Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Neat issue about Superman subbing in for Atlas while his friends guard Metropolis for him. I’m wondering where exactly Venditti is planning to go with this Metallo plot though. Hopefully something deeper than the typical Metallo jobbing.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Neat issue about Superman subbing in for Atlas while his friends guard Metropolis for him. I’m wondering where exactly Venditti is planning to go with this Metallo plot though. Hopefully something deeper than the typical Metallo jobbing.
    I am curious about Metallo. The "Metallo is backup for Superman going evil" plot point this issue makes me wonder if Metallo will try to force the issue.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Issue #13 was really delightful - the story wasn't quite as sharp as the last two, but the art was really fantastic - especially the coloring and composition. And it was a bigger focus on Lois, which I appreciated after she was more a background character in the last two issues.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Astonishing Member

I read the last four issues in one sitting. I have to say i prefer the books focus on one story instead of two. It makes for better storytelling. Issues #11 and #12 are my favorite so far while #13 did great to showcase Lois and the role she plays and ironing that out to Clark since he does the exact same thing only for him, he wears his underwear outside and she doesn't.

Damn I was not expecting Prankster to show up. Really loved his getaway gag and I did think it was funny that his wife was the one who told Lois to go interview him so his escape attempt would be ruined. Guess next issue is the big Metallo showdown huh?

Damn I was not expecting Prankster to show up. Really loved his getaway gag and I did think it was funny that his wife was the one who told Lois to go interview him so his escape attempt would be ruined. Guess next issue is the big Metallo showdown huh?
    I'm betting the last two issues are a finale with Metallo in both.

Pretty straightforward Metallo vs. Superman fight. Kinda feeling my frustration about Metallo bubbling up again. I like Venditti’s motivation for him here, a war veteran who sacrificed life and limb for country, transformed into a human weapon by superiors who exploited him, resentful that Superman gets the acclaim despite never really having to suffer for it, but I kinda wish Corbyn had gotten more focus over the course of the mini. Like Johns and Morrison, Venditti has some good ideas for Metallo here, but they don’t feel developed enough. The fight is a pretty straightforward brawl but I am looking forward to what Supes will use Parasite for. Pelletier makes it look utterly gorgeous.

Pretty straightforward Metallo vs. Superman fight. Kinda feeling my frustration about Metallo bubbling up again. I like Venditti’s motivation for him here, a war veteran who sacrificed life and limb for country, transformed into a human weapon by superiors who exploited him, resentful that Superman gets the acclaim despite never really having to suffer for it, but I kinda wish Corbyn had gotten more focus over the course of the mini. Like Johns and Morrison, Venditti has some good ideas for Metallo here, but they don’t feel developed enough. The fight is a pretty straightforward brawl but I am looking forward to what Supes will use Parasite for. Pelletier makes it look utterly gorgeous.
    I really enjoyed this one. Pelletier being back made me really happy - I love a run that starts and finishes with the same artist. And the writing loops back to the very first issue - really nicely done.

According to this comment from Venditti, it sounds like Superman Man of Tomorrow #15 is the last issue of both Venditti's run and the digital series:

https://twitter.com/robertvenditti/s...47994824351746

I don't know if this is true but there's no advert for issue 16. If this is indeed the end, I'm very sad to see it go. Man of Tomorrow has been a fun and enjoyable alternative to the current Superman comics. Venditti provides a classic, identifiable portrayal of Superman, his one and done stories have been easily accessible to new and old fans alike and there have been some great Superman moments from this series. To quickly comment on his second run:

1. Superman: Man of Tomorrow #11 had a great fight and Superman giving Grikus a final glorious battle allowing him to win felt like the perfect Superman move. The art felt more subdued than Pelletier's given the action focus but it paired well with the character moments.

• Issue #12 is my favourite of the series and contender for the best story. A perfect contrast between a mythological/slice of life story of Superman subbing in for Atlas in holding up the weight of the world whilst also showing how his example inspires the citizens of Metropolis and his fellow superheroes to do good. The art was beautifully creative in showing Superman holding up the comic panels.

Issue #13 was a nice change of pace in focusing on Lois and her journalism work. Plus The Prankster is an underrated Superman villain so seeing him in the spotlight was interesting. Not a big of the art style and I would say the Toyman story was better.
    • The final two issues featured the most interesting portrayal of Parasite and Metallo in years. It would have been easy to end the series with a massive brawl between Superman and these two villains but Venditti went for a quieter, more sympathetic approach which highlighted Superman's empathy and devotion to finding another way to help others. Another strong story to conclude the series.

I hope there's a trade collection of this series, it would be an easy recommendation for new readers.

Edit: Venditti has confirmed it's the end of the series: https://twitter.com/robertvenditti/s...18747374891011
    Last edited by Lvenger; 08-12-2020 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    According to this comment from Venditti, it sounds like Superman Man of Tomorrow #15 is the last issue of both Venditti's run and the digital series:

I don't know if this is true but there's no advert for issue 16. If this is indeed the end, I'm very sad to see it go. Man of Tomorrow has been a fun and enjoyable alternative to the current Superman comics. Venditti provides a classic, identifiable portrayal of Superman, his one and done stories have been easily accessible to new and old fans alike and there have been some great Superman moments from this series. To quickly comment on his second run:

1. Superman: Man of Tomorrow #11 had a great fight and Superman giving Grikus a final glorious battle allowing him to win felt like the perfect Superman move. The art felt more subdued than Pelletier's given the action focus but it paired well with the character moments.

• Issue #12 is my favourite of the series and contender for the best story. A perfect contrast between a mythological/slice of life story of Superman subbing in for Atlas in holding up the weight of the world whilst also showing how his example inspires the citizens of Metropolis and his fellow superheroes to do good. The art was beautifully creative in showing Superman holding up the comic panels.

Issue #13 was a nice change of pace in focusing on Lois and her journalism work. Plus The Prankster is an underrated Superman villain so seeing him in the spotlight was interesting. Not a big of the art style and I would say the Toyman story was better.
    • The final two issues featured the most interesting portrayal of Parasite and Metallo in years. It would have been easy to end the series with a massive brawl between Superman and these two villains but Venditti went for a quieter, more sympathetic approach which highlighted Superman's empathy and devotion to finding another way to help others. Another strong story to conclude the series.

I hope there's a trade collection of this series, it would be an easy recommendation for new readers.

Edit: Venditti has confirmed it's the end of the series: https://twitter.com/robertvenditti/s...18747374891011
    Very odd that the series is ending. I wonder if their experiment with daily Digital First content was not successful enough, or that it was always meant to be a temporary thing during the shutdown. But kind of disappointing. Though, to be fair, I think Man of Tomorrow is the jewel in the crown of the daily Digital Firsts, because it was actually an entire run, rather than the scattershot anthology approach that almost all of the other comics were taking.

Venditti really did a great job, and I very much want a trade - I want to collect the whole thing physically!

Solid if not unexpected ending. Was cool to see Venditti call back to his first “run” by bringing back Parasite, and it was nice to see Supes use his brain to defeat Metallo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post

I don't know if this is true but there's no advert for issue 16.
    DC books never advertise the next issue, that's a Marvel thing.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Looks like more Man of Tomorrow is coming: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFPRBZvB...=1ngv9qxo4qkhk
    Dunno if it will be a new writer or not.

BANNED

I want to ask, where can you read these digital series? And how much do you have to subscribe for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    I want to ask, where can you read these digital series? And how much do you have to subscribe for it?
    ComiXology, usually $0.99 per issue.