Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default Hawkgirl Appreciation 2020

An appreciation thread for the various characters who’ve taken on the mantle of Hawkgirl, the earliest of which was Shiera Sanders Hall, who first appeared in Flash Comics #1 (January, 1940).

1942:

1961:

1978:

1981:

1999:

2002:

2006:

2010:

2018:

Alright so I have a question, what exactly is the difference between Hawkwoman and Hawkgirl? At the current point in time it seems like they might be the same person or at least history and connection to Hawkman but I’m not sure. Maybe it’s just from having read Hawkgirl in Justice League and Hawkwoman in the current Hawkman series.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Still a fan of DCAU Hawkgirl...

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-26-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Alright so I have a question, what exactly is the difference between Hawkwoman and Hawkgirl? At the current point in time it seems like they might be the same person or at least history and connection to Hawkman but I’m not sure. Maybe it’s just from having read Hawkgirl in Justice League and Hawkwoman in the current Hawkman series.
    They're two different reincarnations, that due to the recent situation of time being broken, actually exist at the same time. Shayera is Hawkwoman, and Kendra is Hawkgirl. It's all explained in Justice League. It's a permanent split too. They'll now form two new lineages.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They're two different reincarnations, that due to the recent situation of time being broken, actually exist at the same time. Shayera is Hawkwoman, and Kendra is Hawkgirl. It's all explained in Justice League. It's a permanent split too. They'll now form two new lineages.
    I might have speed read over that part I guess. I mean I can buy it happening, especially with Hawkman’s current reborn over time and space origin, but I’ll be honest it doesn’t help the consistent problem DC has with multiple versions of different characters with the same name (well sort of same here but it’s a semantics difference).

Although I like both series so it’s not much of a problem for me.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It's confusing to me to have both around at the same time, but I also have to admit I like how that leaves Kendra to be a somewhat more independent character and also allows the classic loves story version to happen with Shiera.
    What they maybe could do is say one of them actually isn't a reincarnation of the same person and is actually just a legacy of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Still a fan of DCAU Hawkgirl...
    Definitely a memorable version of the character.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

While I realize this is specifically a Hawkgirl thread, I'm going to go ahead and assume Hawkwoman is caught in that generalization as well. From Shiera Hall to Kendra Saunders and all of them in between, I flippin' love Hawkgirl. She's got such a rad design and is always a pleasure to read.

Glad we have them both appearing in a couple books, though I wish Kendra had more being done with her. The relationship between her and J'onn has been agonizingly boring and as a result Shane has become an eyesore. I've fallen a bit behind, but has that improved from the Snyder run or is it still that same mess?

Both J'onn and Kendra haven't appeared since Snyder stopped writing the book.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Both J'onn and Kendra haven't appeared since Snyder stopped writing the book.
    That's a shame. They're great when not under his pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    While I realize this is specifically a Hawkgirl thread, I'm going to go ahead and assume Hawkwoman is caught in that generalization as well. From Shiera Hall to Kendra Saunders and all of them in between, I flippin' love Hawkgirl. She's got such a rad design and is always a pleasure to read.

Glad we have them both appearing in a couple books, though I wish Kendra had more being done with her. The relationship between her and J'onn has been agonizingly boring and as a result Shane has become an eyesore. I've fallen a bit behind, but has that improved from the Snyder run or is it still that same mess?
    Yeah, I’m not against it either. lol

The Shiera Sanders Hawkgirl fighting in Flash Comics #38 (February, 1943). Art by Sheldon Moldoff.

So rumor has it Eiza Gonzalez is the front runner for the role of Hawkgirl in the DCEU (Black Adam)! That’d be so awesome and hopeful it comes true