• Yes!

32 43.24%
  • I am ok either way.

9 12.16%
  • No! Good riddance

33 44.59%
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Kind of mindboggling to me that Max Lord has become such a big part of modern WW lore. Is it because Rucka's WW is pretty much the modern-day template, or is there something else? I'm kind of worried to think about what Max Lord's role will be in WW 1984.
    I think Rucka is a big part in it, but it's probably also the fact that IC is one of the bigger Events in recent memory where Diana actually had a large-ish role.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    At least Booster rightfully chewed Bruce out for Brother Eye. Johns completely ignored Clark's covering up the League's mind wipes and everyone ignored Bruce creating Brother Eye (which makes him liable for the deaths it caused including some of Wonder Woman's own people). By contrast, writers just could not get enough out of mentioning Diana killed Max and portraying it as a bad thing.
    They really should have ignored the whole era altogether.

It's not bad that they sidestepped it for Superman and Batman, because it was hot garbage and nobody should be beholden to it. What's bad is not sidestepping it for Diana.

Kind of mindboggling to me that Max Lord has become such a big part of modern WW lore. Is it because Rucka's WW is pretty much the modern-day template, or is there something else? I'm kind of worried to think about what Max Lord's role will be in WW 1984.
    According to plot leaks

spoilers:
    He seems to be Max Lord in Name Only and avoids the same fate. Thank God
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't think he's written Clark much outside of that run. The few times that I can think of (which have been all in his WW I think), he did well enough; not bad but not stand-out, and his Diana is definitely better.

But in Sacrifice Clark was under mind control for like, 99% of the story. Rucka wrote the fight really well, didn't have either character hold back, and both had some really brutal moments in the fight. It was a good brawl, and while I think Diana's got more of an edge in the battle than Rucka wrote, it was pretty close to how I imagine it going and Rucka was hampered by the larger requirements of the story anyway.
    Rucka is like the anti-Morrison with when it comes to Superman and Wonder Woman. Amazing with Wonder Woman, underwhelming with Superman.

Unfortunately he’s the villain who has the most widely remembered “win” against Diana thanks to destroying her reputation. Her snapping his neck has become “iconic” sadly. What has Cheetah, Ares, or Circe done to her that’s stuck? Sadly little thanks to all the reboots, but somehow Lord has stuck. It’s not entirely bad though, both Lord and Diana have a connection to the world of espionage, so at least when she’s tangling with him she’s doing stuff besides fighting gods again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They really should have ignored the whole era altogether.

It's not bad that they sidestepped it for Superman and Batman, because it was hot garbage and nobody should be beholden to it. What's bad is not sidestepping it for Diana.

According to plot leaks

spoilers:
    He seems to be Max Lord in Name Only and avoids the same fate. Thank God
    end of spoilers

Rucka is like the anti-Morrison with when it comes to Superman and Wonder Woman. Amazing with Wonder Woman, underwhelming with Superman.
    Very few people have done well on two members of the Trinity let along all three. I still need to read his Adventures of Superman run because I’ve heard both positive and negative reviews. Wanna read it and see for myself.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Unfortunately he’s the villain who has the most widely remembered “win” against Diana thanks to destroying her reputation. Her snapping his neck has become “iconic” sadly. What has Cheetah, Ares, or Circe done to her that’s stuck? Sadly little thanks to all the reboots, but somehow Lord has stuck. It’s not entirely bad though, both Lord and Diana have a connection to the world of espionage, so at least when she’s tangling with him she’s doing stuff besides fighting gods again.
    God, it would suck if he supplanted those three as her arch nemesis, though like you say I can (begrudgingly) see an argument for why he might be able to.

I'm still kind of annoyed Cheetah has to share WW84 with him, though thankfully neither one seems poised to upstage the other. And at least they got a great actor for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Very few people have done well on two members of the Trinity let along all three. I still need to read his Adventures of Superman run because I’ve heard both positive and negative reviews. Wanna read it and see for myself.
    It's weird how rare that is. Morrison can only do 2 out of 3 and he's among the best in the business. Rucka is overall great with Wonder Woman, Superman is underhwhelming, and he's better for Batman's supporting cast than with Batman himself*. If Gaiman did more mainstream superhero hero he could probably nail all three. If we could someday get Hickman and Ewing over from Marvel I'd be eager to see how they'd do, I think they'd at least crush it on Superman.

*His Bruce is consistent with the Batman of the era he was writing in, but that still doesn't make for an enjoyable reading experience. Rucka's Bat-stuff is more beloved for me for the likes o Renee and Batwoman than the man himself