Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I hated how they had to shoehorn older Cable into previous x-character interactions.
    Wolverine, Xavier, Moira, Rogue...

I think until we get Moira's book, I can't really judge if this change is good or bad for her as a character. I definitely find her more interesting this way, since I don't think the X-Man ever used the human ally thing will beyond Stevie Hunter.

I don't have a huge issue with the retcon affecting this history because I think that there is some telepathy/sleeper agent stuff at play. Like she had Xavier put some blocks to her memory purposely or some stuff we've seen has been altered. And that just keeps being interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I think until we get Moira's book, I can't really judge if this change is good or bad for her as a character. I definitely find her more interesting this way, since I don't think the X-Man ever used the human ally thing will beyond Stevie Hunter.

I don't have a huge issue with the retcon affecting this history because I think that there is some telepathy/sleeper agent stuff at play. Like she had Xavier put some blocks to her memory purposely or some stuff we've seen has been altered. And that just keeps being interesting to me.
    Hickman already addressed this. The nature of her powers make her difficult to detect and read bc she is an anomaly. Destiny's ability to see the future got around that. I dont believe Xavier has done anything to mask her

I’ll just add one more thing. Having a character be more relevant now doesn’t automatically mean the character is better now. I’d rather have Moira in the background the way she was then having her be at the forefront In HOX/POX.

There’s talk about Claremont being angry about Hickman’s run but of course he hates anything x men that changed what he did. But I have to believe Moira is the major source of his dislike of it.

How can this be retconned away in the future? That’s my issue. Hickman made it awfully hard to retcon this away in the future.

Why would anyone retcon this away in the future?
    Marvel is not here only to please you.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I’ll just add one more thing. Having a character be more relevant now doesn’t automatically mean the character is better now. I’d rather have Moira in the background the way she was then having her be at the forefront In HOX/POX.

There’s talk about Claremont being angry about Hickman’s run but of course he hates anything x men that changed what he did. But I have to believe Moira is the major source of his dislike of it.

How can this be retconned away in the future? That’s my issue. Hickman made it awfully hard to retcon this away in the future.
    Why would Marvel retcon this away? Not seeing the purpose

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

I feel like until we have a consistently developed Moira it's hard judging the long-term effects of this change as it's still early and a little premature. The early benefits are exposure the biggest issues are the changes to her character history. But given the nature of comics and how often this sort of thing, where a secret history is revealed about a character it's hard to only criticize Hickman. It is the industry I mean we currently have Vulcan, Petra, and Sway active. Characters that were created through a major retcon in established history and the very founding of the very first X-team.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post

The problem is that writers are always turning normal people into powered superheroes. it is becoming really tired trope on comics now.

Claremont rarely likes new stuff, he knew things when he asked a fan in a convention.

I feel like until we have a consistently developed Moira it's hard judging the long-term effects of this change as it's still early and a little premature.
    Nah. I'm judging it now.

It took one of the X-men's biggest human allies, the kind of character that embodies the things the X-men have strives for over the years and then went "Nope. This is just another mutant. Human can't possibly care about mutants." Frankly though, that seems to be the direction the books want these days. You're either human or mutant and can't possibly care about the other side.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

C'mon, if you like the change then just say that but don't say hardly no one cared about her because she has been dead so long then you might as well say that for Jean Grey. And don't say she wasn't ever really a human ally just because you find her more interesting now. She always made the top of the list when it came to the X-Men's human support characters/allies and there would be a thread almost every year about it and how much she has been missed. Even more recently. There are even more obscure characters than this with a fanbase. I was excited for Moira's return. Not so much now.

And I don't understand what the big idea is about people wanting something being retconned, when every one has a list I'm sure. Draco anyone?, Mystique/Xavier anyone? Wolverine being an original X-Man, Romulus anyone? The entire fanbase wants to be pleased. And if people thought Moira was boring and unimportant they won't mind because it pleases them just like Hickmans new status quo. Lets not pretend this is anything outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Moira MacTaggert was already important to the founding of the X-men. What would Charles Xavier have done without her? And also one of the rare human friends the X-men have ever had.
    Now she's a mutant in a mutant comic book. How dull…
    One of hundreds. ZZZZ.

And yes she was already important. She was a part of big stories like the Proteus Saga, the legacy virus and her rocky connection with Magneto. Also, her connection to the creation of the X-Men was already explored in the 90s.

Ultimately, I've never liked big twists and characters having grandiose and convoluted backgrounds. It happened to my favorite character and it sucks. I'm tired of all these retcons from the same people at Marvel who thought the MU was getting too complicated when that's all they have been doing since they started. These aren't bold new directions they are just dull retreads and reimagining of stories that were already told and much better. It's so boring. Retcons were usually used as a last resort not to fix something that was never broke. As much as I dislike them. As it stands when I read past stories I'm going to have to think of this as an AU instead of trying to fix this mess in my head. Because I'm not going to erase them.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 04-24-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    The main aspect of that hurts the character is that she was the human ally. And that is an important role. But she's been dead forever anyways... so there's an easy argument that its irrelevant anyways. This brings her back in a major way at least.
    See, for me Hickman’s decision answers the question I’ve been wondering for like 20 years: how is mora the only human ever got the legacy virus and none other? The only logical response was that she was secretly a mutant.

Also, now we have 100's of mutants resurrected, and some only being cameos (and some wordless cameos). Turning Moira into another mutant when you have so many mutant characters in dire need of some focus seems like a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    See, for me Hickman’s decision answers the question I’ve been wondering for like 20 years: how is mora the only human ever got the legacy virus and none other? The only logical response was that she was secretly a mutant.
    She "possibly" had a dormant mutant gene that didn't activate. It was either Hank or Rory Campbells explanation. I can't remember for sure. I actually find that more interesting and it added more depth and sent the message that yes humans aren't safe from the virus and had nothing to do with god punishing mutants. I sort of saw it as an allegory for the belief that only homosexual get aids.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Also, now we have 100's of mutants resurrected, and some only being cameos (and some wordless cameos). Turning Moira into another mutant when you have so many mutant characters in dire need of some focus seems like a waste.
    there is tons of mutants, many were returned from dead and barely play a role. Turn moira into another mutants took something unique from her.
    And she will have a solo book

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    C'mon, if you like the change then just say that but don't say hardly no one cared about her because she has been dead so long then you might as well say that for Jean Grey. And don't say she wasn't ever really a human ally just because you find her more interesting now. She always made the top of the list when it came to the X-Men's human support characters/allies and there would be a thread almost every year about it and how much she has been missed. Even more recently. There are even more obscure characters than this with a fanbase. I was excited for Moira's return. Not so much now.

And I don't understand what the big idea is about people wanting something being retconned, when every one has a list I'm sure. Draco anyone?, Mystique/Xavier anyone? Wolverine being an original X-Man, Romulus anyone? The entire fanbase wants to be pleased. And if people thought Moira was boring and unimportant they won't mind because it pleases them just like Hickmans new status quo. Lets not pretend this is anything outrageous.
    of cours epeople that didn't liked Moira before now thinks she is fa rmore interesting
    Last edited by spirit2011; 04-24-2020 at 07:38 PM.