Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This cover begs the question What the hell is Zorro doing on skis??\
    LOL Yes it does! That's great!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    Skiing, or traveling over snow on skis, has a history of at least eight millennia. The earliest archaeological examples of skis were found in Russia and date to 6000 BCE
    Spanish California and trade at the time extended north past San Frasisco, through what is now British Columbia(where there were also Russian traders), outposts as far up the Pacific coast as Alaska 1775 . And well into the Sierra Nevada literally Spanish snowy mountains (not sure where the story takes place?), where that era's Zorro could have well traversed.
    But yes it's a striking and delightfully incongruous image and cover, which makes me want to pick up that series run. (also to find out who that Wolverineish Mountain man is?) Awsome cover
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-24-2020 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    LOL Yes it does! That's great!

Spanish California and trade at the time extended north past San Frasisco, through what is now British Columbia(where there were also Russian traders), outposts as far up the Pacific coast as Alaska 1775 . And well into the Sierra Nevada literally Spanish snowy mountains (not sure where the story takes place?), where that era's Zorro could have well traversed.
    But yes it's a striking and delightfully incongruous image and cover, which makes me want to pick up that series run. (also to find out who that Wolverineish Mountain man is?) Awsome cover
    It is one of the Zorro series that I don't have, but the description I was able to find says that Zorro travels to the frigid north of California, so I would assume it is set in either the Cascades of the Sierra Nevadas.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Hey, thanks for the research guys. We tend to overlook that the Spanish presence on the Western coast was pretty extensive. Not to mention down in Central America and the South American continent. It was also a surprise to me that it is written by Don MacGregor, who had some influential runs at Marvel like when he turned reprint comic Jungle Action into a respected Black Panther Series.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-24-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    Skiing, or traveling over snow on skis, has a history of at least eight millennia. The earliest archaeological examples of skis were found in Russia and date to 6000 BCE
    Yup!

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Hey, thanks for the research guys. We tend to overlook that the Spanish presence on the Western coast was pretty extensive. Not to mention down in Central America and the South American continent. It was also a surprise to me that it is written by Don MacGregor, who had some influential runs at Marvel like when he turned reprint comic Jungle Action into a respected Black Panther Series.
    McGregor has done a lot of work with Zorro. He wrote the Zorro Topps series (and a few others for them) and then did Zorro again (this time with a more YA bent) when Papercutz did their Zorro OGN books and ongoing comics. He also wrote the Zorro newspaper strip for a couple of years (the first year of which was collected by Image) . He did a follow up to the Topps series continuity with a Dynamite series too.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    McGregor has done a lot of work with Zorro. He wrote the Zorro Topps series (and a few others for them) and then did Zorro again (this time with a more YA bent) when Papercutz did their Zorro OGN books and ongoing comics. He also wrote the Zorro newspaper strip for a couple of years (the first year of which was collected by Image) . He did a follow up to the Topps series continuity with a Dynamite series too.

-M
    And McGegor definitely does his research about Spanish Colonial California. His first Lady Rawhide miniseries had details about Russian whalers visiting San Francisco during this period that I had never encountered before.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I was just surprised to read how active he was with his writing. you guys probably already know about it, but I've been reading up about him on his official website (*corrected link*) and his cherished friends Gene Colan, Rich Buckler and Dwayne McDuffie
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-25-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Rob Allen for Diana Prince as Emma Peel.

Lord Mikel

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

foxley for Doc Savage on rocket powered skis! Awesome!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-28-2020 at 01:46 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Tami, for demonstrating somewhat proper technique.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Güicho for the sheer absurdity!