Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I didn't find anything adventures. I went like this.

There wasn't anything fun.

I want some of this.
    I mean, I had plenty of fun watching Superman get the best of villains, bouncing off his supporting cast, and saving the day, but that's just me.
    Why not? jon pulls it of with damian.

Just give the guy a personality. All this "be good" business is too much.
    I think there's a difference with kids ribbing each other and Supderdickery.

I mean, I think Clark has plenty of personality without needing to resort to that, but to each their own.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It baffles me that I have to point out the difference between a young child like Jon and a grown man like Clark. We accept that Jon has not fully matured and thus will abuse his powers in ways that an adult would not be tolerated doing. In the USA kids are not tried or treated as full adults and thus Jon pulling pranks is fine. He’s a child so acting childish is no problem.

Clark on the other hand is a grown man in his 30s. Him pulling Superdickery moves on his co-workers to the extent Silver Age Superman did wouldn’t fly because the storytelling is different. The Silver Age comics are aimed at kids. The modern ones are not.
    In other words,

Kids are treated like kids everywhere(except for some places). Nope! Jon has personality while clark has none. Jon isn't going for "nice guy awards". Besides, the kid knows it's a dick move. He still does it cause he is upto mischief, always. Its not like damian is a slouch . Jon isn't that innocent or small. I could see the kid do it at 21 or 30 or 100.Too serious if you ask me. Sadly, under Bendis's pen jon is like current clark. Boring.

Yet, the audiences cannot handle something really adult with these characters. They stick to their dogmas like life raft. What does his age have to do with him being a dick? There are grown men and woman who can be dicks you know.

Look at the dude sitting there cross legged, all relaxed while lois is getting married. Now, that's pretty damn funny. I want to see a superman who is laid back and doesn't give a damn, more often.It is'nt that serious. Its just an imaginary story.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-01-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Just because Superman's not mischievous he doesn't have a personality ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just because Superman's not mischievous he doesn't have a personality ?
    There are plenty of other traits he lack. Curiosity , true optimism, sense of wonder and thirst for adventure, energy, humour, strength of conviction, power honed through falling flat on your face, a dangerous side, a vulnerable side... Etc to name a few. Also, there wasn't much bouncing of from the cast members Lois using others to get close is the only thing i could think of.Superman getting the best of villains is'nt that big of a deal. Villains were merely fodders.

See superman and jon can both fly or jump around. Difference is, Artists and writers made Jon actually do the jumping and flight in a more fun manner. While, when superman flies there is nothing. I feel bored.Sadly, That's also bad thing about bendis run. He made jon into generic sun god.Jon's abilities are boring under bendis.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-01-2020 at 09:49 PM.

There are plenty of other traits he lack. Curiosity , true optimism, sense of wonder and thirst for adventure, energy, humour, strength of conviction, power honed through falling flat on your face, a dangerous side, a vulnerable side... Etc to name a few. Also, there wasn't much bouncing of from the cast members Lois using others to get close is the only thing i could think of.Superman getting the best of villains is'nt that big of a deal. Villains were merely fodders.

See superman and jon can both fly or jump around. Difference is, Artists and writers made Jon actually do the jumping and flight in a more fun manner. While, when superman flies there is nothing. I feel bored.Sadly, That's also bad thing about bendis run. He made jon into generic sun god.Jon's abilities are boring under bendis
    What have you read actually where he shows none of those traits? Because all of that stuff has been in Bendis run. It was in Tomasi’s Rebirth run. It was in Morrison and Pak Action, Yang’s Smashes the Klan, King’s Up in the Sky, etc. Your criticisms feel totally disconnected from the actual material and a lot of your complaints boil down to “I want Superman to be written exactly like this manga/anime I like” and I just don’t get why. The stuff you like does what it sets out to do perfectly well, but it’s like complaining Goku cares more about a good fight and not about saving people so the writers need to make him even more of a Superman clone than he’s become. They’re not the same character and that’s ok.

Would you really want to read an issue where Superman makes Lois fat to teach her a lesson? Have you actually read the Silver Age stuff you posted? There’s a lot of great ideas from the Silver Age, but the actual storytelling is pretty shabby and straightforward. Hell some of those covers posted flat out lie, they’re not at all what the actual story is about.
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-01-2020 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    What are you talking about? What have you read actually where he shows none of those traits? Because all of that stuff has been in Bendis run. It was in Tomasi’s Rebirth run. It was in Morrison and Pak Action, Yang’s Smashes the Klan, King’s Up in the Sky, etc. Your criticisms feel totally disconnected from the actual material and a lot of your complaints boil down to “I want Superman to be written exactly like this manga/anime I like” and I just don’t get why. The stuff you like does what it sets out to do perfectly well, but it’s like complaining Goku cares more about a good fight and not about saving people so the writers need to make him even more of a Superman clone than he’s become. They’re not the same character and that’s ok.

Would you really want to read an issue where Superman makes Lois fat to teach her a lesson? Have you actually read the Silver Age stuff you posted? There’s a lot of great ideas from the Silver Age, but the actual storytelling is pretty shabby and straightforward.
    Nah! Bendis's run is tonally different from tomasi's, Morrison's,.. Etc. It doesn't feel the fun adventure or the resilience underdog feel or the lonely alien feel. Too much melodrama. Superman is very generic in his run as well,as this one. A goody two shoes safe nice guy. Btw,Aren't we talking about this specific portrayal?nah! I just want some excitement when i read these comics. These were pretty boring generic stories, with lois being like "hur! Dur! People bet on wrong people" and superman being like"sharing caring.. Parasite, i feel you Brother!". Superman feels bland,here.

why not?I would read. An ******* superman, its not exactly blasphemy .if i find it funny, it would be funny for me. Come to think of it, superman himself get's fat a couple of times.Finally, i didn't bring up any anime.So, your assumptions are entirely wrong.i want some funny, goofy, badass superman. That's it.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-01-2020 at 11:52 PM.

See superman and jon can both fly or jump around. Difference is, Artists and writers made Jon actually do the jumping and flight in a more fun manner. While, when superman flies there is nothing. I feel bored.Sadly, That's also bad thing about bendis run. He made jon into generic sun god.Jon's abilities are boring under bendis.
    I mean, I got a sense of a lot of those traits for Superman within this comic, but to each their own and I thought Paul Pelletier did a great job depicting Supes' powers in action.

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yasmin Putri on interiors is awesome. She usually just does covers, but she had an awesome Supergirl story in one of those DC anthologies a while back.

The art looks really good, but I'll wait and see what the opinions on the story are before I buy the next issue. It looks like the creative teams will rotate like in Adventures of Superman.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Both stories were so good.

Bit of a different style than Venditti but so good.

The first one was a Jimmy centric story which was clever and cute.

The second one was fantastic. A great new perspective on Superman and a good character story, as well as plenty of action. Havemt heard of this writer before but if this is how he writes Superman I would love for him to write a Superman series.

High recommend.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Is this digital exclusive or was it published in a 100 page giant before?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I want some of this.
    Hard pass for me, dude. I get enough of Superman being awful in just about every media adaption he doesn't die in these days.

It works for Jon because he's a growing kid and doesn't have the responsibility of being a grown adult with an example to set for his child. If this was a golden age or early career Superman, he absolutely could get away with being more brash. Having a ten year-old son and being established as Earth's champion? Yeah, no. I'd prefer we didn't get rude, manchild Superman.

Just me. Different strokes for different folks.

I will say, however, that Yasmin Putri on interiors is a welcome vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Hard pass for me, dude. I get enough of Superman being awful in just about every media adaption he doesn't die in these days.

It works for Jon because he's a growing kid and doesn't have the responsibility of being a grown adult with an example to set for his child. If this was a golden age or early career Superman, he absolutely could get away with being more brash. Having a ten year-old son and being established as Earth's champion? Yeah, no. I'd prefer we didn't get rude, manchild Superman.

Just me. Different strokes for different folks.

I will say, however, that Yasmin Putri on interiors is a welcome vision.
    In which adaptation was superman "awful"? Superman is bland and on top of that irritatingly naive. Worse its done in serious manner. Especially, when written like in this series . There is nothing really interesting about him. As if grown adults don't goof off or act like jerks. Why should superman be about to "setting an example"?How on earth is this character going deliever any message, if there is no entertainment value? The kid is more entertaining. Period. If that's being a man-child so be it,Better than a snooze fest. I would take a cheeky, sarcastic, humorous superman.There is also a lack of stakes. This kinda writing is why Superman is called boring. Atleast, have the guy make some face or something. Finally, i don't see a champion in this guy.
    These guys even made secret id all serious and dramatic, Making it stupid in the process .The guy should be winking at cameras.

Honestly, these superantics strips have been way more entertaining than anything superman.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-16-2020 at 12:31 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Both stories were so good.

Bit of a different style than Venditti but so good.

The first one was a Jimmy centric story which was clever and cute.

The second one was fantastic. A great new perspective on Superman and a good character story, as well as plenty of action. Havemt heard of this writer before but if this is how he writes Superman I would love for him to write a Superman series.

High recommend.
    Just read it, quite good. Whilst the Jimmy portion was predictable, I liked it a lot. The second was captivating and I wished it was longer.