Default "Silver & Black" on Disney+?

Former Silver/Black director Gina Prince-Bythewood spoke in an interview recently that there was talk of putting S/B on Disney+ as a limited series. This is fascinating, because it would be a Spider-Man non-animated property on the service, where it would be, presumably, jointly owned by Marvel and Sony.

This raises a few questions about the nature of Sony's relationship with Marvel/Disney, and whether Spider-Man movies can be on the service. Maybe Gina misspoke, but she specifically mentioned Disney+. That's not a coincidence to me.

What do you all think?

Where is this interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Where is this interview?
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-sally-1291248

I have my severe doubts that this would actually happen. I don't really see Disney+ pushing a Sony property and I don't think Silver/Black is worth it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have my severe doubts that this would actually happen. I don't really see Disney+ pushing a Sony property and I don't think Silver/Black is worth it anyways.
    Ouch to Ms. Bythewood and her vision.

Well, in either case, it sounds like the thought is out there regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Ouch to Ms. Bythewood and her vision.

Well, in either case, it sounds like the thought is out there regardless.
    I wonder if they'd change things from the leaked script.

BANNED

This is a statement issued by "former director" to the Press, so you have to factor that this could be the kind of agent-mandated 'buzz' or pot-stirring rumors that publicists recommend clients to give out. This isn't coming from anyone at the top of Sony and Disney.

Could it happen? Only with some modifications of the Sony-Disney deal. Unlikely but not implausible.

Will it happen any time soon? No. Given the Pandemic, and given the current priorities of Sony (Venom 2, Morbius, ITSV-2, Homecoming 3) and Disney (Black Widow, Eternals, New Mutants, Disney Plus shows on furlough, Homecoming 3, Eternals, Shang-Chi), it is in any instance something that is very back of the line.

Furthermore, remember that Silver/Black was promoted initially as a movie project, and now the director wants to convert it into a Disney/Plus series. So that means script rewrities and change in logistics/production, so delays in pre-production.

There's also the Catwoman factor. A major problem with Felicia Hardy making the jump to the big screen has been that she is very similar to Selina Kyle/Catwoman. So any time there's the possibility of Catwoman coming back to the big screen, people become reticent about using her. This happened to Raimi's prospective fourth Spider-Man movie which at one point was going to feature a version of Felicia until they heard reports of her being featured in the third Batman film, and so they converted her into the Vulture and so on. Given the flourishing of the superhero genre and the success of various versions of similar archetypes (Iron Man is similar to Bruce Wayne/Batman but that hasn't stopped him from getting over) I think this is less of an issue than before. But Zoe Kravitz (who voiced MJ in ITSV, ironically) is playing Catwoman in Matt Reeves' new movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    This is a statement issued by "former director" to the Press, so you have to factor that this could be the kind of agent-mandated 'buzz' or pot-stirring rumors that publicists recommend clients to give out. This isn't coming from anyone at the top of Sony and Disney.

Could it happen? Only with some modifications of the Sony-Disney deal. Unlikely but not implausible.

Will it happen any time soon? No. Given the Pandemic, and given the current priorities of Sony (Venom 2, Morbius, ITSV-2, Homecoming 3) and Disney (Black Widow, Eternals, New Mutants, Disney Plus shows on furlough, Homecoming 3, Eternals, Shang-Chi), it is in any instance something that is very back of the line.

Furthermore, remember that Silver/Black was promoted initially as a movie project, and now the director wants to convert it into a Disney/Plus series. So that means script rewrities and change in logistics/production, so delays in pre-production.

There's also the Catwoman factor. A major problem with Felicia Hardy making the jump to the big screen has been that she is very similar to Selina Kyle/Catwoman. So any time there's the possibility of Catwoman coming back to the big screen, people become reticent about using her. This happened to Raimi's prospective fourth Spider-Man movie which at one point was going to feature a version of Felicia until they heard reports of her being featured in the third Batman film, and so they converted her into the Vulture and so on. Given the flourishing of the superhero genre and the success of various versions of similar archetypes (Iron Man is similar to Bruce Wayne/Batman but that hasn't stopped him from getting over) I think this is less of an issue than before. But Zoe Kravitz (who voiced MJ in ITSV, ironically) is playing Catwoman in Matt Reeves' new movie.
    I kind of agree with the reasoning about Black Cat, but I think that's why they combined her with Silver Sable. They wanted to circumvent the similar narrative to Catwoman

With how some of the recent decisions between the two studios have appeared to be, with Doctor Strange 2 getting pushed back to 2022, letting Spider-Man 3 get the late 2021 release, and in turn DS2 getting Into The Spider-Verse 2's original release date, also along with Morbius appearing to be much more "in canon" to the MCU, I wouldn't be surprised to see them working together more closely on more projects.

Whether that is Silver & Black, I'm not completely sure exactly, but of all the other Spidey projects they've put in development, I can see why that would be the most appealing for them to produce as a mini-series.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I kind of agree with the reasoning about Black Cat, but I think that's why they combined her with Silver Sable. They wanted to circumvent the similar narrative to Catwoman
    From what I've gotten of the script their version of Felicia is pretty in-name-only beyond the Walter Hardy dynamic.

make it happen. very nice.

From what I've gotten of the script their version of Felicia is pretty in-name-only beyond the Walter Hardy dynamic.
    All depends on execution. We could get another "Halle Berry Catwoman" in-name-only or get a "Joaquin Phoenix Joker" In-Name-Only.

Either way though, I'm having a hardtime getting excited about seeing a Silver Sable team-up movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    All depends on execution. We could get another "Halle Berry Catwoman" in-name-only or get a "Joaquin Phoenix Joker" In-Name-Only.

Either way though, I'm having a hardtime getting excited about seeing a Silver Sable team-up movie.
    Knowing Sony, I'd lean more towards the former.

Knowing Sony, I'd lean more towards the former.
    Sony's track record isn't flawless (no company's is) but when it comes to Spider-Man characters they have far more hits than misses.