Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    This is a flagrant lie. Batman does not "get as good as he gives" by any stretch of the imagination. Not in exposure, treatment, or literally any metric you could possibly describe. The crushing majority of the time Batman gets the best of everyone. When it's the reverse it's a rare occasion and usually shortlived.

For instance, let me put it this way. What Batman has been doing to everyone for years is what Harley Quinn did to Batman (and Superman and Wonder Woman) in Heroes in Crisis. And boy howdy did every Batman fan get annoyed at how stupid and awful that scene was. How dare a super popular character make Batman look like a fool and beat him when it made no sense! This may not have been you, but it was certainly a big deal when it happened, spearheaded by Batman fans.

Ostensibly, Batman appears in the most comics because his popularity will garner attention and sales. If the end point, bottom line, pure capitalistic motive is the case then there's a lot of dissonance in simultaneously having Batman make other characters look intentionally less appealing, because that hurts that other brand's chance at succeeding without Batman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    WTF would any version of WW give two pootz that Bats became a New God?
    Batman the Merciless version

also didn't Batman Odyssey take down Wonder Woman pretty easily

The J-man

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Batman's answers are really "i threw a rock at him".It was a big one..He's an idiot.The only reason he is "the strategist" is because others in his crew are portrayed as dumber than usually dumb people.
    " Look at me ...i am a flying brick..Here i go tripping over rocks and getting burned by matchsticks".
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Actually about the Crime Syndicate, did that happen after Babel because that would explain why he didn’t use the same tactics on them.

Extraordinary Member

Batman sometimes finds it challenging to take down guys like The Penguin and the Ventriloquist for the same reasons Superman and The Flash finds it challenging to take on guys like the Prankster and Captain Boomerang - because the plot requires them to.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Anyway, back to the real reason I bumped this thread….guess I’ll start.

Something that has me puzzled is that for some regular humans his contingency plan would just be like “stab them”, but for somebody like Green Arrow he actually comes up with a real thing. Why do you think that is?

writing ....10char
    The J-man

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Batman the Merciless version

also didn't Batman Odyssey take down Wonder Woman pretty easily

Sexism and white male privilege did it again.

Apparently Batman has multiple plans against Wally, so I think saying he has no answer is kind of a stretch.

I always knew Batman fans were a bunch of weirdos but this thread really seals the deal. The fact that they're trying to justify wanking the bat is hilarious. Honestly, Batman shouldn't be able to take out 90% of characters within his universe. It's never written well at all anyway. Idk why his fans have this urge to see Batman one-up everyone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Apparently Batman has multiple plans against Wally, so I think saying he has no answer is kind of a stretch.
    The plans tend to be kind of dumb. Speedsters don't have an explicit weakness so it always relies on them just being stupid and falling into Batman's trap. Which is usually how they get in trouble in their own comics so whatevs. For instance, the Tower of Babel plan made absolutely no sense and it was even written by Waid, who basically created all of Wally's powers.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I always knew Batman fans were a bunch of weirdos but this thread really seals the deal. The fact that they're trying to justify wanking the bat is hilarious. Honestly, Batman shouldn't be able to take out 90% of characters within his universe. It's never written well at all anyway. Idk why his fans have this urge to see Batman one-up everyone.
    People say they love Batman for his flaws, but that’s a lie lol. They love him because he punches way above his weight.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    People say they love Batman for his flaws, but that’s a lie lol. They love him because he punches way above his weight.
    Well, I don't see many people who are a fan of him being a raging, sociopathic, control freak who "abuses" his family and friends and seems to care more about the villains he fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    The plans tend to be kind of dumb.
    No.
    It's dependent upon the character of the individual, not the powers. The contingency plans aren't just about who can do what and how to prevent them from being able to do that, but what would mess them up psychologically.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not the most sweeping statement about Batman fans in this thread…but a typical example.

DC have employed a ton of top notch artists and writers on Batman over 70 years, and they have written a wealth of Batman stories in a vast range of styles with Batman displaying a range of very different personalities.

Of course…there’s been a load of dud stories over the years, and plenty of examples of Batman punching way above his weight. But also..a wealth of good material (personally I think more good material than any other DC character)…often featuring Batman as a very different guy to the Batman featured in modern JLA stories.

The Batman featured in the Haney/Aparo Brave and Bold run for example is a pleasant affable guy, determined and resourceful…who knows when he’s “outgunned” and is willing to call on his friends for help, and treats them as equal partners. The Archie Goodwin Batman is different again, but still essentially a decent guy….who takes on opponents in his own “weight class”.

Basically people are Batman fans for a ton of different reasons!
    Last edited by JackDaw; 08-04-2021 at 10:13 PM.