Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

NTT as a whole, specifically the George Perez run and "Who is Donna Troy?". everything afterward for Donna is dumb, convoluted bullshit.
    Beautiful story, though not without its own plotholes. Some inherited from the previous origin tale, some not. I just don't like Wonder Woman around when Dick Grayson is a toddler.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Zero Year has been retconned? and i agree. Year One is a classic and all. But I prefer Zero Year, it was so epic and Capullo's art was at it's peak (which is saying something). Plus Year One was more of a Gordon story, which is cool and everything but it's not like Zero Year didn't also do a lot of interesting things with Jim while still giving Bruce the spotlight. Plus I'm not really big on Frank Miller's uh...Frank Millery origin for Selina.
    I don't know if it's officially retconned yet or not, I don't exactly read all the current Bat-books, but definitely from what I've read in the fandom it seems like Batman's past and origin is pulling more from Year One than Zero Year, and the way most New 52 stuff seems to be getting retconned...

The Riddler doing a No Man's Land on Gotham is too much, but everything before that is some of the most fun I've had reading Batman.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Everything Pre-Crisis by Gardner Fox, Gerry Conway, Roy Thomas, Marv Wolfman and Paul Levitz.
    Agreed, especially Barry Allen's original origin and life story.

Additionally, the Earth-S version of the Marvel Family.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    A lot of the Valor series. Lar Gand's father sacrificed himself for Earth during the Invasion event and young Lar leaves Daxam to understand why. He joins L.E.G.I.O.N. for a while and latter takes the name Valor and becomes a costumed hero. During his time as a hero he found massive prisons of humans captured by the Dominators to experiment on. Valor freed the prisoners but because they had already been changed by the Dominators instead of going back to Earth these humans settled in colony worlds along the Khund border. These planets over the next 1000 years would go on to become members of the United Planets, and the homeworlds of many members of the Legion itself. Valor is seen almost as a religious figure by these worlds in the time of the Legion of Superheroes. Lar ends up in the phantom zone due to lead poisoning and when he is freed in the 31st century he takes the name Mon-El to avoid any religious hysteria.

This origin is just so much better than Mon-El original origin where he is just an amnesiac who Superman thinks is his brother and ends up having to put into the phantom zone.
    I wasn't even aware they had changed Valor's backstory! I always thought that was really well handled - why screw with it???
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I wish SO much that Barry's backstory was NEVER screwed with.
    I hate the murdered mum, wrongly imprisoned dad thing.

Barry Allen became a hero because he felt it was the right thing to do. He never needed a trauma to push him towards heroism.
    I'm of the opinion that it diminishes the character.
    While talking Flash, let's just get back to the Speed Force being an unknown thing that gives speedsters their powers. Having it being somehow generated by Barry Allen is not only f**king stupid, but a SERIOUS insult to Wally fans.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

For me I wish all of the pre-52 BatFam stuff was cannon; from the 4 Robins to 3 Batgirls, and 2 Batmans.

The greatest folly of the New 52 was removing Batman of Gotham and Batman International. I mean imagine having two Batman books one with Dick and the other with Bruce; it needed more time to be fully fleshed out.

PS:Is the New 52 Justice League still cannon?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I doubt even the editors know. Snyder seemed to hint that Pre-52 history was in play and he thankfully ignored most New 52 elements like Martian Manhunter's portrayal.
    But I don't think they really settled on what the team's origin is supposed to be. We're probably due for yet another retelling.

Extraordinary Member

Matrix/Linda being the first Supergirl. For one that series was so much better than all Supergirl content that came after. Second I think the name Supergirl means more when it had to be earned and comes with its own legacy rather than just being given because of family relations. Third, she had a great supporting cast which is increasingly rare these days in my opinion. Now that Didio is gone I'd love to see them finally bring her back, but there doesn't seem to be the kind of outcry there was for Stephanie Brown or Cassandra Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Matrix/Linda being the first Supergirl. For one that series was so much better than all Supergirl content that came after. Second I think the name Supergirl means more when it had to be earned and comes with its own legacy rather than just being given because of family relations. Third, she had a great supporting cast which is increasingly rare these days in my opinion. Now that Didio is gone I'd love to see them finally bring her back, but there doesn't seem to be the kind of outcry there was for Stephanie Brown or Cassandra Cain.
    I enjoyed that book WAY more than I should have! Bonding Matrix with Linda was ingenious.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    For me I wish all of the pre-52 BatFam stuff was cannon; from the 4 Robins to 3 Batgirls, and 2 Batmans.

The greatest folly of the New 52 was removing Batman of Gotham and Batman International. I mean imagine having two Batman books one with Dick and the other with Bruce; it needed more time to be fully fleshed out.

Last time I hear them fighting Darkseid with Cyborg happened 5 years ago but it's no longer the origin, merely the beginning of Cyborg's inclusion to the League.

Since the new timeline includes Final Crisis, no mention of Titans generation becoming Justice League, and I don't even remember if Cyborg's inclusion is mentioned, I think it's mostly non-canon.

No news on how exactly the origin happened, but in the new timeline the first members include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Hal, Barry, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow and Black Canary

My answer would be a lot of the next-gen kids. Lian Harper, Damian's friends Colin Wilkes and Duren Darga, and non-evil Chris Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Last time I hear them fighting Darkseid with Cyborg happened 5 years ago but it's no longer the origin, merely the beginning of Cyborg's inclusion to the League.
    Also, it originally doubled as Cyborg's origin, but the restoration of his Teen Titans past means he was probably now getting an upgrade instead (he didn't have a Mother Box inside him until New 52).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I wish SO much that Barry's backstory was NEVER screwed with.
    I hate the murdered mum, wrongly imprisoned dad thing.

Barry Allen became a hero because he felt it was the right thing to do. He never needed a trauma to push him towards heroism.
    I'm of the opinion that it diminishes the character.
    While talking Flash, let's just get back to the Speed Force being an unknown thing that gives speedsters their powers. Having it being somehow generated by Barry Allen is not only f**king stupid, but a SERIOUS insult to Wally fans.
    I always wondered what Waid thought about it. I kind of felt it was like Johns was klepping someone else's truly original idea and giving it to his fave just because it's his fave.

I think it's kinda funny how many people think think things like this are insults to Wally fans, but don't think the same the many times Wally was made superior to and more important than Barry were insults to Barry fans. And think the notion of the Bart replacing Wally offensive to the world, but not the same of Wally replacing Barry. When people admit "it's okay if it's a character I like getting the props" at least it's honest. It's when it's treated as some objective truth that it's somehow wrong to besmirch their particular fave while fine to do it to others (think people who thought the character assassinations of Jean Loring or Hal were fine in service of a story, but not of Wally), it gets real irritating real fast.

And I don't like the Speed Force even existing, for the record. Just like Barry creating it makes no sense, it existing doesn't make sense with earlier stories.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 04-28-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I think it's kinda funny how many people think think things like this are insults to Wally fans, but don't think the same the many times Wally was made superior to and more important than Barry were insults to Barry fans. And think the notion of the Bart replacing Wally offensive to the world, but not the same of Wally replacing Barry. When people admit "it's okay if it's a character I like getting the props" at least it's honest. It's when it's treated as some objective truth that it's somehow wrong to besmirch their particular fave while fine to do it to others (think people who thought the character assassinations of Jean Loring or Hal were fine in service of a story, but not of Wally), it gets real irritating real fast.

And I don't like the Speed Force even existing, for the record. Just like Barry creating it makes no sense, it existing doesn't make sense with earlier stories.
    I don't agree with ANY character being besmirched, and while I agree with you in the case of Jean Loring, I thought the Hal going bonkers bit COULD have worked if it was given the time it deserved. Unfortunately, TPTB wanted the shakeup done and dusted for #50 putting the rush on everything.

For the record, I don't believe Barry was ever besmirched or suffered from character assassination - especially by Waid. Yes eventually they wrote that Wally had 'surpassed' his uncle speed-wise, but Barry was ALWAYS treated as the ideal to live up to. I have no memory of ever reading a story where Barry Allen was torn down to build Wally West up.
    And the Speed Force was fine as it was introduced, but has been done to death. The last decade in particular has been really bad. I wouldn't mind if it was never mentioned again.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I doubt even the editors know. Snyder seemed to hint that Pre-52 history was in play and he thankfully ignored most New 52 elements like Martian Manhunter's portrayal.
    But I don't think they really settled on what the team's origin is supposed to be. We're probably due for yet another retelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Since the new timeline includes Final Crisis, no mention of Titans generation becoming Justice League, and I don't even remember if Cyborg's inclusion is mentioned, I think it's mostly non-canon.

No news on how exactly the origin happened, but in the new timeline the first members include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Hal, Barry, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow and Black Canary

My answer would be a lot of the next-gen kids. Lian Harper, Damian's friends Colin Wilkes and Duren Darga, and non-evil Chris Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Also, it originally doubled as Cyborg's origin, but the restoration of his Teen Titans past means he was probably now getting an upgrade instead (he didn't have a Mother Box inside him until New 52).
    Ahh; I really enjoyed the New 52 Justice League as a Elseworld title. Basically Johns took what was good about Morrison's JLA and turned it up to 11.

If New 52 JL has been retconned the only thing I wish they keep from it is that it was Darkseid that brought them together.

I think a big bad like him makes sense for these disparate heroes to come together.

But if it is retconned I wish they completely excise Cyborg from the League; this is my old man line in the sand - Cyborg is and will forever be a Teen Titan member