Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Superman: Man of Tomorrow Digital First Thread

Figured we should just make a full discussion thread since it’s going to be a while before the next Superman issues come out, even with DC trying to get up and running. Issues 1 and 2 are now out:

First issue was a fun little story about the Parasite. A straightforward Superman story where he’s up against one of his Rogues which I enjoyed.

Second one looks to be about a villainous gambler which sounds intriguing and reminds me of an idea for a Superman story I had of my own. If Venditti is going where I think he is with this, this will be entertaining. Either way the writing so far has been solid and the art has been great, if you guys are bored of reading back issues or your backlog is all cleared out, I’d recommend giving this a read. It’s a solid way to get your Superman fix for right now.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Do we know how many issues there will be for this book? I am enjoying this a lot more than I figured I would. The plots aren't huge end of the world scenarios, but that's part of the appeal. It's nice seeing Clark just dealing with crime in the city again, with Lois and Jimmy as backup. I also like that he and Lois are married, really feels like the early 2000's era in a sense.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Loving these classic Superman stories. Has humor, heart, action. Venditti really gets Superman and writes him well. The art is also great. Reminds me of the Traingle years a bit. So.much better than Bendis. I gotta track down these in print from the Supman Giants.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Do we know how many issues there will be for this book? I am enjoying this a lot more than I figured I would. The plots aren't huge end of the world scenarios, but that's part of the appeal. It's nice seeing Clark just dealing with crime in the city again, with Lois and Jimmy as backup. I also like that he and Lois are married, really feels like the early 2000's era in a sense.
    These are reprints of the lead new story appearing in the Superman Giant books. The first 2 issues of that were out before these digital issues were released. I am not sure if the rest will come out in digital before the Giants now, or whether they will wait for the Giants to be released first.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I enjoyed the first issue of Man of Tomorrow, it was an enjoyable start to the series. An old fashioned villain of the week one and done issue with enough action, humour and heart to satisfy my cravings in a Superman story. Superman, Lois, Jimmy and Perry felt on point in their characterisations and Venditti highlighted Superman's ability to inspire others as well as his use of his intellect to defeat Parasite well. Pelletier's art was solid as well, I'm a fan of his work on Aquaman and Incredible Hulk. My major gripes were the basic plot structure and very cheesy dialogue in the Superman vs Parasite fight. Still, this was a refreshing back to basics Superman comic that I've been missing with Bendis in charge at the moment.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

An idea came to me yesterday that I want to float by some people here. Should DC convert their regular books to the stand alone story format like these books? They seem to be selling pretty well and they are going on Ebay for three or four times their cover price within days of coming out. And they are more new reader friendly than the mainstream books. The continuity is loose enough that you don't need to follow anything that came before. This seems like a much better model than we have now. It's kind of going backward in some ways but given the market today, it's not the worst idea.
    Assassinate Putin!

It'd be nice to get an issue that's a pre-Crisis status quo, but since status quos barely come into play into self-contained stories like these its not that a big deal anyway. Super marriage is not a deal breaker, just not a preference. My only deal-breaker didn't exist in this story and that was more than refreshing enough. I very much hope that continues so I have something to enjoy.

An idea came to me yesterday that I want to float by some people here. Should DC convert their regular books to the stand alone story format like these books? They seem to be selling pretty well and they are going on Ebay for three or four times their cover price within days of coming out. And they are more new reader friendly than the mainstream books. The continuity is loose enough that you don't need to follow anything that came before. This seems like a much better model than we have now. It's kind of going backward in some ways but given the market today, it's not the worst idea.
    Personally, I'd love it. After 3 decades I've grown weary with strong continuity. But that's me. I question how the DC audience by and large would take it. My initial belief is that it would not be taken well. Whether staunch love for tight continuity or just a sense of security because its what they know, its what they're most familiar with, either way lack of continuity tends to get push back. Hell when I was younger I had a hard time dealing with it when the triangle era stopped and not all four Sueprman titles were happening sequentially anymore. Aside from just being mostly bad ideas, DCYou touted less stringent continuity and fans raged. It wasn't even true, the continuity was still there, it was just a meaningless tagline and they still got mad about it. So I'm not sure it'd work overall. Maybe I'm overestimating how upset the larger fanbase would be, I dunno. If the model was tried though I'd certainly be in.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-27-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It'd be nice to get an issue that's a pre-Crisis status quo, but since status quos barely come into play into self-contained stories like these its not that a big deal anyway. Super marriage is not a deal breaker, just not a preference. My only deal-breaker didn't exist in this story and that was more than refreshing enough. I very much hope that continues so I have something to enjoy.
    This might actually be a good way to introduce Earth's 1985 and 52. Stand alone stories that aren't connected to anything. If they do it with these books, there's no reason they can't do it with those. They already have a built in audience.
    Assassinate Putin!

That'd be awesome. I still contend they should fashion different logos just like they do for different imprints like Black Label, the regular DC logo meaning main line stuff, then do one that says DC without the circle and maybe a "5 2" and "8 5" in the background denoting stories more befitting those worlds' set up. And with just a loose idea you wouldn't be really committed to following anything but general ideas. 52 stuff would be the younger guy, trunksless costume. The 85 ones far more retro, in a time when specifically 80s nostalgia in particular is huge.

First 85 story I'd pitch...Superman teams up with the kids from Stranger Things and the Losers Club from It to take on Pennywise and a Demogorgon.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-27-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think for general consumption it's a very viable strategy. This kind of stand-alone, continuity-free content will appeal to non-fans and new readers a lot more than the ongoing continuity we have in the direct market. So it's a great option for bookstores, digital, Scholastic, large scale retailers like Wal-Mart (which is where this came from right?) etc. I want to see more stuff like this and Smashes the Klan and Breaking Glass and Harleen; stuff you can read without having to dedicate your life to understanding the continuity and history.

As far as the direct market goes, I always welcome stuff like this but I don't know if switching to this kind of narrative structure over the serialized format would provide any worthwhile benefit. Most of us who are in the direct market want the ongoing, serialized story and know the history/continuity already. We'll happily grab other stuff as complimentary/supplementary material, or as a temporary replacement if the current ongoing books don't satisfy, but I don't think we'd see any real change in sales or units sold if DC switched to this kind of approach over the serialized narrative.

I think sales would be a lot more elastic and unpredictable. One issue of Superman might sell like crazy while the next doesn't, depending on the creators and hook for the story. That's got some good points as well as bad, and it'd likely make pushing C-listers easier (at least in some ways), but I dunno if it'd be worth doing for the direct market.

Besides, the ongoing continuity is why we have stuff like Wally West as Flash, Dick as Nightwing, Conner Kent and John Irons and Jon Kent, etc. Stand alone stuff is great, but can't advance the overall character narrative or mythology. No, I think it's best to have the ongoing continuity as well as the self-contained stuff. There's room for both, and I think fans can enjoy both, the only real hurdle is finding the right market/s for the right approach and making sure potential fans become actual paying customers.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-27-2020 at 11:49 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

12 issues I think, same as King’s Up in the Sky.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

Personally, I'd love it. After 3 decades I've grown weary with strong continuity. But that's me. I question how the DC audience by and large would take it. My initial belief is that it would not be taken well. Whether staunch love for tight continuity or just a sense of security because its what they know, its what they're most familiar with, either way lack of continuity tends to get push back. Hell when I was younger I had a hard time dealing with it when the triangle era stopped and not all four Sueprman titles were happening sequentially anymore. Aside from just being mostly bad ideas, DCYou touted less stringent continuity and fans raged. It wasn't even true, the continuity was still there, it was just a meaningless tagline and they still got mad about it. So I'm not sure it'd work overall. Maybe I'm overestimating how upset the larger fanbase would be, I dunno. If the model was tried though I'd certainly be in.
    Honestly, a good way to handle this would just be another Superman title like adventures of superman, with just noral daily planet adventures that loosely follows what happens in the main book. Similar to Marvel's friendly neighboorhood spider-man series. You disengage fans if it feels like there is no continuity at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    These are reprints of the lead new story appearing in the Superman Giant books. The first 2 issues of that were out before these digital issues were released. I am not sure if the rest will come out in digital before the Giants now, or whether they will wait for the Giants to be released first.

-M
    I understood they were reprints of the walmart stories, I j ust didn't know how many issues this particular story was. Thanks for the insight though!

Honestly, a good way to handle this would just be another Superman title like adventures of superman, with just noral daily planet adventures that loosely follows what happens in the main book. Similar to Marvel's friendly neighboorhood spider-man series. You disengage fans if it feels like there is no continuity at all.

I understood they were reprints of the walmart stories, I j ust didn't know how many issues this particular story was. Thanks for the insight though!
    Well the Walmart versions are continuing to be released so far, even if the direct market is on hiatus. They come out every 6 weeks or so, so I don't know if DC will switch to digital first with the rest of the stories to keep product available digitally, which could affect how long the run will be depending how often they release digital issues. Because the Walmart issues have been released roughly every 6 weeks (a step back back from monthly when they launched the first versions of these), I am not sure how many issues were planned or in the can (most of the longer arcs were 12 parts the first time around, but who knows this time with the slower release frequency, they may keep the arcs shorter so they do not draw out as long in time). And if they go digital first and release faster, they will use up the finished in the can issues more quickly which can also affect how many issues it runs. So how long they run seems tied to the Walmart format and whether they stay the course or abandon it to provide new content in the direct market gap. Whether they intend to continue them as digital releases or revert to Walmart releases only once their new distributors start up this month and Diamond starts back up and they have other content to sell is also a factor. What was initially planned fo the arcs when they started as Walmart books may not be what they end up being in the new normal. A lot is in flux and undecided right now and any answer we have today may be different tomorrow as things change.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I won't be surprised if it ends on week 4. Not only are the normal comics back by that point, they also may not have drawn more than that yet. I think issue 3 is as far as the Giants got? And some were still only on issue 1 or 2. After that, I guess the digital releases will revert to being monthly, still coming out slightly ahead of the Giants (justifying the Digital First name).

These are twice the length of the Tom King story, by the way, so it'd only be six issues with the same pagination. However, that was specifically a 12 part story (they doubled up in the stand alone version, forming 6 issues) whereas this one being a one and done format can run indefinitely.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-28-2020 at 01:19 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Yeah! The book had problems for me. overall decent with few great things, some that didn't work for me. The guy doesn't understand or feel hunger. Yet, he is condescendingly talking down to parasite as if he has any idea. The fight wasn't good either. It should have just focused on the fight and clark taking parasite to a hospital because of compassion.The thing i liked was superman taking charge of black out situation with people and making requests. I would have added something to make it more nuanced, by some being jackassess and thinking of themselves or doing something selfish. Either clark or someone from the people taking them apart for doing son. Overall, has problems but is ok.

Getting powers that is nothing but gift and that can be sustained without effort Isn't like being cursed with hunger and emptiness caused by structural violence . The feeling of helplessness that doesn't change no matter what you do. Talking to a person who is going through impact of such violence, like a child isn't welcomed or appreciated .Furthermore , these people have pride and not just the fortunate.The idea of everyone sharing what they can inorder to help each other and those less fortunate is welcome.

lois you were scared out of your mind, the first time you saw the real clark kent a.k.a superman. Furthermore, i think she is being naive, to say that superman could never be a bad thing. Maybe she was just cheering up clark. But, I do think their talks in an astonished tone of "people betting on wrong people" shows just that.

The thing i really loved. Clark sitting down with the old woman and actually talking. I don't particularly like the setup superman being cosy with the police as an organisation. But, it being a deterrent to him connecting to people is very much appreciated. Also, love how Clark's a compassionate being. He isn't much one of the rest,like he should be. But, he is a decent person. But, i don't understand his idea of change. What he is hoping for? But, i do understand the one person at a time approach.if this is just him trying to be moral authority for one or two "followers" and then "converting" others to the way of "the superman". Create supermanism. Then it's the same nonsense.it has a bad side. And atleast, should be acknowledged.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-28-2020 at 03:17 AM.