Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    True enough. A teenaged black belt would be closer to reality and, even then, it's usually not considered on the same level as an adult black belt and has to be set aside at 18 and they have to pass an adult black belt test.

As you also said though, the difference here is far beyond any ordinary difference of 20-50 lbs, or one guy being a bit stronger. This is the difference between a grown man and a ten year old.
    It's potentially a bigger difference than that. I'm 6'2", 190 lbs. My 11 year old son is 5'4" and weighs about 110. That's less of a difference than Conner to Thor. And my son has strictly no chance against me in a fight, even if I'm trying not to hurt him. If we wrestle or box or go mixed, he can go all out, and I have to restrain 95% to not hospitalize him. Obviously, my son is not Conner in skill, and I'm much more skilled than Thor, but the physical difference tells basically all here.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Dude, Thor is BIG. Like.... really REALLY big.

Perhaps Conor is just a wee too small to overcome.

Let's move up several weight classes and use a Prime Anderson Silva.

Dudes fighting weight was 204lbs and is 6'2. So even he is STILL waaay smaller, giving up 7 inches in height and over 200lbs in weight. But at least he isn't a midget.

My personal opinion is that Silva leaves Thor unconscious on the floor 10/10 but my circle of friends all think I'm crazy which is why I'm double checking here lol.
    Silva might be high enough up there to manage a majority, maybe even a large majority, be even Silva simply can't do a damn thing if Thor can get a grip on him. I don't know how unskilled Thor is. But if you gave him a few months of basic training, I think Silva would struggle to win any.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm one of the guys who has pointed out that much, much smaller people can win fights against big ones. Keith Hackney is a perfect example.

But the odds don't favor it when the big guy has at least some training, is in good shape, and is truly massive compared to the other guy. It's a man-versus-bear situation; the reason it makes the front page when the man beats a bear in a fight is because it's so bloody rare, whereas most of the time the bear gets lunch and it's buried on page 5.

Here, Halpthor is in reasonable shape, has a little training, and is, again, truly massive by comparison to the little guy. Is it impossible for Connor to win? No. Edit: Do I feel he stands a better chance than Bruce does against Andre? Absolutely. Do I feel he stands a good chance? No.

Mileage may vary.
    But what if Connor uses his superior training to punch in Hapthor's nosebone?

I regret nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    But what if Connor uses his superior training to punch in Hapthor's nosebone? I regret nothing
    *Powerboy dives for cover and hides- but only after planting a listening device to overhear this conversation.*
    Power with Girl is better.

Oh! Oh! What if he fights dirty, and uses his dirty fighting to go for Hapthor's nosebone?

This thread needs a trigger warning!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Oh! Oh! What if he fights dirty, and uses his dirty fighting to go for Hapthor's nosebone?
    What if McGregor also has "street skillz"?
    Power with Girl is better.

Well that combination just seems unstoppable.

Conor doesn't have the proper skill set, hitting power, or reach to insure victory. So, while it's possible he could win with some wild flash KO, it isn't defintive. Connor's chances decrease dramatically, if Bjorn has any combat or street fighting experience.

* I get the sense that the Mountain is quick for his size. The dude looks stiff, but he's faster than his 400 frame would have one presume. *

Switch Conor with almost any Top 10 Heavyweight in boxing or the UFC and they take 10/10 against some unskilled Giant.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

But what if Connor uses his superior training to punch in Hapthor's nosebone?

I regret nothing

...you're bored, aren't you? You're bored, and deciding to find amusement by tormenting me.

*covers face*
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Well that combination just seems unstoppable.
    ...and now it's a tag-team. -_-
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...and now it's a tag-team. -_-
    I really feel bad about what I just put in the Lee thread then. :-)
    Last edited by big_adventure; 05-04-2020 at 12:09 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Silva might be high enough up there to manage a majority, maybe even a large majority, be even Silva simply can't do a damn thing if Thor can get a grip on him. I don't know how unskilled Thor is. But if you gave him a few months of basic training, I think Silva would struggle to win any.
    As it stands, he is /very/ basic with his boxing. As in, he sorta straight arms opponents with one arm while loading up sloppy haymakers with the other.

I figure Silva slips past that nonsense fairly effortlessly, and unlike McGregor, can KO with every one of his limbs and at a much safer distance.

Thors arms are still much longer then Silva's but it's hardly insurmountable given the Spider's overwhelming edge.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    As it stands, he is /very/ basic with his boxing. As in, he sorta straight arms opponents with one arm while loading up sloppy haymakers with the other.

I figure Silva slips past that nonsense fairly effortlessly, and unlike McGregor, can KO with every one of his limbs and at a much safer distance.

Thors arms are still much longer then Silva's but it's hardly insurmountable given the Spider's overwhelming edge.
    I agree that the Silva is a much better match. I agree that he's going to win most, probably. I just think that, at some point in some of these fights, Thor would get a grip on the guy, and that, as they say, could be that.

Yeah, there comes a point where overwhelming size and strength just smothers skill altogether. Bjorn takes this.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.