Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Even the covers back then were just eye catching, from the over the top word balloons to the dramatic typesetting it made you want to pick up the book giving the reader their moneys worth in 17-22 pages.

Spectacular Member

So very true...

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Even the covers back then were just eye catching, from the over the top word balloons to the dramatic typesetting it made you want to pick up the book giving the reader their moneys worth in 17-22 pages.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

My favorite villain of this era was the Spook. Created by Frank Robbins and Irv Novick. Detective Comics #434

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Detective_Comics_Vol_1_434

SpookWho.jpg

From this time period, my favorite Bat-cameo will always be...

Legion of Super-Heroes #280
    (October, 1981)

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-09-2020 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Spectacular Member

Love the art posted herein

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Favorites from early Bronze Age that I read at the time are the Joker stories and werewolf stories illustrated by Neal Adams. I also liked any Catwoman story from the early 70s when she was still a villain (though I did also appreciate the later BA stories when she became more heroic).

I liked the latter BA stories with Don Newton as artist-- particularly the Detective Comics anniversary where Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Catwoman and Talia take on virtually ever Bat villain that existed at the time.

Any cover by Nick Cardy featuring Batman was always an instant classic.
    I think Don Newton was a great artist. Loved his Shazam. But his Batman never worked for me for some reason.

Speaking of Don Newton, does anyone know if the Tales of the Batman: Don Newton collection underwent the same horrific recolouring as the Neal Adams one or does it retain the original colours?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Speaking of Don Newton, does anyone know if the Tales of the Batman: Don Newton collection underwent the same horrific recolouring as the Neal Adams one or does it retain the original colours?
    If you're buying the 'Tales Of The Demon' trade from 2005 which was released to coincide with the release of Batman Begins then the answer is yes, the re-colored stories with Don Newton aren't as garish as the Neal Adams' stuff but I think of it as another "Bluray" type of remastering, it's just nice to compare if you have the original issues.

On the brighter side of you're collecting the various artist/writer centric "Tales of The Batman" hardcovers then all those have their original coloring just brightened up cleaner and looks really good on the smooth paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    If you're buying the 'Tales Of The Demon' trade from 2005 which was released to coincide with the release of Batman Begins then the answer is yes, the re-colored stories with Don Newton aren't as garish as the Neal Adams' stuff but I think of it as another "Bluray" type of remastering, it's just nice to compare if you have the original issues.

On the brighter side of you're collecting the various artist/writer centric "Tales of The Batman" hardcovers then all those have their original coloring just brightened up cleaner and looks really good on the smooth paper.
    Great, thanks. I was going to get my old Batman and Detectives bound into hardcover but maybe I should just buy these collections instead. I’ll have to see how complete they are and what overlaps with what.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    I think Don Newton was a great artist.
    To the utmost, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Loved his Shazam. But his Batman never worked for me for some reason.
    Newton's SHAZAM! was fine, but I always liked his version of Batman.

However, Newton's Selina is stunning...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Someone talking about the Bronze Age with respect to Batman? You know I've got to be there. Bronze Age Batman is pretty much why I love the character. Anyone who thinks BTAS is the gold standard for Batman, well, they like the character's bronze age.

Irv Novick doesn't get nearly enough credit for his pencils during this era. He needs more love, dammit!

I will agree, however, that Newton's Catwoman is quite the stunner.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Someone talking about the Bronze Age with respect to Batman? You know I've got to be there. Bronze Age Batman is pretty much why I love the character. Anyone who thinks BTAS is the gold standard for Batman, well, they like the character's bronze age.

Irv Novick doesn't get nearly enough credit for his pencils during this era. He needs more love, dammit!

I will agree, however, that Newton's Catwoman is quite the stunner.
    I agree that Early Irv is worthy but Later Irv was less good. Maybe it was the Frank McLaughlin inks, but by the early '80s their art was looking dated, even to my pre-teen eyes.

Fantastic Member

Question: How much of the original Nocturna storyline is covered in the Gene Colan collections?

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

All I can remember is that the Nocturna story went on far too long. Glad when Doug finally wrote her out.
    I did like her opening 3-part story in DETECTIVE #530-531 and BATMAN #363.

NocturnaBatman.jpg

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    Question: How much of the original Nocturna storyline is covered in the Gene Colan collections?
    Why, the Gene Colan drawn issues, of course!

My apologies, but I do recall the split illustrations of Gene Colan for Detective, Don Newton / Tom Mandrake for Batman.

Gene Colan, rough, greatest at drawing grotesqueries and horrors, such as shown in his drawn Poison Ivy stories at the time, while Don Newton was the smoother, more streamlined, more superheroic, let alone drawing people, style, when it comes to everything else.