Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alicia Silverstone Speaks on Batman & Robin Body-Shaming Backlash

In a recent interview with The Guardian, the Clueless star spoke about the experience of being flung into mainstream stardom

“They would make fun of my body when I was younger,” Silverstone said. “It was hurtful but I knew they were wrong. I wasn’t confused. I knew that it was not right to make fun of someone’s body shape, that doesn’t seem like the right thing to be doing to a human.”

She says that her role as Batgirl in Joel Schumacher’s Batman & Robin “definitely wasn’t [her] favourite film-making experience” and that it brought a new focus on her weight. According to the article, the tabloids would refer to her as “Fatgirl,” and some paparazzi would chant that to her as they chased her for pics.
    https://www.themarysue.com/alicia-si...#disqus_thread

Astonishing Member

It was attrocious how the media mocked Alicia Silverstone's weight at that stage of her career. She had become a cultural icon after Clueless, and looked fantastic!

alicia-silverstone-696x442.jpg

Ultimate Member

I never liked that movie, but not because of her weight, but more because of the bad writing for all...

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Blasphemers! Curvy Batgirl is even better

Despite what many with rose tinted eyeballs will tell you, the 90s were INFACT surprisingly ****.

Well, i sure as hell remember thinking that this girl was mighty attractive back then.

People are crazy but eh, what's new?

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

That doesn't tally with my own personal recollection of Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl. I thought she looked incredibly hot.

Fatgirl? Get outta here! Terrible film though.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

BANNED

Who ever called her fat has massive Problems. She was hot and one of the few good Things in this movie.

Extraordinary Member

I remember her also from the Aerosmith videos of the 90s. I think she was in three of them. She was so hot.

I was a kid then so didn't know all the Hollywood gossip and crap, but Alicia Silverstone was stunning as Batgirl and definitely not fat. The only body shaming that needed to be done was on those rubber nipples, but Alicia was great.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Despite what many with rose tinted eyeballs will tell you, the 90s were INFACT surprisingly ****.
    The year is just a number. People in general are awful no matter the decade.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Batman & Robin was utter ****, making Batman Forever look like Citizen Kane, but Alicia Silverstone was damn good as Batgirl. Whoever thought she was fat needed a check up from the neck up.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    That doesn't tally with my own personal recollection of Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl. I thought she looked incredibly hot.

Fatgirl? Get outta here! Terrible film though.
    I believe she had previously auditioned for Bay Watch and was not only rejected but given a lecture by the women who did the auditioning for wasting their time and for carrying too much weight. But this is Hollywood. Being overweight for a woman means you can't clearly see her ribs.
    Power with Girl is better.

Even before Clueless (a movie I absolutely loved), I developed a thing for her from the Aerosmith videos. Next to Kelly Kapowski, she was probably by biggest crush growing up.

I had no idea her body was even an issue. The world sometimes looks so much rosier pre-internet.

Her critics are completely insane.

Alicia was freaking beautiful in the 90s. She, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Melissa Joan Hart were the fantasies of nearly every teen boy in america during the 90s.