Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Eh, Marvel doesn't need a Superman, there's Thor and the Silver Surfer, as well as the aforementioned knock offs (none of which I'm overly fond of). Current Thor should be several levels beyond Superman and Surfer has always been beyond (post crisis) Superman.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Happens with Superman-style characters all the time. Keep upping his feats and occasionally unlocking a new power, except eventually, the constant power scaling gets reset, especially in Superman's case. I don't think Sentry's ever had a real reset yet.

Hell, last time I saw Sentry, he was dead, and had been resurrected as a Horseman to kick the crap out of Thor, and his "power up" then was that he didn't have Void messing with his head, so he could fight at peak efficiency or something. I guess somehow he got brought back to life again.

Sentry just worked as a one-shot character, really. His original mini was fine as it was. Admittedly, his "return" mini-series I thought was a good set-up for continuing generic adventures, but they immediately borked him. He should have just been phased out entirely. If we want "super strong space man does space adventure stuff", we've already got, like, Gladiator and Hyperion and suchlike.
    Sentry didn't die again but eventually wore off the Horseman transformation off-panel after disposing of Exitar's planetary sized corpse in outer space, which is when Doctor Strange intervened to help him after he reversed to his Dark Avengers suicidal yet unkillable incarnation again.

But it makes sense Sentry wouldn't be reset downwards.

Sentry was always a different Supercape person case for being said to be able to do anything since issue 1 and then being forced to act the opposite due to personal mental issues but also being forced to appear for years on end in regular continuity Avengers comics in Earth still showing at times how dangerous he actually was.

So once he is not only still appearing but not bound by crippling couch potato mental issues for almost a whole story (like he was in World War Hulk) or comparatively mundane circumstances or characters (like he wasn't in his third mini series or Annihilation Scourge featuring cosmic characters) is when it makes sense the reset button actually inches upward for him.
    Last edited by Wildling; 04-28-2020 at 08:07 PM.

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Man, now I'm just thinking of how I'd approach writing Sentry.

Hero with a villainous dark power inside of them is so common in manga and stuff. Like, there's so many examples of how to make this work.

I mean, Miracleman literally did this story with Kid Miracleman.
    I'd give him the role that George RR Martin apparently had in mind for Dr Strange - the guy who basically protects earth from all the big stuff that's actually way above the pay grade of the Avengers etc. Have him be an actual Sentry, keeping galactic monstrosities at bay while it goes unnoticed by earth at large. The guy whose job it is to stare into the - ahem - Void, and see what stares back, before kicking its teeth in. Then get cosmic and trippy and how much of what he's fighting is in his head because he's been in space, staring at nebulae too long?

Damn, Nik, you got me pondering.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    I'd give him the role that George RR Martin apparently had in mind for Dr Strange - the guy who basically protects earth from all the big stuff that's actually way above the pay grade of the Avengers etc. Have him be an actual Sentry, keeping galactic monstrosities at bay while it goes unnoticed by earth at large. The guy whose job it is to stare into the - ahem - Void, and see what stares back, before kicking its teeth in. Then get cosmic and trippy and how much of what he's fighting is in his head because he's been in space, staring at nebulae too long?

Damn, Nik, you got me pondering.
    I mean, I'd read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Man, now I'm just thinking of how I'd approach writing Sentry.

Hero with a villainous dark power inside of them is so common in manga and stuff. Like, there's so many examples of how to make this work.

I mean, Miracleman literally did this story with Kid Miracleman.
    Dont know how I missed this, but I'd be on board for something like this. Cosmic Clint Eastwood.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.