Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Timeskip like in the YJ ANIME...

Hello,

did someone else thought that exactly NOW a timeskip would be AWESOME?

Now have for most families at least 2 young heroes who would carry on the family legacy.
    I have to say that if done right it could be a million times more interesting than everything what happens now...

-I we have already got a preview what could happen between TIM and DAMIAN

-I dont like the idea of Tims Generation becoming evil, BUT the Idea of CASSIE training with ARES was interesting and has potential..I liked how they displayed Cassie after Conners death and everybody left her, so she became angry and violent

-WALLACE, IRIS WEST II and BART ALLEN would also be interesting how they differ if becoming older

CONNER and JONATHAN would be interesting as Supermans successors, but both taking another direction (Conner still a hero, but being harder against villains etc.) It could be interesting Conner in the black Superman Costume with Cassie, who is a demigoddess....while Jonathan like his father has a HUMAN girlfriend...
    So I like the Idea that Lex (as hero) builds up a second JL with Cassie,Conner,Bart, Tim, Raven....while Damian,Jon etc. take the role as "original" JL.

So Conner and Jon are both heroes, but Conner (still with good heart etc.) trains, becomes more obsessed with becoming more powerful etc. thanks also to the influence of his "father" Lex who has this approach...while Jonathan is more diplomatic etc.
    Ares as Cassies mentor would also perfectly fit into this...as both have this power approach....

This actually has a lot of potential

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

No. Absolutely NOT.

I have never read one of these that ended well or wasn't immediately rebooted. It's always a clown fiesta.

Leave all that for alternate earths or elseworlds books.

Astonishing Member

I'm not a fan of timeskips in comics. Honestly, I didn't think the YJ cartoon did a good job with the two timeskips it had.

Astonishing Member

This would have little impact on the adult characters and it would wipe away the teenage characters' purpose for existing, increasing the glut of directionless former teen hero characters.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I'm not a fan of timeskips in comics. Honestly, I didn't think the YJ cartoon did a good job with the two timeskips it had.
    Actually I think YJ Anime did a PERFECT Job with the timeskips, it was FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DC with a realistic time and so Characters like Conner, Dick, Aqualad etc. dont have to remain teenagers forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    No. Absolutely NOT.

I have never read one of these that ended well or wasn't immediately rebooted. It's always a clown fiesta.

Leave all that for alternate earths or elseworlds books.
    Actually I think its because of dont having timeskip etc. its the reason for readers to read Mangas instead of Superhero Comics...

We had so long Bruce as Batman, Diana as Wonder Woman, Clark as Superman etc. that there is simply not much more which makes me interested in it.
    That I dont understand the current timeline makes it even worse...

Letting the younger heroes grow up would be nice fresh interesting impulse for DC.

I didnt like ToT being villains, BUT Conner with Lex as his father and Cassie being mentored by Ares were 2 very interesting points which I would like to see develop.
    Especially now with Jonathan Samuel Kent and also the Tim vs Damian Batman Idea was interesting.

I have always advocated for a DC timeskip, in concept. the only reason I wouldn't want to see it is because DC would absolutely **** the bed (superficial changes, suddenly disappearing
    characters, etc.) and/or most comic fans would complain so hard that the universe would implode from the sheer density of the whining.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I didn't care for the time skip in season 2 since it just seemed to be used an excuse to have character development and other story lines happen off-screen rather than actually try to write them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    This would have little impact on the adult characters and it would wipe away the teenage characters' purpose for existing, increasing the glut of directionless former teen hero characters.
    What are you talking about?
    It makes no sense for me....My idea gives them actually a lot more direction than its actually the case...

1.) Nightwing, Arsenal, Donna Troy......still have a purpose of existing or?
    For Conner for example it would actually be the best which could happen to him to give him a direction and let him outgrow the Superboy role.
    YJ Cartoon already increased with the timeskip the role of the young characters, since Superman for example left and gave Conner the role....
    Aqualad became member of the League...

2.) and actually if you have read what I wrote than you know that I was more talking about probably a future where Bruce, Diana, Clark, Wally and Barry died...
    So Clark and Jonathan are the new Superman
    Dick was Batman, but then left and Tim and Damian are fighting against each other in Gotham
    Iris West II, Bart Allen and Wallace West have taken over the mantle of the Flash
    Cassandra Sandsmark as new Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I didn't care for the time skip in season 2 since it just seemed to be used an excuse to have character development and other story lines happen off-screen rather than actually try to write them.
    I agree 100%.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I have always advocated for a DC timeskip, in concept. the only reason I wouldn't want to see it is because DC would absolutely **** the bed (superficial changes, suddenly disappearing
    characters, etc.) and/or most comic fans would complain so hard that the universe would implode from the sheer density of the whining.
    Actually my problem would rather be that I would be scared that one sucessor dominates the other one.

For example in Supermans Case I would like to see Conner and Jon taking over the role, but going in different directions:

-Jon as the friendly, peaceful Superman who is like his father, has a human wife etc. and is influenced by Clark and Lois
    -Conner as hero, but he has a more kind of Batman approach to the Superman role (also influenced by Lex), so he sees power, survival of the fittest, dominance as the approach to fight villains...with also having a powerful girlfriend (Cassie) who is the ideal girlfriend for him, because she is also powerful etc.
    Conner also using a yellow lantern ring...

-Cassandra with Ares as mentors (in ToT) would also fit perfectly into that....

The family consisting of Conner,Cassie,Lex and Ares would certainly have lots of potential.

And other (rumored) replacements makes no sense for me: Captain Boomerang as new Flash....I mean there are Iris West II, Wallace West and Bart Allen who are at the same age...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I think this has been probably one of the negative consequences of the show's time-skips.

I guess it lets them show more forward progression and get to certain major characters/points of development, but there are drawbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I agree 100%.
    Same here.
    I felt kinda cheated because I had become invested in the characters of Season 1.

The only time I've seen a timeskip jump well was during One Year Later, which was pretty much what the OP is asking for, but only for one year.
    The good part was the mystery of what happened, the bad part was once it was revealed it didn't matter any more.
    It was a temporary thing and the comics were basically back to where they were before the timeskip by the next year.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I think this has been probably one of the negative consequences of the show's time-skips.

I guess it lets them show more forward progression and get to certain major characters/points of development, but there are drawbacks.
    Yes, it felt like half the second season I was playing catch up with a season that didn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    What are you talking about?
    It makes no sense for me....My idea gives them actually a lot more direction than its actually the case...

1.) Nightwing, Arsenal, Donna Troy......still have a purpose of existing or?
    For Conner for example it would actually be the best which could happen to him to give him a direction and let him outgrow the Superboy role.
    YJ Cartoon already increased with the timeskip the role of the young characters, since Superman for example left and gave Conner the role....
    Aqualad became member of the League...

2.) and actually if you have read what I wrote than you know that I was more talking about probably a future where Bruce, Diana, Clark, Wally and Barry died...
    So Clark and Jonathan are the new Superman
    Dick was Batman, but then left and Tim and Damian are fighting against each other in Gotham
    Iris West II, Bart Allen and Wallace West have taken over the mantle of the Flash
    Cassandra Sandsmark as new Wonder Woman
    This is just a personal preference but I don't think Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman should be legacy titles.

Time skips are primarily used as a get out of jail free card for bad storylines or continuity issues. The better solution would be to just not write bad and problematic stories?
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I personally like timeskips. I will fight anyone who says the 5 year time jump in the 90's Legion of Superheroes title was not amazing. It is the perfect way to reset the board if done right.