's kind of against the whole "anthology" approach, but I think the power of a one-shot comes with the theme and variations. If there's no "theme," then the variations have less interest for me.
    Yeah, these are reprints so far from the Wal-Mart stuff but would be nice if this continues with new stuff if they get someone to be the main writer on all of them.

Though that might just mean more Connor/Palmiotti so double-edged sword.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Issue #10 was the first issue I bought of this series but I really enjoyed it. Sure it was short and the ending was a bit rushed but DC only gave the creative team 17 pages to work with so I'm sure sacrifices needed to be made. Dr. Psycho was presented as a credible threat. I hope his appearance here inspires him to transcend over to the regular DCU Wonder Woman title soon as Max Lord is just a poor man's (rich) Dr. Pyscho.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

In a way, Wolfman's story shows some of the tradeoffs that you do as a writer in deciding what to show. Could the ending have become less rushed and sudden? Yes, by showing more of Diana's thought processes. But at the same time, that would have lessened the action and the tension of the story.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

For the space alloted, I thought the Dr. Psycho issue was pretty good. I liked how he used his powers to torment Diana and the scheme to create a weapon to amplify his powers. I'm not exactly sure how she broke Psycho's control, but for me, it showed Psycho definitely has potential as a major rogue. While reading, I actually thought a really good read would be Wonder Woman vs. the Doctors (Poison, Psycho, Cyber). The three together could pose a serious threat for Diana, Argus and the world if given a chance to shine in a narrative. Oh well, what may never be.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    For the space alloted, I thought the Dr. Psycho issue was pretty good. I liked how he used his powers to torment Diana and the scheme to create a weapon to amplify his powers. I'm not exactly sure how she broke Psycho's control, but for me, it showed Psycho definitely has potential as a major rogue. While reading, I actually thought a really good read would be Wonder Woman vs. the Doctors (Poison, Psycho, Cyber). The three together could pose a serious threat for Diana, Argus and the world if given a chance to shine in a narrative. Oh well, what may never be.
    Psycho never controlled Diana, at least not directly. What he did was controlling the hostages, and using the external threats against the hostages in order make Diana do his bidding.

Two more issues have been solicited for the next two weeks; another one by Connor/Palmiotti and one by Liz Erickson the week after.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I really hope this doesn't end. This book - all of these digital first books - are the most accessible and pleasing product DC has come out with in a good long time.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I really hope this doesn't end. This book - all of these digital first books - are the most accessible and pleasing product DC has come out with in a good long time.
    Yeah, I have to say in light of stuff like all the world-shattering nonsense of Metal, JL, and DCeased books recently this and the Superman stuff have been rather refreshing for the most part.

The newest issue is further evidence that Palmiotti and Connor don't care a lick about Wondy's established rogues gallery.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    The newest issue is further evidence that Palmiotti and Connor don't care a lick about Wondy's established rogues gallery.
    May I ask who was the villain of the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    May I ask who was the villain of the issue?
    Some random woman named Julian Red.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Some random woman named Julian Red.

Really? Ugh....and here I thought that after their use of obscure characters like Egg Fu and Vartox, we'd see them bring in several of Diana's rogues. :/
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.