Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Great news, Venditti got approved to do 5 more Superman issues and this first comes out next week! https://www.instagram.com/p/CCdtfazh...d=fbyk57qzcxh9

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Great news, Venditti got approved to do 5 more Superman issues and this first comes out next week! https://www.instagram.com/p/CCdtfazh...d=fbyk57qzcxh9
    I guess this means the Digital First series have been a success .

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Interesting, let’s see what he does.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Today's issue was really delightful! Venditti's characterization of Superman, particularly his ego, reminds me of what King did in Up in the Sky. And his Lois/Clark repeated beats remain truly delightful. I really hope we get a collected edition of these.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I really hope we get a collected edition of these.
    Agreed! Would love to have a physical copy with all this beautiful art inside. I do think there's a very good chance that it'll happen as DC has collected the majority of their digital titles into TPBs.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really enjoyed the latest issue with Venditti's return. The art is very reminiscent of the late great Ringo. It's a fun story.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I picked up this issue.i wanted to give it a second chance. But, the book still tries to sell the bullshit "i hold back and let others win". That's not competition. That's not honorable. That's disrespect. That's condescending . I didn't like that part in up in the sky story as well. Thankfully, that wasn't the focus and batman rarely "competes" in the true sense. This book generally play into everything i've come to not like about the character. If this was supes warming up to go into full gear. Then i can understand. But, this is'nt being the better man. This is cowardess being picturised as nobility.If i challenge a person. I would want him to try to win against me,genuinely. Even if i lose, i wouldn't care. But, what clark did was the epitome of not "egolessness",but pure postering of "superiority" without anything to back him up. Egolessness occurs when you give everything to something a fight, a dance, a song... Etc and lose yourself completely to that. When the craft itself becomes more important . It's wu-wei.

"I do not hit. It hits all by itself"

Now more than ever, i want goku to kick his ass to krypton and back to earth. So that he learns the meaning of what passion, drive and honor. If you aren't willing to actually fight. Don't accept a challenge. Complacency is nothing to be liked.There is nothing inspirational about this stuff for me.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-13-2020 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I picked up this issue.i wanted to give it a second chance. But, the book still tries to sell the bullshit "i hold back and let others win". That's not competition. That's not honorable. That's disrespect. That's condescending . I didn't like that part in up in the sky story as well. Thankfully, that wasn't the focus and batman rarely "competes" in the true sense. This book generally play into everything i've come to not like about the character. If this was supes warming up to go into full gear. Then i can understand. But, this is'nt being the better man. This is cowardess being picturised as nobility.If i challenge a person. I would want him to try to win against me,genuinely. Even if i lose, i wouldn't care. But, what clark did was the epitome of not "egolessness",but pure postering of "superiority" without anything to back him up. Egolessness occurs when you give everything to something a fight, a dance, a song... Etc and lose yourself completely to that. When the craft itself becomes more important . It's wu-wei.

Now more than ever, i want goku to kick his ass to krypton and back to earth. So that he learns the meaning of what passion, drive and honor. If you aren't willing to actually fight. Don't accept a challenge. Complacency is nothing to be liked.There is nothing inspirational about this stuff for me.
    Forgive me if you've gone over this with someone else here, but why are you reading so many Superman stories if you don't like the overwhelming majority of them? Do you have that much disposable income?

Might I suggest that this character might not be for you. Perhaps it might be a good idea to find a superhero you enjoy more. Just an idea. Not trying to offend you or anything, but you are very active here, yet don't seem to like anything. You could easily redirect that passion, which you clearly have, to somewhere else. Why focus so much on what you don't like?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Forgive me if you've gone over this with someone else here, but why are you reading so many Superman stories if you don't like the overwhelming majority of them? Do you have that much disposable income?

Might I suggest that this character might not be for you. Perhaps it might be a good idea to find a superhero you enjoy more. Just an idea. Not trying to offend you or anything, but you are very active here, yet don't seem to like anything. You could easily redirect that passion, which you clearly have, to somewhere else. Why focus so much on what you don't like?
    Huh! That's difficult to answer really. I am sort of stuck in a sense. Someone mentioned up in the sky, which i absolutely adore. I can be stubborn, i like to see things through that i started. I just don't like certain aspects that's currently sold as superman "greatness".That's it. I suppose, I like the idea of superman than what's given to me on paper. If that makes sense. I believe, i like the original idea far more of a working class man's battle for truth and justice . A guy with strength fighting for the little guy because it makes sense and not in a condescending manner.i suppose i can be harsh at times.I don't particularly like spreading negativity. I guess i am doing that in a way.

Yeah! The character might not be for me. I have come to realise that just a few months ago. I am just more into jon anyways now. But, still i think needed to voice my opinion on this particular instance. A competition is a contract between two or more people. You agree to something. There should be a level of honesty and transparency in it. This is what honor is and what respect is. Clark doesn't kill.yet,he agreed to fight the dude. That's cheating. He didn't actually fight. Second instance of cheating. Books don't treat is a difference of value. It treats it as superman's greatness and writer genuinely believes it is. I have read superman fighting lex in multiple contests of fist fights,with clark being damn badass. First round in Superman 164 is such an instance. There is also that fight between superman and lex with powerstone where that battle is unfair and clark uses his wits. Heck! That boxing match and race in up in the sky is damn inspirational(up in the sky itself was damn good for me). Superman vs mohammad ali was also decent. If i am spreading negativity. I don't intend it. This will be my last post.

Huh! That's difficult to answer really. I am sort of stuck in a sense. Someone mentioned up in the sky, which i absolutely adore. I can be stubborn, i like to see things through that i started. I just don't like certain aspects that's currently sold as superman "greatness".That's it. I suppose, I like the idea of superman than what's given to me on paper. If that makes sense. I believe, i like the original idea far more of a working class man's battle for truth and justice . A guy with strength fighting for the little guy because it makes sense and not in a condescending manner.i suppose i can be harsh at times.I don't particularly like spreading negativity. I guess i am doing that in a way.

Yeah! The character might not be for me. I have come to realise that just a few months ago. I am just more into jon anyways now. But, still i think needed to voice my opinion on this particular instance. A competition is a contract between two or more people. You agree to something. There should be a level of honesty and transparency in it. This is what honor is and what respect is. Clark doesn't kill.yet,he agreed to fight the dude. That's cheating. He didn't actually fight. Second instance of cheating. Books don't treat is a difference of value. It treats it as superman's greatness and writer genuinely believes it is. I have read superman fighting lex in multiple contests of fist fights,with clark being damn badass. First round in Superman 164 is such an instance. There is also that fight between superman and lex with powerstone where that battle is unfair and clark uses his wits. Heck! That boxing match and race in up in the sky is damn inspirational(up in the sky itself was damn good for me). Superman vs mohammad ali was also decent. If i am spreading negativity. I don't intend it. This will be my last post.
    I don't mean to shut you down or anything. If there are still Superman-related comics you are loving, like Up in the Sky, please talk about them, and if you have criticism of a story you were hoping to enjoy, you should do so. That said, I'm not sure what you are gaining by continually reading Superman comics that mostly use interpretations of the character that don't work for you at all. There are lots of other comics out there you might like more.

It doesn't make those Superman comics bad, either. They just aren't what you are looking for, so you should find something else. It's like going to the same pizza shop over and over again when what you really want is a hamburger. There may be a hamburger pizza they make that you really dig, but you shouldn't be devoting this much time focusing on all the other kinds of pizza you don't like.

If that makes any sense to you at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't mean to shut you down or anything. If there are still Superman-related comics you are loving, like Up in the Sky, please talk about them, and if you have criticism of a story you were hoping to enjoy, you should do so. That said, I'm not sure what you are gaining by continually reading Superman comics that mostly use interpretations of the character that don't work for you at all. There are lots of other comics out there you might like more.

It doesn't make those Superman comics bad, either. They just aren't what you are looking for, so you should find something else. It's like going to the same pizza shop over and over again when what you really want is a hamburger. There may be a hamburger pizza they make that you really dig, but you shouldn't be devoting this much time focusing on all the other kinds of pizza you don't like.

If that makes any sense to you at all.
    I don't generally do that.as said, i picked this up because someone said this was like up in the sky. No it wasn't, up in the sky had its nuances. Clark never felt disrespectful for me there, in any competition. He fought everything sincerely and gave it his all. There is plenty that work for me. I liked smashes the klan as well. I hadn't talked or posted in this thread since issue two. I had stopped reading it. This is what i want to see when superman engages in competition.

When it isn't honorable competition. Then Superman doing whatever is understandable.

For me, I think Superman's already shown that he's willing to fight all out and die for others in Death of Superman. I don't need to see that story again. I can see the argument you're making - that he could have won, and that choosing not to do so is cheating - but I disagree. There is more than just the "rules of the game" in a game. There's the desired outcomes. For Superman, the desired outcome is 1) not killing someone, 2) giving everyone the chance to win, if possible. The reason he went all out in Death of Superman is because it really was a binary - if he lost, everyone else lost too. But here - if he won, Earth was saved, but he also had to kill his opponent. If he lost, he loses nothing he personally cares about, but not only saves the Earth, but also gives this fighter happiness after a life of misery.

I don't think I will convince you, but I don't think it's just a case of "Superman cheating."
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

This issue was the best of Venditti's run. Particularly due to the art and colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    This issue was the best of Venditti's run. Particularly due to the art and colors.
    I dunno if I'd say the best - I still really love issues 2 and 4, and I really got to like Pelletier's art and Lucas's rich warm colors. Bellaire's colors are a lot more subtle, but don't quite grab me as strongly for Superman.

Today's issue was a fun mythological/slice of life issue, with one or two pages of the ongoing Metallo plot as well. It was really nice seeing all the character Venditti played with, and even though the art wasn't my favorite of the run, it still worked quite nicely. The colors were really vivid, which I love seeing on a Superman book.