utschy

Default Trying to find comic from 1978,79 or 1980 Space Opera type

Hi there,
    I am 47 years old. When i was about 6 or 7 years old I was in Florida and I bought a comic book that, at least from my memory, was larger than your typical Marvel or DC sized comic. I could not read at the time. I recall the comic looked more like a magazine, in terms of its dimensions but maybe it was smaller. I remember being mesmerized by the artwork that depicted beautiful planets as well as space ships and images of people in the ships. These comics had a few panels that contained some nudity (maybe two panels with that) which of course mesmerized my 6 year old brain. Periodically, I have been thinking of this comic and have no way to find it. Now I am curious if it was any good, was it a stand alone graphic story or part of a multipart series. I have tried to search the web to find it and the artwork from Valerian and Laureline seems kind of primitive compared to what I remember. This comic seemed to have a large space community that could be in keeping with somethign like Valerian. I am not really sure. Any help or ideas are much appreciated. Also, if I posted this in the wrong forum I apologize. Please inform where this would fit better.

Thank you

Could it have been one of the Warren Presents sci-fi issues?

these were magazine sized, contained reprints from various Warren mags (including some nudity) and were released between '79 and '81.

They also had feature articles interspersed with the comics on sci-fi movies, tv etc.

The other possibility is it could be an issue of Heavy Metal or an album/special put out by Heavy Metal during that time period.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

There's also stuff like NMP's comic magazines, one was fantasy but the other more sci-fi, called Adventure Illustrated...

but these were a little later circa '81 and only lasted one issue each, but again were magazine size with some nudity in the stories.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Warren also had a sci-fi magazine called 1984 (later 1994) that ran from '78-83 that could fit the bill...

-M

What about Mavrel's Epic Illustrated? It did feature some sci-fi stories that had some nudity in it and they started publishing it around 1980.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 05-02-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Could it have been Marvel Super Special #10 featuring Star-Lord, from 1979?
    Last edited by Englehart Humperdinck; 05-25-2020 at 06:06 AM.