Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    There also seems to be a fear of maintaining a children's line. I don't mean young adult novels, I mean simple old fashioned comics for kids that Gold Key and Harvey Comics used to release.
    Quote Originally Posted by ComixMaven View Post
    Are they afraid readers won't take their BatGod seriously if they also publish "kiddie books"?
    A lot of today's comic industry was built on the insecurities of many readers that continued buying comics as adults. And liked them.

DC spent over 20 years burying the image that comics are for kids so their readers and creators wouldn't feel insecure.
    To maintain that image, anything that could be seen as juvenile has to be sequestered off away from the main line of books, and the output cannot reach a level where DC is associated with making primarily 'kiddie' comics.

If that threat does come close, just throw out an Identity Crisis or a Bat-Penis to re-correct the public image and call it a day.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I’m a realist about Captain Carrot’s prospects, but I do draw hope from the amazing resurgence of Stargirl and the JSA that shifting corporate priorities could benefit family-friendly portions of the DC catalogue that are now dormant.

I admit that the last fifteen years has negatively colored my opinion of DC, but the recent changes in management does give me some hope that their comics will reach a more balanced selection.

I’m honestly surprised they didn’t have them crossover with Scooby Doo or Looney Tunes comics, unless they did, and it was too obscure for me to know.
    They did cross over with wizard of oz and alice in wonderland.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    A lot of today's comic industry was built on the insecurities of many readers that continued buying comics as adults. And liked them.

DC spent over 20 years burying the image that comics are for kids so their readers and creators wouldn't feel insecure.
    To maintain that image, anything that could be seen as juvenile has to be sequestered off away from the main line of books, and the output cannot reach a level where DC is associated with making primarily 'kiddie' comics.

If that threat does come close, just throw out an Identity Crisis or a Bat-Penis to re-correct the public image and call it a day.
    Lee, I agree here completely. It won't happen, but they could have another logo meant for kids comics. People generally know that superheroes are read by an older crowd these days. I am hopeful that things could change with new management but I'm not counting on it.
    My first DC Comics were Fox and Crow and Jerry Lewis. I became a superhero fan.

Incredible Member

What's weird is that even kids series can be thoroughly entertaining. Young Justice definitely felt like it was main for a younger audience. The whole first part was about the sidekicks and Robin was like 14. It feels kind of like it got hijacked and made into this brutal show to show it wasnt for kids anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    What's weird is that even kids series can be thoroughly entertaining. Young Justice definitely felt like it was main for a younger audience. The whole first part was about the sidekicks and Robin was like 14. It feels kind of like it got hijacked and made into this brutal show to show it wasnt for kids anymore.
    Yes. The assumption is that all adults love brutal things!

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    Yes. The assumption is that all adults love brutal things!
    I loved Bone when I discovered it at the age of 24.
    I also loved the Shanower/Young Wizard of Oz books, which I first read at the age of 40.

I never watched Thunderbirds before (so no nostalgia factor there) and I started watching the show at the start of this year after playing the board game, and love it.

I think DC really needs to re-evaluate its audience.

Disney comics. They are huge worldwide and adults read them as much as kids. Uncle scrooge is more known then batman in some countries and carl barks and don rosa are as known as any movie star!

Smurfs is big as well overseas. As is books like lucky luke and Asterix. Archie still sells reprints of the old comics and adults are the ones buying them.

You don't need all books to be watchmen. You can have more lighthearted books also.

I loved Bone when I discovered it at the age of 24.
    I also loved the Shanower/Young Wizard of Oz books, which I first read at the age of 40.

I never watched Thunderbirds before (so no nostalgia factor there) and I started watching the show at the start of this year after playing the board game, and love it.

I think DC really needs to re-evaluate its audience.
    My favorite current reprint series is the Complete Syndicated Pogo. I also like to re-read my copies of Disney Comics by Gladstone. I don't actually like seeing violence at all. I still love Jack Kirby comics. I also loved the recently cancelled Terrifics (first year or so) and The Shazam series. I think Jerry Ordway's Shazam was probably my favorite Captain Marvel since C. C. Beck. I read comics to relax, not to be grossed out. I also like Shanower's Oz books.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Disney comics. They are huge worldwide and adults read them as much as kids. Uncle scrooge is more known then batman in some countries and carl barks and don rosa are as known as any movie star!

Smurfs is big as well overseas. As is books like lucky luke and Asterix. Archie still sells reprints of the old comics and adults are the ones buying them.

You don't need all books to be watchmen. You can have more lighthearted books also.
    Yes!!! ...to everything you said!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Yes! That was my #1 gripe with YJ S3.

Invincible Member

I think part of the problem is that the Direct Sales market has gotten smaller and smaller as has the audience/demographic that walks into the stores. It's just harder to sell children's entertainment at the LCS. Plus DC and Marvel have gotten more conservative with what they publish. When they do print children's comics, it's more likely to be kid versions of their most popular franchises ( there's exceptions of course, moon Girl etc).

Jim Lee did a 10-minute crash course on the DC Multiverse for new fans on the DC YouTube channel, and at the end he gave Earth-26 of Captain Carrot & the Zoo Crew as an example:

Fodder for hopes and speculations?!