Default Winter Soldier - The Bitter March #5 - Questions

Preview.
    WSTBM2014005-DC11-LR-e418e.jpg

Can somebody summarize the pros and cons of this mini? It ended July 9 but I can't find a thread about the conclusion. I dropped the issue for various reasons after the premiere. Retconning the retcon canon of Winter Soldier (just to cash in on movie hype). Oring of Iron Nail who is one of the more boring Cap foes despite the monumental evil he has succeeded at (making Cap an old man). The crazy fact that Latveria has a HYDRA cell (Doom on a coffee break?). Another topical problem with the mini is reading any past Nick Fury secret agent missteps given his Original Sin revealed omnipotent agent resources and retcon. Plus there's the scary 616 precident that might be set with THE ALCHEMY FORMULA - it can make Radioactive Uranium?? Adamantium?? Vibranium?? Wouldn't Diablo even say that is a bit far fetched? Hopefully, it turns out the end product is always flawed.
    WS-TBM1a.jpg
    WS-TBM1b.jpg
    But I have followed this mini vicarously as best I can with cbr forums. There wasn't much said after #4 http://community.comicbookresources....h-4-(spoilers) so I probably am not missing much. What happens with The Alchemy Formula? What becomes of Chancellor Cassandra? How does Shen become Iron Nail? And does WS get put back into his coma for another day?

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    What happens with The Alchemy Formula? What becomes of Chancellor Cassandra? How does Shen become Iron Nail? And does WS get put back into his coma for another day?
    spoilers:

Cassandra isn't mentioned again.

As you could probably tell, Shen fell in love with the German scientist. So after Fury shows up to save him from HYDRA at the eleventh hour and promptly downs the helicopter in which the scientist and WS are escaping on without knowing all the facts, he quietly stops believing in everything he stood for with SHIELD. Afterwards he gets sent to China undercover for his next mission... in which its inferred he changed ideologies and somehow became Iron Nail.

With the scientist dead, the formula is lost.

WS does get recovered and re-programed by the Soviets at the end.

About the retcons, I didnt think that WS's origin was changed at all, and Fury could as easily been a LMD. No muss no fuss.

end of spoilers
    Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 08-12-2014 at 02:22 PM.