Default Spidey crossovers you would have liked back in the day

Talk of the Spider-man/Spawn crossover got me thinking.

Personally, I think that at one time it would have been great, but the ship has long since sailed on most people caring about Spawn.

At one time it would have be a guaranteed hit. It's just no longer that time.

That led me to think of something else. What Spider-man crossovers would you liked to have seen at one point, but you now feel are too late for?

For instance, I would have at one point loved a Kyle Rayner/Spider-man crossover back when he was still a rookie hero, but the guy has moved past that point and him getting the "great power/great responsibility" speech would be pointless now.

Likewise a 90s Superboy/Ben Reilly crossover could have also been cool seeing as how they were both clones trying to live up to a bigger legacy but those issues with the characters are gone now.

A Spider-man/Tick would have been great but the Tick just isn't the draw he used to be.

BANNED

The crossover I'd like and one which would still be fresh if they do it today, and one that is especially more possible now than before is...Spider-Man/Donald Duck.

We had Tom King's amazing Batman and Elmer Fudd crossover a few years back, right? So I'd like one where Spider-Man...and by that I mean Spider-Man, not Spider-Ham or any funny animal alternative, crossover into the world of Donald Duck as Carl Barks and Don Rosa concieved him. Both characters Peter and Donald are similar in certain key respects, but also different that you can have contrasts. Donald also has a Superhero alter-ego called Paperinik. Tom King made the Looney Tunes world and Gotham world speak to each other, so something in the same key would be great, albeit not directly the same style and pattenr. And since Disney owns both Spider-Man and Donald, it's within the same ballpark so to speak. Donald's always been a character who is more accessible to adaptations than Mickey Mouse, so it wouldn't pose a lot of problems as far as Disney's brand is concerned.

Alternatively, Spider-Man and Bugs Bunny. A lot of writers have said that Spider-Man is like Bugs Bunny (although the ones who say this write Spider-Man like he's Daffy Duck). Both are New Yorkers. And it would be interesting to see what Bugs makes of Spider-Man. It could be a cool team-up. Spider-Man and Bugs versus Kraven the Hunter and Elmer Fudd. Only issue it runs into being a little too similar to the Tom King story.

As far as Spider-Man and other superheroes goes, I am not crazy about Spider-Man/Spawn, and in fact would not have been in the 90s. As far as I am concerned, the first crossover (Superman v. TASM) did it best and none of the others compare to it, so I don't care either way. I think it would be interesting to have Spider-Man and Batman cross paths albeit in a transplant where Spider-Man goes to Gotham and Batman comes to Marvel New York. So you can have Spider-Man protecting Gotham in his own way, and interacting with Batman's cast and his rogues, including a trip to Arkham Asylum, while Batman likewise handles Marvel New York and has to handle Spider-Man's world...and it would be cool to have Batman fight Wilson Fisk, since that would be an interesting evenly matched side without the usual jobbing involved to make Fisk a threat to non-supers.

Spider-Man and Scooby-Doo.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Ultimate Marvel/Wildstorm Universe, since those two universes had a fair amount in common --- superhumans policed and recruited by the government or affiliated entities, deep-seated distrust and suspicion of those superhumans by said government-affiliated entities and much of the general public, superhumans largely being products of the military-industrial complex trying to create super-soldiers through biological augmentation and genetic engineering, morally ambiguous "heroes," and an overall bleakness of tone with all the above considered. I'd have also gone for Ultimate Marvel/DC New 52, since a lot of the New 52 was basically chasing after the same audience as Ultimate Marvel by radically revamping the DC Universe with a much darker tone and atmosphere, especially with the elements it incorporated from Wildstorm.

More character-specific, though, Spider-Man/Gen13 would have been my jam back in the day, especially for Spider-Man/Caitlin Fairchild, given they were both weak, skinny nerds who gained superpowers that dramatically enhanced their physiques, while ultimately being driven by a strong sense of responsibility. I would think they'd have a lot to talk about, and since Caitlin is also a stunning redheaded bombshell and superhuman powerhouse . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Just got a cool idea.

Spider-Man and Scott Pilgrim. This can work with both Peter Parker or Miles Morales as well as Spider-Gwen. I think Miles might fit better since both him and Scott are 21st Century characters. You can have Miles and his love for Hip Hop go against Scott Pilgrim's interest in indie-rock. Miles and Ganke and others would fit easily with that.

You can also incorporate other stuff like say include the Mary Janes as a rock band, if you go with Spider-Gwen and Miles. So this will be cool.

Astonishing Member

I'd like to see an Archie crossover set during Peter's high school years.

Circa 1980, Spider-Man & Batman. Bronze Era. no wedding. No post-miller bat-a-hole. Peter would be Dick's age, roughly, or just a touch older.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 04-25-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Circa 1980, Spider-Man & Batman. Bronze Era. no wedding. No post-miller bat-a-hole. Peter would be Dick's age, roughly, or just a touch older.
    Imagine a Spider-Man/ Teen Titans crossover in the early 80s by Marv Wolfman. I'm not sure who would draw since George Perez wasn't that great at Spidey. Maybe Keith Pollard?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Imagine a Spider-Man/ Teen Titans crossover in the early 80s by Marv Wolfman. I'm not sure who would draw since George Perez wasn't that great at Spidey. Maybe Keith Pollard?
    In the actual early 80s, Perez was set up to do JLA/Avengers with Roy Thomas but that project got shelved. It got revived again when Kurt Busiek did it with Perez almost 20 years later.

OTOH, Teen Titans/X-Men by Claremont/Simonson happened in 1982 and you had the 1981 Superman and Spider-Man crossover (which is mostly just Superman versus Doctor Doom with Spider-Man just providing ringside commentary).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    a commission splash page with all of them together by Pollard could be cool. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    a commission splash page with all of them together by Pollard could be cool. Nice.
    You're going to have to let us see that one when it's done.

Incredible Member

Spidey and TMNT. The various Batman/TMNT crossovers were better than anyone really expected and while a lot of fans would love a Daredevil crossover beyond the whole lamp shading how one is based on the other. A crossover with Spider-Man sounds much more fun to me.

Mighty Member

I think a spanw spider-man crossover would still work since I like spawn I mean spawn is barely 90’s at this point also a tmnt and spider would be cool too.

Incredible Member

I suppose, while it would have been neat somewhere in the mid-eighties, but most gratefully, it's still not too late today:
    Spider-Man and Muppet Babies (and yes, I am aware of that episode, it introduced my-then extremely young eyes to Spider-Man)
    Spider-Man and Star Wars Droids (R2-D2 & C-3PO),
    Spider-Man and the Ewoks.
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-01-2020 at 07:19 PM.