Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    This series is a handbook of what you SHOULDN'T do when you write a Superman story, or a superhero story in general. It contains so many clichès and cringy moments that it seems written for parody purposes.
    Well, obviously it's not to your taste, but I think this series was telling very specific Superman stories and it told them very well .

I never got the sense it was a "parody" any more then all these other Giant books in the same vein are "parodies" (although that Harley and Wonder Woman team-up was too much for me).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, obviously it's not to your taste, but I think this series was telling very specific Superman stories and it told them very well .

I never got the sense it was a "parody" any more then all these other Giant books in the same vein are "parodies" (although that Harley and Wonder Woman team-up was too much for me).
    If it was a parody it wasn't a voluntary one. I have not checked other Giant books. As far as I am concerned, this one was unreadable.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's exactly how I felt after the first one. The second was a little better imo and I can imagine more progress, but not enough for me to jump in right now
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    If it was a parody it wasn't a voluntary one. I have not checked other Giant books. As far as I am concerned, this one was unreadable.
    I don't see what was unreadable about it. It wasn't a complex comic but I would say it was a solidly crafted one-and-done series of stories.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't see what was unreadable about it. It wasn't a complex comic but I would say it was a solidly crafted one-and-done series of stories.
    It plays into alot of the bad idiosyncrasies and dogmas of standard "modern" superman comics.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It plays into alot of the bad idiosyncrasies and dogmas of standard "modern" superman comics.
    I don't see what makes it a bad Superman comic. Even if that were true, to me it didn't come off in a negative way within the comic itself or make Superman look bad.

Felt like a modern day Superman Adventures to me. One and done Superman stories. Nothing to blow you away but entertaining enough, something you could give to a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Felt like a modern day Superman Adventures to me. One and done Superman stories. Nothing to blow you away but entertaining enough, something you could give to a kid.
    Yeah, I'd say a lot of the Giants I've read have felt in the vein of the old DC Adventures books (which I don't see as a bad thing).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think Adventures was generally more unique in storytelling. Not a fair comparison though, with six issues to a title that ran for for over sixty with several tv series to inform and supplement it. I also have to concede that as a comic book guy, I'm ideally outside of the target audience. But from what I've seen it's just the most uninspired components mashed together for very generic Superman, and as a kid finding out that I was getting a watered down version would have just as quickly been the end of it for me.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't see what makes it a bad Superman comic. Even if that were true, to me it didn't come off in a negative way within the comic itself or make Superman look bad.
    I have only read two issues. It is entirely boring. The main characters including lois are naive.Superman doesn't need to look bad to come across bad. Superman talks to parasite like he knows what hunger is, which is wierd. I don't see anything "modern" in this writing. It feels dated to me,like something from the 90's or something.Moreover it's full of, superman = a rolemodel writing. Oh! Yeah!The "fights" were abysmal. So nothing entertaining or to read through at all.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-31-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I have only read two issues. It is entirely boring. The main characters including lois are naive.Superman doesn't need to look bad to come across bad. Superman talks to parasite like he knows what hunger is, which is wierd. I don't see anything "modern" in this writing. It feels dated to me,like something from the 90's or something.Moreover it's full of, superman = a rolemodel writing. Oh! Yeah!The "fights" were abysmal. So nothing entertaining or to read through at all.
    I mean, the dialogue and the story pacing is pretty "modern" to me. I found it a solid Superman adventure mag, but I think our tastes in such thing are quite different .

I mean, the dialogue and the story pacing is pretty "modern" to me. I found it a solid Superman adventure mag, but I think our tastes in such thing are quite different .
    I didn't find anything adventures. I went like this.

There wasn't anything fun.

I want some of this.

I don’t think Silver Age Superdickery would go over well today lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t think Silver Age Superdickery would go over well today lol.
    Why not? jon pulls it of with damian.

Just give the guy a personality. All this "be good" business is too much.

Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-01-2020 at 10:16 AM.

It baffles me that I have to point out the difference between a young child like Jon and a grown man like Clark. We accept that Jon has not fully matured and thus will abuse his powers in ways that an adult would not be tolerated doing. In the USA kids are not tried or treated as full adults and thus Jon pulling pranks is fine. He’s a child so acting childish is no problem.

Clark on the other hand is a grown man in his 30s. Him pulling Superdickery moves on his co-workers to the extent Silver Age Superman did wouldn’t fly because the storytelling is different. The Silver Age comics are aimed at kids. The modern ones are not. Unless you’re willing to portray Clark as an ***hole, that kind of behavior wouldn’t be seen as heroic. It’s fine for Clark to occasionally pull a prank on a blowhard like Steve Lombard or Lex, but tormenting Lois and Jimmy to teach them life lessons wouldn’t really be seen in the same light nowadays.