Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Should she go to college for it as an ongoing thing, or just pick it up, or should a flashback retcon be added?

I can see her invisibility powers being used to uncover things without physically uncovering them, and can make for interesting constructs.
    My own preference: go to college

But..of course...it’s comics, so there are other options other than that or a flashback retcon. Some sort of speed learning machine for example, maybe...an alien artefact that Sue gets exposed to on one of their adventures.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Should she go to college for it as an ongoing thing, or just pick it up, or should a flashback retcon be added?

I can see her invisibility powers being used to uncover things without physically uncovering them, and can make for interesting constructs.
    My own preference: go to college

But..of course...it’s comics, so there are other options other than that or a flashback retcon. Some sort of speed learning machine for example, maybe...an alien artefact that Sue gets exposed to on one of their adventures.
    I also vote for the go-to-college route. It'd be nice to see her grow into the role. I'd imagine after years of tripping over Kree Sentries, Attilans, and Olympias, prominent universities would have developed archeological subdisciplines specializing in evolutionary offshoot societies, extra-terrestrial visitors, and the influence of superhuman being on historical cultures.

Well, there could be little tweaky retcons. Maybe she was working towards a degree when she also got involved in the rocket trip.

So one could see becoming an adventurer would derail that.

But during the time she was absent from the team, Franklin's pregnancy and that first year or so after, she could have returned to class. Considering the shifting time-line, she could have quietly done her course work on the internet possibly. Maybe that's one of those things between her and Reed; he never acknowledges how hard it was for to get her degree *and* be Franklin's primary caregiver (another way that We Think Sue is Super, and always able to hold her own with Reed).

Extraordinary Member

I would just prefer to see them say that after all these years of scientific adventuring Sue has picked up a lot of knowledge and can understand things despite the lack of formal training.

That's my bias because I think comic (and other) writers rely too much on credentialism and the idea that characters have to be formally trained scientists to understand what they're doing. Superheroes are mostly amateur crime fighters anyway, I don't see the problem with them being, let's say, vigilante scientists.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I would just prefer to see them say that after all these years of scientific adventuring Sue has picked up a lot of knowledge and can understand things despite the lack of formal training.

That's my bias because I think comic (and other) writers rely too much on credentialism and the idea that characters have to be formally trained scientists to understand what they're doing. Superheroes are mostly amateur crime fighters anyway, I don't see the problem with them being, let's say, vigilante scientists.
    Vigilante scientists. I like that. I'm gonna use that somewhere.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It's time for Susan to start robbing banks and destroying corporations.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I was listening to star talk the other day and they mentioned a new term called Astroarcheologist which would be fun for Susan to be

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    It's time for Susan to start robbing banks and destroying corporations.
    Sue the Anarcheologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Sue the Anarcheologist.
    I hope you've trademarked that name.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Seeing as there are no new comics for a while and quarantine has got me bored, I decided to make this a thread.

To begin, many writers have failed Sue in not giving her a particular field of expertise of wants and desires outside of the family like her male teammates do. It is sadly common with female heroes from the silver age. I believe that should change. As she will almost definitely have a career field in her MCU debut, 616 Sue should have had one decades ago.

The filed that I believe suits her and her dynamic as a part of the Fantastic Four is being an archaeologist. But not just an archaeologist, but a Xeno-archaeologist which is a mostly fictional field as it involves alien cultures. This way it would encompass the more cosmic elements associated with the Fantastic Four and add an interesting spin to the field.
    Sue being an archaeologist fits the adventure aspect of her team and gives her more agency both in and out of it.
    Instead of it always being Reed dictating where the team goes for an adventure, Sue could find something on a dig or want to investigate a particular place. When you add the extra-terrestrial aspect to it, there are tons of interesting avenues to go with it.
    It's also a career that doesn't many Marvel heroes occupying it so she could truly make it her own that people associate with her. Which can't be said for her recent adventure as a spy which has many heroes associated with it. When you ask someone about heroes who are spies; Black Widow, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye, and Mockingbird would all spring to mind way before Sue.

What I enjoy about the possibility is that Marvel already did it. In Fantastic Four: The End, a story that took place in a alt-future, Sue is an archaeologist and is on a cool Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones-like adventure. The prospect is already there and I think Marvel should do it.

For Reed it's often about the science, but for Sue it's often about the people. The above shows how being an archaeologist could show that, with her being interested in the culture and what they could learn from it.
    Polaris from the X-men is an archaeologist. And they never use it in stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Polaris from the X-men is an archaeologist. And they never use it in stories.
    I thought she was a physicist specializing in geophysics.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Tomb Raider - Susan Storm

Quote Originally Posted by destinyascension View Post
    Tomb Raider - Susan Storm
    Yep. That's the goal. Plus with all the alien and magical cultures in the Marvel universe, it adds another interesting element.

Her powers are also great for it. There can be interesting constructs used to help her discover artifacts.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I thought she was a physicist specializing in geophysics.
    Nope, that’s actually Havok, her ex-boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

If anything, it's the opposite. Most superheroes aren't scientists and frequently have no trouble using powers that would need a very in-depth uderstanding of the sciences to be utilized to their fullest potential. Seeing as how the Fantastic Four are a science exploration team, they would actually need to understand what is going on to survive and solve problems.