Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Disney+ series in the works

Looks like maybe a third live action that might revolve around a female protagonist, although it's a bit unclear whether it's a familiar character or someone new.

The "alternate timeline" bit in the article is a bit interesting, but I wouldn't go hoping for Mara Jade or Jaina Solo to show up just yet. It seems like they might've meant an unexplored part of the timeline, which possibly could mean High Republic.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/new-sta...us-1202915221/
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-23-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Looked at the showrunner's IMDB. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2853516/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1 It's not promising, which means she will fit in just fine with the rest of Kennedy's hires for the Kenobi and Rogue One prequel.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Not really that excited about an "alternate timeline".
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Not really that excited about an "alternate timeline".
    It could lead to a lot of very exciting stuff for the futur though if they are open to the idea of different timelines. An adaptation of Zhan's trilogy? An alternative world in which the Empire has won?

I don't know, i can see potential in that. Of course it's Disney so my expectations are always kinda low but i'm an optimistic kind of guy.

Surprise me Mickey, surprise me you damn greedy mouse!!

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    It could lead to a lot of very exciting stuff for the futur though if they are open to the idea of different timelines. An adaptation of Zhan's trilogy? An alternative world in which the Empire has won?

I don't know, i can see potential in that. Of course it's Disney so my expectations are always kinda low but i'm an optimistic kind of guy.

Surprise me Mickey, surprise me you damn greedy mouse!!
    I have trouble explaining all the jumping around in time that has gone on in the last movies and series to people, not every one that watches these keeps up with every thing... it will be confusing to throw in an "alternate timeline" with more cannon and non-cannon/Legends/Disney cannon/ Disney non-cannon. Just not that excited about it
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Extraordinary Member

The only “alternate universe” stuff I could see justifying using that would be either to do an adaptation of proven Legends material, or to create an What If? style universe featuring major characters from the movies.

There’s literally no other real reason to do an alternate reality in this franchise; LFL should know very well that they can set any property at a different timeline slot to achieve the same goal as an alternate reality tale in any scenario that doesn’t either involve canon characters doing something non-canonical, or characters who’s existence for some reason has to be non-canonical.

So I’m feeling this is probably more “different part of the timeline” than it is “alternate timeline.”

I mean, I’d still kill to see Mara Jade or Jaina Solo as leads to prove where the ST went wrong with Rey, or see something crazy like a “What If - Rey were just a Skywalker?” Type of story to do the same thing, but in a more biting fashion.

But that ain’t happening.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Looked at the showrunner's IMDB. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2853516/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1 It's not promising, which means she will fit in just fine with the rest of Kennedy's hires for the Kenobi and Rogue One prequel.
    We should have a counter here: It's been X days since Anthony last fixated on Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like maybe a third live action that might revolve around a female protagonist, although it's a bit unclear whether it's a familiar character or someone new.

The "alternate timeline" bit in the article is a bit interesting, but I wouldn't go hoping for Mara Jade or Jaina Solo to show up just yet. It seems like they might've meant an unexplored part of the timeline, which possibly could mean High Republic.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/new-sta...us-1202915221/
    I'm foreseeing certain parts of the internet gnashing their teeth at these rumors. Me, I'm curious, but want to know more first.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    We should have a counter here: It's been X days since Anthony last fixated on Kennedy
    It has been getting annoying.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Sounds like a shitshow in the making. The inevitable shitstorm should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Sounds like a shitshow in the making. The inevitable shitstorm should be fun.
    Maybe it will star Doctor Aphra. Hey, did you know that Doctor Aphra is the Star Wars equivalent of Indiana Jones? I'm probably the first person to tell you that.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I think the analogy is mainly that because she's an archaeologist. She's quite different (also an LGBT character as well, implied in Vader and Star Wars but very much confirmed in her own title). Indiana Jones is probably the best known archaeologist in modern pop culture (with maybe Lara Croft second?), and of course, Indy has always been a "sister" series to Star Wars on some level, although not quite far on the same level of content/merchandising available, it's really the other most famous Lucasfilm franchise. (American Grafitti maybe a distant third; THX-1138, Willow, Labyrinth, Tucker, Land Before Time are at the most cult classics; Howard the Duck, Radioland Murders, Red Tails and Strange Magic are legendary flops)

If anything as a wise-cracking thief with archaeological skills maybe Nathan Drake from the Uncharted video game series is a closer match, apart from the LGBT thing (although Naughty Dog has implied supporting character/spin-off lead Chloe Frazier leans that way) . Indiana Jones's adventuring is sort of more legitimate.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-25-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Outside of staring Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors, there's nothing that could make me consume a Disney Star Wars project.

Even if they did that, they'd probably just ruin it and have Kyle be a "Incel" or something.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Outside of staring Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors, there's nothing that could make me consume a Disney Star Wars project.

Even if they did that, they'd probably just ruin it and have Kyle be a "Incel" or something.
    What's that even based upon?

There's been many similar characters, certainly, in Disney's canon, those who eventually realize the Empire is up to no good and defect to the rebels or become freelance mercenaries. Finn's kind of an example. It almost happens way too many times in the new EU, although it also did happen in the old EU as well. Although Kylo of course later becomes a Jedi, whereas the sequel trilogy was Jediless with the exception of previously established characters (Luke, Leia, all the dead Jedi) and Rey.

Jan is a bit similar to Hera (From Rebels) and Jyn Erso in a few ways.

Apart from that, there have been Moldy-crow style ships in the new canon, but that's something pretty easy to adapt. There's also Imperial droids obviously inspired by the darktroopers but which are nowhere near as powerful.

Rebel's Inquisitors are *slightly* similar to Jerec's band in Jedi Knight, and Jerec was an inquisitor in the old canon.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-29-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's been many similar characters, certainly, in Disney's canon, those who eventually realize the Empire is up to no good and defect to the rebels or become freelance mercenaries. Finn's kind of an example. It almost happens way too many times in the new EU, although it also did happen in the old EU as well. Although Kylo of course later becomes a Jedi, whereas the sequel trilogy was Jediless with the exception of previously established characters (Luke, Leia, all the dead Jedi) and Rey.

Jan is a bit similar to Hera (From Rebels) and Jyn Erso in a few ways.

Apart from that, there have been Moldy-crow style ships in the new canon, but that's something pretty easy to adapt. There's also Imperial droids obviously inspired by the darktroopers but which are nowhere near as powerful.

Rebel's Inquisitors are *slightly* similar to Jerec's band in Jedi Knight, and Jerec was an inquisitor in the old canon.
    Just from the Disney canon we've got defectors in Lost Stars, Rebels, and Admiral Doza from Star Wars: Resistance.