Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Retconned Stories That You Still Wish Were In Continuity.

What are some DC stories that have long since been retconned out of canon that you wish were still in continuity?
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

The New 52.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Boisterously Confused

The original Manhunters story from Justice League. All of Pre-Crisis E2, but All-Star Squadron in particular.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Morrison's AC run.
    Its a crime when Morrison gets retconned.

The Speed Force ( Geoff John's retconned it into being created by Barry Allen when he became a Flash )

Pretty much all of Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain's history.

Everything Pre-Crisis by Gardner Fox, Gerry Conway, Roy Thomas, Marv Wolfman and Paul Levitz.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    The New 52.
    Particularly the first half of Batman's origin, Zero Year. Not to diminish Year One, but there's no reason for it to remain in continuity 30+ years later.

Extraordinary Member

The three Batgirls. There’s this weird dichotomy going on right now where Babs is a bit too young and immature to me, while Stephanie Brown and Cass Cain are both sitting around in weird places story-wise.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Particularly the first half of Batman's origin, Zero Year. Not to diminish Year One, but there's no reason for it to remain in continuity 30+ years later.
    Zero Year has been retconned? and i agree. Year One is a classic and all. But I prefer Zero Year, it was so epic and Capullo's art was at it's peak (which is saying something). Plus Year One was more of a Gordon story, which is cool and everything but it's not like Zero Year didn't also do a lot of interesting things with Jim while still giving Bruce the spotlight. Plus I'm not really big on Frank Miller's uh...Frank Millery origin for Selina.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

A lot of the Valor series. Lar Gand's father sacrificed himself for Earth during the Invasion event and young Lar leaves Daxam to understand why. He joins L.E.G.I.O.N. for a while and latter takes the name Valor and becomes a costumed hero. During his time as a hero he found massive prisons of humans captured by the Dominators to experiment on. Valor freed the prisoners but because they had already been changed by the Dominators instead of going back to Earth these humans settled in colony worlds along the Khund border. These planets over the next 1000 years would go on to become members of the United Planets, and the homeworlds of many members of the Legion itself. Valor is seen almost as a religious figure by these worlds in the time of the Legion of Superheroes. Lar ends up in the phantom zone due to lead poisoning and when he is freed in the 31st century he takes the name Mon-El to avoid any religious hysteria.

This origin is just so much better than Mon-El original origin where he is just an amnesiac who Superman thinks is his brother and ends up having to put into the phantom zone.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The three Batgirls. There’s this weird dichotomy going on right now where Babs is a bit too young and immature to me, while Stephanie Brown and Cass Cain are both sitting around in weird places story-wise.
    I think Babs got a major age up last time she changed her costume. Around the same time Dick got shot. Both gained a decade, going from 21 to around 30.

And you're right, Babs should be the experienced and analytical one. Cass is all fight, few words. Steph's the one who should be young and immature.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-27-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

New 52 Superman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Springsteen Superman
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-28-2020 at 04:36 AM.

Steph's the one who should be young and immature.
    I don't like that version of Steph. I liked her a lot better before she got that attitude. I mean, she wasn't the most mature, but she was not less mature than Tim back when she was Spoiler originally (though less trained and experienced). I don't like the complete change in attitude later. And
    And you're right, Babs should be the experienced and analytical one. Cass is all fight, few words. Steph's the one who should be young and immature.
    just sounds like an insult. I don't like that, either. I dislike that she (and to a degree Dick) have too much of an immature (and sometimes airhead) reputation in fandom. Some of the directions that have been taken with those characters at certain times make me sad and I feel like really hurt their chances of being respected as heroes (rather than just liked)*. Dick's at least got a long history to fall back on.

*Kinda have similar issues with Ted Kord in the JL stuff after his solo series. Liked him so much more before that. Wonder if some Bea fans feels that way about her post-COIE reboot, but haven't read enough to comment. Loathe it about Ralph Dibny. At least those were some intentionally done comedic stories where most got treated that way - can't say the same for Dick and Steph.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 04-27-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Morrison's Action Comics run.

NTT as a whole, specifically the George Perez run and "Who is Donna Troy?". everything afterward for Donna is dumb, convoluted bullshit.