Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Shouldn't it be Venditti & Pelletier's Man of Tomorrow?

I don't know about the rest of you, but Pelletier's art was the main draw of issue #1. Or is Pelletier not doing the art for all of Venditti's stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

I don't know about the rest of you, but Pelletier's art was the main draw of issue #1. Or is Pelletier not doing the art for all of Venditti's stories?
    He's done the first two issues at least.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I won't be surprised if it ends on week 4. Not only are the normal comics back by that point, they also may not have drawn more than that yet. I think issue 3 is as far as the Giants got? And some were still only on issue 1 or 2. After that, I guess the digital releases will revert to being monthly, still coming out slightly ahead of the Giants (justifying the Digital First name).

These are twice the length of the Tom King story, by the way, so it'd only be six issues with the same pagination. However, that was specifically a 12 part story (they doubled up in the stand alone version, forming 6 issues) whereas this one being a one and done format can run indefinitely.
    Venditti confirmed on Twitter the digital run will continue till issue 6 comes out, so I guess it's already finished being written and drawn.

It probably should’ve, you are correct. I do think Pelletier is on art for the whole “run” as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Venditti confirmed on Twitter the digital run will continue till issue 6 comes out, so I guess it's already finished being written and drawn.
    That's good to hear. It wouldn't make sense for this series to stop so suddenly after catching up to the Wall Mart series.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Man, I thought the first issue was a decent enough story, nothing special but entertaining... but this second story? Absolutely fantastic. This was easily my favorite Superman story from the last 20 years, it just had the perfect mix of uplifting pathos, humor, action and the relationship between Clark and Lois is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Man, I thought the first issue was a decent enough story, nothing special but entertaining... but this second story? Absolutely fantastic. This was easily my favorite Superman story from the last 20 years, it just had the perfect mix of uplifting pathos, humor, action and the relationship between Clark and Lois is perfect.
    I love how Lois uses Clark and Jimmy when she can't interview someone .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That was a great bit, really solid character building from one or two lines. This series is really enjoyable.

This latest issue had a nice Golden Age vibe to it. This has been, by far, the strongest of the new digital comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, despite being in the book for only a few pages Lois was written really well. I love the sort of running gag about the cost of replacing Clark's suits.

Read issue 2. God I cackled at that page where Clark confessed to Lois why he was wearing a different suit. I loved how Venditti wrote the Clark/Lois relationship. Great issue overall, I really like the entire concept of the Gambler. Wouldn’t mind him showing up in the mainline, he just needs a costume revamp, maybe something like this:

If Venditti keeps it going I wouldn’t at all mind seeing him get a shot at the main Superbooks! Next issue is Toyman, fingers crossed he gets a good showing!

Vendetti & Pelletier keep cranking out some really fun Superman comics. The newest issue with Toyman is pretty much a retelling of the old Toyman comics and the 90s cartoon, but it works just fine. No one is going to praising these comics for breaking new ground or reinventing the wheel, but week after week, this title consistently delivers the goods for anyone who loves Superman and needs a smile put on their face.

Vendetti & Pelletier keep cranking out some really fun Superman comics. The newest issue with Toyman is pretty much a retelling of the old Toyman comics and the 90s cartoon, but it works just fine. No one is going to praising these comics for breaking new ground or reinventing the wheel, but week after week, this title consistently delivers the goods for anyone who loves Superman and needs a smile put on their face.
    Yeah, nothing too deep here but it's solid Superman storytelling and I really dig the almost goldenage style poses Pelletier gives Superman

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

The only thing I think this book doesn't really have is good dialogue and it is playing it really safe.

It really is a well balanced take as a side story but if you said to me this would be the main Superman title in the main line, I don't think I would be satisfied because it lacks ambition. It reads as a random Superman story you get from the newstand to read while waiting in line somewhere or episodes from Superman The Animated Series. But I guess, thats what DC is going for in this titles. Cool stories to scratch the itch. And they do it well and for 1 dollar its a steal.

Other than that, everything looks cool, from the designs of the villains, to Lex and Superman being in a constant chess match, Superman getting some inspirational moments as much as cool action.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I am enjoying these more than I have enjoyed a DC comic for a long time. A story told in a single issue - who thought this was still possible?! The back to basics approach is very welcome. While Apokalips War (seriously, just don't, it will not make you happy) is an encyclopedia of how DC has gone wrong, these remind me of why I used to be a fan.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison