Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Just read it, quite good. Whilst the Jimmy portion was predictable, I liked it a lot. The second was captivating and I wished it was longer.
    See, I was the exact opposite I thought the Jimmy story was pretty solid but could have been better if it were longer while I felt the second feature with yoda-lite was a little muddled.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

After finally getting it, for me it's an average between two good stories rather than a better part

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Hard pass for me, dude. I get enough of Superman being awful in just about every media adaption he doesn't die in these days.

It works for Jon because he's a growing kid and doesn't have the responsibility of being a grown adult with an example to set for his child. If this was a golden age or early career Superman, he absolutely could get away with being more brash. Having a ten year-old son and being established as Earth's champion? Yeah, no. I'd prefer we didn't get rude, manchild Superman.

Just me. Different strokes for different folks.
    Superman #293 was an excellent comic despite the old cover trick though.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

A little peek at the art from issue #13 by Gleb Melnikov.

EbEbWRCXsAEL46U.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    LOL

Has this book been any good? I do love Venditti's Hawkman and X-O Manowar. Might read this in trade later on...

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    LOL

Has this book been any good? I do love Venditti's Hawkman and X-O Manowar. Might read this in trade later on...
    I've enjoyed the Venditti run on Man of Tomorrow. The stories were pretty basic but they were fun, engaging and universally accessible to every type of reader. I also enjoyed last week's issue which had 2 different stories by the same writer. The Jimmy one was slightly predictable but highlighted Jimmy's resourcefulness and integrity and the second story dealt with Superman's powers in a fascinating way. Wioska almost reminded me of the Supreme Kai from Dragon Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Is this digital exclusive or was it published in a 100 page giant before?
    They're backup stories, I assume from Superman Giant vol 2 #1 and #2.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They're backup stories, I assume from Superman Giant vol 2 #1 and #2.
    These haven’t been in print yet. Only the first three 100 page giants have come out yet, which was released digitally as 1-3. 4-6 and these two issues of shorter stories are digital first.

Superman: Man of Tomorrow #9 Preview: https://comic-watch.com/news/news-wa...-of-tomorrow-9

Both stories are written by Jeff Parker. First one is about some underground creatures attacking a mine and the second has Brainiac unleash a monster on Portland airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    These haven’t been in print yet. Only the first three 100 page giants have come out yet, which was released digitally as 1-3. 4-6 and these two issues of shorter stories are digital first.
    Huh. I thought the Giants had two or three new stories. Superman must be the only one that doesn't.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Just read Van Jensen’s stories, I liked both of them! Wouldn’t mind seeing more Superman work from him. One thing I really like about this book is how many writers have been leaning into the journalism angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Superman: Man of Tomorrow #9 Preview: https://comic-watch.com/news/news-wa...-of-tomorrow-9

Both stories are written by Jeff Parker. First one is about some underground creatures attacking a mine and the second has Brainiac unleash a monster on Portland airport.
    It’s not the Parker run on the mainline books I want, but I’ll take it.

Edit: Just read the previous issue before that. The first one was cliche, I guessed the twist the moment I saw the Twitch hero, gorgeous art though. The one by Dave Wielgosz though was great! I loved the training arc, but I particularly loved the analytics about Superman’s powers:
    5B8E0FCB-4572-43B8-B4F4-0DFA9D4275BA.jpg
    C21D6BEC-09C3-4402-9BEE-6FF9976629A3.jpg
    Felt like a nice counterargument to the “absolute power corrupts absolutely” cliche.
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-29-2020 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Just read Van Jensen’s stories, I liked both of them! Wouldn’t mind seeing more Superman work from him. One thing I really like about this book is how many writers have been leaning into the journalism angle.

It’s not the Parker run on the mainline books I want, but I’ll take it.

Edit: Just read the previous issue before that. The first one was cliche, I guessed the twist the moment I saw the Twitch hero, gorgeous art though. The one by Dave Wielgosz though was great! I loved the training arc, but I particularly loved the analytics about Superman’s powers:
    5B8E0FCB-4572-43B8-B4F4-0DFA9D4275BA.jpg
    C21D6BEC-09C3-4402-9BEE-6FF9976629A3.jpg
    Felt like a nice counterargument to the “absolute power corrupts absolutely” cliche.
    Van Jensen did some nice work, he and Venditti leaned heavily on the use of journalism in their stories which was a nice change of pace. I wouldn't mind more Superman work from either of them.

I know you've been after a Jeff Parker run on Superman so I was expecting a comment from you about this. They look pretty good, normally I wait for some opinions and reviews to come out before I buy a digital issue but for Parker I know the writing will be good so it's a guaranteed early purchase.

So Superman is now Goku? Have we gone full circle?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Toriyama stole Superman's origin for Dragon Ball Minus and the Broly movie so it's only fair for Superman to steal something back.

Parker’s stuff was a fun Brainiac two-parter. One idea that I think should definitely make its way over to the main books, is that Brainiac gets a reason to keep coming back to Earth: Using Earth as a place to test out his experiments. It lets you have Brainiac vs. Superman stories without it necessarily needing to be a planet wide threat.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Training =/=goku. Superman used to workout in goldenage age. Besides that, how the training is portayed is the judge of quality.I don't know why people have a problem with superman's muscles being real,than hot air. The sun explanation has always undermined the physicality of the character.