Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 102
  1. #31
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The magic lasso (of truth) the magic sphere and the lasso transformation were all magical.
    The lasso is a prop/tool to me - nothing to do with magical stories or foes or traits of Diana's (I mean, IIRC, it was just a gift from the others and its creation involved Greek goddesses). The transformation (if what I'm thinking of) was temporary and not particularly important. I don't recall seeing her ever work magic, particularly understand magic (again, outside the specific range of the Greek myths, which were always prominent), or fight magic much in the the oldest stories. So when did that start? Because in old stories, I would not have thought her connected to (generic, non Greek-mythology-based) magic any more than anyone else. I fully acknowledge that magic involving Greek Goddesses and Greek mythology has been there since day one. I was really thinking about when she became attached/connected to magic in the broader sense.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 04-30-2020 at 12:50 PM.

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    23,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Going off on a tangent - when did Diana get so connected to magic, anyway? Mythology connection is, of course, ancient. But there was a lot more tech than magic (excluding the gods and goddesses) in the early stuff.
    The George Perez run.

  3. #33
    Incredible Member Largo161's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Oh, I'm not thinking about the monster. I'm thinking of how Diana reacts to and approaches Shan Xiao.

    Diana is as much a being of earth as Shan Xiao, with her receiving the blessing of Demeter and being crafted from Gaia's clay. Her approach shouldn't be to solve the problem, but to understand the nature of the problem.
    Are you saying Diana was sculpted from clay in this story?

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Are you saying Diana was sculpted from clay in this story?
    It's unsaid, and then I always assume that the clay origin is in effect.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  5. #35
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    23,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The second issue was a major improvement. It helped that Harley wasn't around and WW was doing WW things.
    Though there was one major gaffe. Superman wasn't there because he was off in space with the Justice League? Shouldn't Diana have ALSO been with the League then? They should've come up with some other excuse for Clark to not be around to stop the plane crash.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  6. #36
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    644

    Default

    Here's a link to the preview for #3.

    Etta is spoilers:
    white again.
    end of spoilers

    Is Agent of Peace supposed to be in continuity?
    Last edited by Frank; 05-04-2020 at 03:49 PM.

  7. #37
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Here's a link to the preview for #3.

    Etta is spoilers:
    white again.
    end of spoilers

    Is Agent of Peace supposed to be in continuity?
    Heh, I'm kinda surprised spoilers:
    they kept her in the military
    end of spoilers.
    If we're going AU, going the other way is a route I'd like to see more of again.

    spoilers:
    Of course, since her memory seems to have been played with, maybe it's been played with a lot.
    end of spoilers

  8. #38
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    The lasso is a prop/tool to me - nothing to do with magical stories or foes or traits of Diana's (I mean, IIRC, it was just a gift from the others and its creation involved Greek goddesses). The transformation (if what I'm thinking of) was temporary and not particularly important. I don't recall seeing her ever work magic, particularly understand magic (again, outside the specific range of the Greek myths, which were always prominent), or fight magic much in the the oldest stories. So when did that start? Because in old stories, I would not have thought her connected to (generic, non Greek-mythology-based) magic any more than anyone else. I fully acknowledge that magic involving Greek Goddesses and Greek mythology has been there since day one. I was really thinking about when she became attached/connected to magic in the broader sense.
    The lasso of truth was simply called the magic lasso for decades. It was made from links taken from from Hippolyta's magic girdle, which was a magical artifact from myth that Hercules was attempting to steal. Truth telling aren't it's only abilities, it dispels illusions, protects the encircled from magical attacks with the fires of Hestia, can be any length and is incapable of being broken by man or god.

    That's just the Golden Age. Wonder Woman's theme song describes her as magic, it's an intrinsic part of her make-up and creation.

    Post-Crisis Perez made magic the reason for the enmity between Diana and Circe. Diana is another name for Hecate and Circe saw Wonder Woman as the witch who would replace her. Over the years this morphed into Wonder Woman being witch-marked and the vessel for mankind's ultimate destruction by Hecate.

    But you're right, despite the names of her tools and visitation by otherworldly and magical beings the depths of Wonder Woman's magic weren't really explored until recently. It does exist however, a fact first made clear to me when Black Alice borrowed Diana's magic and recreated her tools which would have been impossible if Dina weren't first a magical creature.

    WW BLACK ALICE 3.jpg

    WW BLACK ALICE.jpg

    So however it originated, it's now set in stone that Wonder Woman is magical.

  9. #39
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,435

    Default

    The lasso of truth was simply called the magic lasso for decades. It was made from links taken from from Hippolyta's magic girdle, which was a magical artifact from myth that Hercules was attempting to steal. Truth telling aren't it's only abilities, it dispels illusions, protects the encircled from magical attacks with the fires of Hestia, can be any length and is incapable of being broken by man or god.
    I know that. It's a superhero prop - like Cap's shield. And it's, as you said, specifically tied to mythological origins, when I'm talking bout magic in a broad, general sense.

    So however it originated, it's now set in stone that Wonder Woman is magical.
    Well, (almost) nothing is set in stone, but I take your point. I've never thought it really fundamental, outside the mythology - not something I'd mention if describing the character to someone, didn't turn up in the movie, etc. Not really particularly fond of it, to be honest. Just not that into magic or mythology in my comic stories (books and movies, I like fantasy fine - it's weird, but I'm the same about space-based adventures - I like tv shows with them, but it's not what I want from comic books). I preferred when WW had much more "real world" based adventures.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 05-08-2020 at 03:50 PM.

  10. #40
    Mighty Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    Second issue was better than the first, if only because Lois is a better character to team Diana up with, but something is just off to me how Diana is written to speak. I know she tends to be written to speak more formally but comes off rather clunky here for whatever reason.

  11. #41

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    Are Socialite and Lion Mane new characters or really obscure ones? I really want to see how some other characters fared in their endeavors.

  13. #43
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Are Socialite and Lion Mane new characters or really obscure ones? I really want to see how some other characters fared in their endeavors.
    Is it redundant to have a Cheetah and a Lion Mane? What's the point?

    Why is the Wonder Woman comic filled with non-Wonder Woman villains?

  14. #44
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Is it redundant to have a Cheetah and a Lion Mane? What's the point?

    Why is the Wonder Woman comic filled with non-Wonder Woman villains?
    I was frustrated with that when I read the physical copy like a month ago. Luckily, the second new comic in the physical copy is a fun Gundra story. Unluckily, they don't include that in this digital version.

    Why Cheetah is working with (or for, as it seems he's the leader) Penguin, I have no idea. Conner and Palmiotti seem to have no desire to use any actual WW characters (sure, they used the unpopular Gorilla Knights last issue... whoopie). That cast of villains could have easily been filled with Wonder Woman rogues, with Dr. Poison taking over Scarecrow's role in it (or Dr. Psycho, or the Duke of Deception, or Hypnota, or literally any other telepathic/mind controlling character).

    I actually liked this story for the most part (cept for the aforementioned Cheetah stuff), but I really hope we actually start seeing more Wonder Woman stuff in it and less borrowing from other parts of the DC Universe (which let's be real, is primarily Batman/Gotham).

  15. #45
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Is it redundant to have a Cheetah and a Lion Mane? What's the point?

    Lion Mane was a Batwing foe but he and Cheetah are both members of the animalistic supervillain team called the Menagerie that appeared in Steve's Forever Evil: A.R.G.U.S. book.

    Menagerie_01.jpg

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •