Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The latest was a little thin, I think this is an instance where more than one issue would have fit the story better.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I LOVE this book. Vendetti's dialogue is fantastic and his Clark/Lois dynamic is among the best I've ever read.

Last two issues have just been ok. I really liked the merging on the mainline and DCAU Toyman designs. Felt like it worked really well.
    E8EA47F6-F038-45A6-B251-00CC555E5262.jpg
    His Lois and Clark are good, I like their dynamic, and I like how important journalism has been to this story. It’s keeping me entertained even if it’s not blowing me away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    The only thing I think this book doesn't really have is good dialogue and it is playing it really safe.

It really is a well balanced take as a side story but if you said to me this would be the main Superman title in the main line, I don't think I would be satisfied because it lacks ambition. It reads as a random Superman story you get from the newstand to read while waiting in line somewhere or episodes from Superman The Animated Series. But I guess, thats what DC is going for in this titles. Cool stories to scratch the itch. And they do it well and for 1 dollar its a steal.

Other than that, everything looks cool, from the designs of the villains, to Lex and Superman being in a constant chess match, Superman getting some inspirational moments as much as cool action.
    I wouldn’t be satisfied with these on the main line either, but I doubt that’s what Venditti would go for anyway. These are meant to be solid meat and potatoes superhero stories. Now Venditti has really done great work on Hawkman and Freedom Fighters, while his Hal N’ Pals was solid. He says Superman is his favorite hero so I still am curious to see what he’d do on the main line, hopefully he’d be as ambitious as he’s been on the more off to the side DC books. Personally I feel like he’d be well suited to Action while a bigger name is on Superman, but we’ll see if he ever gets a chance.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-12-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I wouldn’t be satisfied with these on the main line either, but I doubt that’s what Venditti would go for anyway. These are meant to be solid meat and potatoes superhero stories. Now Venditti has really done great work on Hawkman and Freedom Fighters, while his Hal N’ Pals was solid. He says Superman is his favorite hero so I still am curious to see what he’d do on the main line, hopefully he’d be as ambitious as he’s been on the more off to the side DC books. Personally I feel like he’d be well suited to Action while a bigger name is on Superman, but we’ll see if he ever gets a chance.
    Honestly I think the power of solid, standalone, one-in-dones in a classic vein can't be understated.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly I think the power of solid, standalone, one-in-dones in a classic vein can't be understated.
    For what it’s worth I would definitely recommend Man of Tomorrow (so far) and King’s Up in the Sky to newcomers. It’s really nice to have enjoyable Superman stories that take place in the “middle” of his career. I’m just hungry for someone to give Superman an Immortal Hulk or HiX-Men type of generation defining run lol. But Venditti writes Lois and Clark well, he incorporates the journalist aspect, the art is wonderful, and he’s using Superman’s villains. It’s good stuff even if it’s not going to blow your mind (maybe I was being a little harsh by saying the last two have been just ok).

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

For what it’s worth I would definitely recommend Man of Tomorrow (so far) and King’s Up in the Sky to newcomers. It’s really nice to have enjoyable Superman stories that take place in the “middle” of his career. I’m just hungry for someone to give Superman an Immortal Hulk or HiX-Men type of generation defining run lol. But Venditti writes Lois and Clark well, he incorporates the journalist aspect, the art is wonderful, and he’s using Superman’s villains. It’s good stuff even if it’s not going to blow your mind (maybe I was being a little harsh by saying the last two have been just ok).
    Agreed. Superman is a character that works so well in his classic status quo, but unfortunately due to the demands of big status quo shaking events that shared continuity superhero universes, the character hasn't gotten to do straight up Superman stories for more than a decade.

That said, I'm not sure how much of a market there is within the hardcore superhero fanbase for this kind of stuff, but given how that market seems like a financial dead end to be chasing, I think putting out a Superman book like this is a great idea.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 05-13-2020 at 01:16 AM.

Read issue 5. Really enjoyed it, any comic with a Titano appearance can’t go wrong. Looks like we’re building to the final confrontation with Luthor next issue which I think will be Venditti’s final issue as well. If he nails the ending this will sit as a solid recommendation for stand-alone Superman stories.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Does anyone know if the Giants are going to continue? I'm strongly considering dropping them and just going all-in on digital for some of these.

If DC is going to continue the usual model for print but use digital to tell more classic done-in-one stuff (that perhaps has a larger arc over them), I'm so on-board for that. I definitely miss shorter stories and the recent giants were scratching that itch.

I really loved this latest issue! The whole back to basics approach that Vendetti has used on this book has really benefited his exploration of the rivalry between Clark and Lex as it conveys the sense of a much earlier adventure but without needing to provide a rehash of either's origin which really allows you to cut to the heart of the story. It's not all familiar beats that make the story work though, rather than Lex donning his usual purple and green power suit and whizzing around town we see him here using his technology to create a robotic dragnet that is capable of not only taking on threats that even Superman struggled with like Titano(more on that in a bit) but is able to monitor all crime in the city. It's an interesting concept in that it not only pits Superman against Lex but makes the reader think about the nature of criminal justice; is big brother really such a bad idea if it does protect most people? Sure, we've had better writers than Vendetti muse on that topic, and he plays his hand at it by issue's end but I think it fits Lex much better than the power suit and it gives Superman something that brawn alone won't defeat. On top of that we saw that brawn alone sometimes isn't enough as Vendetti gave us a Superman that while Super isn't a god as he struggled with the might of Titano in the opening which is a great change and really opens the character up for a larger variety of stories.

Read issue 6, felt very Fleschier-esque with Superman punching the laser. I think this was the last issue and overall it was an entertaining standalone story about an in his prime Superman. Will recommend those going forward, wasn’t groundbreaking, but it was entertaining.

Read issue 6, felt very Fleschier-esque with Superman punching the laser. I think this was the last issue and overall it was an entertaining standalone story about an in his prime Superman. Will recommend those going forward, wasn’t groundbreaking, but it was entertaining.
    That scene with the laser was fantastic and I think that Fleschier comparison is why the book is such a solid read; it's nothing terribly new but it takes everything there is to love about the concept of Superman and puts it into bite size chunks. It's a comforting primer on the history of Superman, which really hits the spot these days.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

So, this is the final issue by that creative team, correct?

It was a fun, if inessential, romp that reminded me how fun a straight up, non-event driven, Superman title could be. I don't think it would be the kind of book that would change anyone's mind about Superman, but it would be a great book to hand to a Superman fan that just wants something fun and light. And, these days, that's exactly what a lot of people are looking for.

Astonishing Member

This series is a handbook of what you SHOULDN'T do when you write a Superman story, or a superhero story in general. It contains so many clichès and cringy moments that it seems written for parody purposes.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    So, this is the final issue by that creative team, correct?

It was a fun, if inessential, romp that reminded me how fun a straight up, non-event driven, Superman title could be. I don't think it would be the kind of book that would change anyone's mind about Superman, but it would be a great book to hand to a Superman fan that just wants something fun and light. And, these days, that's exactly what a lot of people are looking for.
    Final issue, period. We're getting Batwoman/Supergirl: World's Finest instead tomorrow.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Final issue, period. We're getting Batwoman/Supergirl: World's Finest instead tomorrow.
    That's unfortuante, grateful for what we got at least.