Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

The Superman titles "Panic in the Sky" arc was one of my favorites. That could easily have been a DC-wide Event, but it's probably better they kept control in one creative team's hands.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Matrix/Linda being the first Supergirl. For one that series was so much better than all Supergirl content that came after. Second I think the name Supergirl means more when it had to be earned and comes with its own legacy rather than just being given because of family relations. Third, she had a great *******ing cast which is increasingly rare these days in my opinion. Now that Didio is gone I'd love to see them finally bring her back, but there doesn't seem to be the kind of outcry there was for Stephanie Brown or Cassandra Cain.
    I think because, unlike Cass and Steph in their relation to Barbara, David's Linda kind of relies on weird editorial edicts keeping Kara Zor-El out of existence to work exactly as she used to, none of which are in place anymore. Linda Danvers was Kara's pre-COIE ID, so post-COIE Linda was essentially Kryptonian Kara re-contextualized as a human with another source of powers. She had the Danvers' as parents, Dick Malverne as a love interest, a character going by the name of Comet, etc. She wasn't a legacy of Kara the way the Batgirls are, so it's hard to rework her into continuity since she's so weird to begin with and Kara is easier to use.

But I don't think it's impossible. She doesn't have to be a Supergirl, but she could be re-worked as a supernatural themed heroine who is related to the Super mythos by being Kara's cousin through adoption or something.

Barry died a hero, saving the multiverse and was an ideal all heroes looked up to.

Wally meanwhile has been treated like something DC stepped in.

Kyle Rayner as the Green Lantern.
    Cassandra Cain as Batgirl.
    Tim Drake as Robin.
    Hal Jordan as the Spectre.
    Peter David's runs on Supergirl, Aquaman, and Young Justice

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Tim Drake as Robin.[/i]
    Tim's time as Robin is in continuity again....I think. Did they ever drop that "He was Red Robin from the start" bullshit?

Justice Society by Geoff Johns and David S. Goyer.

Birds of Prey by Dixon and Simone.

Most of the Bat Family pre Nu 52. Tim Drake's time as Robin. Cass as Batgirl.

Zatanna ongoing by Paul Dini. I would like to see Zachary make a comeback.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

You know what? At this point, sign me up for just bringing back the pre-Crisis universe. It can't be any more convoluted than what we have now. Or any less stable. All the attempts to "improve" the characters failed IMO. I re-read Donna's pre-Crisis origin last night and you know what? It works fine. Put me in the category that thinks that COIE was a mistake in the long run. I get why they did it. And there is very much the argument that DC wouldn't exist today if they hadn't. But look at the mess it's created and tell me with a straight face the 1) this is what anyone wanted and 2) that anyone even knows what DC's history is at this point. This is a mess and it's not getting better.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Tim's time as Robin is in continuity again....I think. Did they ever drop that "He was Red Robin from the start" bullshit?
    Yes. He was reverted to his original origin story in Rebirth.

Tim Drake as Robin.
    Green Lantern never rebooted, so Kyle's time as the only GL was never retconned.

Robin is back in continuity, and I think so is most of Young Justice (except the issues involving Supergirl and Captain Marvel Junior). And is that Aquaman run from the same period? When he had the hook hand? Around the same time as Morrison JLA? Because if so, that's canon too, since Morrison's JLA was shown in the latest issue of Legion of Super Heroes.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-29-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Tim Drake as Robin.
    All of these are back in contiuity except for Supergirl, Cass as Batgirl and maybe Hal as the Spectre.

The rest are all back in continuity.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm confused by a lot of stories people are mentioning in this thread, because a lot of them are either part of the current Earth-0 continuity or still exist as part of the larger Mulitverse.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Particularly the first half of Batman's origin, Zero Year. Not to diminish Year One, but there's no reason for it to remain in continuity 30+ years later.
    I can think of one: the fact that Year One is just the superior origin story. No offense to Snyder, but Year One is just a much more fitting origin for Batman than Zero Year. It's simple and elegant as well as gritty, realistic, and down-to-earth, which is more in line with how Batman started out: as a gritty pulp hero. Zero Year, on the other hand, is more what I'd expect of a Flash origin story where the character is more firmly rooted in sci-fi and relies too much on blockbuster-style action. It also just...tries too hard to be a "modern upgrade" that it loses a lot of that beautiful simplicity that Year One has. For example, Snyder writing it so that the "cave" is projected around Bruce in his father's study by a holographic orb during that scene with the bat is just so...unnecessary. The bat flying in through the window is classic and timeless and works for any audience without all of that window-dressing. Just let it be simple. Don't overcomplicate things.

Not to mention that Zero Year is also incredibly decompressed.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-30-2020 at 12:48 AM.

Mighty Member

TT with Bart,Conner,Cassie and Tim....

Wally as Flash...Barts history with Jay,Max etc.

Especially for Conner its necessary to have this time back with IC, his death etc.
    The Cult of Conner, Cassie and Conners relationship.

I think this is the biggest problem in DC now, that established characters with long history are now like new characters...

Especially in Conners Case its now strange, because now with Kenan and Jon are 2 "successors" and without his history its strange.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I think it's kinda funny how many people think think things like this are insults to Wally fans, but don't think the same the many times Wally was made superior to and more important than Barry were insults to Barry fans. And think the notion of the Bart replacing Wally offensive to the world, but not the same of Wally replacing Barry. When people admit "it's okay if it's a character I like getting the props" at least it's honest. It's when it's treated as some objective truth that it's somehow wrong to besmirch their particular fave while fine to do it to others (think people who thought the character assassinations of Jean Loring or Hal were fine in service of a story, but not of Wally), it gets real irritating real fast.

And I don't like the Speed Force even existing, for the record. Just like Barry creating it makes no sense, it existing doesn't make sense with earlier stories.
    I think you cant compare the Wally/Barry situation with the Wally/Barry situation now.
    Wally being superior to Barry was actually a good decision, not because of character or so, BUT I always find it annoying showing the superiority and perfectness of the JL, so it was good that a former Sidekick, a Titan showed that they are comparable/better to them.

I dont have problems with the sucessors being better as the previous ones...
    I also liked that Bart was faster than Wally and if Iris would have grew up I would also have liked that she became more powerful/faster than Bart.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I think it's kinda funny how many people think think things like this are insults to Wally fans, but don't think the same the many times Wally was made superior to and more important than Barry were insults to Barry fans. And think the notion of the Bart replacing Wally offensive to the world, but not the same of Wally replacing Barry. When people admit "it's okay if it's a character I like getting the props" at least it's honest. It's when it's treated as some objective truth that it's somehow wrong to besmirch their particular fave while fine to do it to others (think people who thought the character assassinations of Jean Loring or Hal were fine in service of a story, but not of Wally), it gets real irritating real fast.

And I don't like the Speed Force even existing, for the record. Just like Barry creating it makes no sense, it existing doesn't make sense with earlier stories.

I agree with this too. It's really the double edged sword of 'Legacy'. Really why I hate the Legacy concept in comics. I too remember the hysterics when Flash III was replaced by Flash IV and it was considered a personal insult worthy of pistols at dawn. I can see both sides since I had already gone through it with Hal and Kyle and had my guy replaced on a whim... but yeah, Wally's whole deal was about taking over the mantle from someone else so the idea of him passing it on to the next generation shouldn't have been THAT much of an insult.

I also agree with the speed force. I hated that concept from the moment it was conceived and still can't stand what they've done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yes. He was reverted to his original origin story in Rebirth.

Green Lantern never rebooted, so Kyle's time as the only GL was never retconned.
    I'm not sure that's true.

I remember in one of John's TPB they had scenes of a rookie Kyle in his basic Hal costume, 'before he earned his badge' with that stupid white circle, sitting around a precinct house with Kilowog and a bunch of other GLs... There was no 'official' reboot, but the timeline changed something FIERCE...

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    I think you cant compare the Wally/Barry situation with the Wally/Barry situation now.
    Wally being superior to Barry was actually a good decision, not because of character or so, BUT I always find it annoying showing the superiority and perfectness of the JL, so it was good that a former Sidekick, a Titan showed that they are comparable/better to them.
    I think loses something when Wally then joins the JL and pretty much leaves the Titans behind. He may show up once in a while for a reboot... but he was core JL for over a decade. So it still says 'Titans are second stringers and JL are the majors.'

One of my big issues with Wally being 'so much better' was that they did it by erasing Barry's history. They made such a big deal every time that Wally travled through time or dimensions and pushed the idea that Barry needed the treadmill to do it (Which he didn't). They pushed the idea that Wally was the first to break lightspeed and come back.... which isn't true, Barry did it all the time. They toned down the silver age silliness and then brought it back like it was brand new achievements. Just... irked me.

What I wish was still in continuity?!?

In my mind it is the one true origin of Batman. I really didn't care for Year One at all. It had a few moments, but I didnt' like his motivations, I didn't like his Gordon and despised Miller wiping out Batgirl.

Wonder Woman's clay origin... I'm not sure if it's currently retconned or not. It seems every writer starts from scratch.

Clark Kent Superboy.

90's JSA series. Loved that book!