Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Congrats to Ajax_X!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Yay for Ajax_X!

Congrats to Ajax_X. And thanks to nx01a for the vote.

Congratulations on winning Ajax_X

Thanks for the votes MRP & Nschornhorst
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Congrats Ajax_X! for the horrifying Zombie Morg, ..."click!"

Yay, Ajax_X!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Congrats to Ajax, that is a harrowing cover!

I didn't want to saying anything adverse about a cover while the contest was on, but feel compelled to now say that Star Wars cover with Luke in carbonite was among the worst piece of art I have ever seen on a cover. Let alone a major publisher. I looked up the artist, and he does not do bad work, but everything about that cover, from the cramped composition to the awful rendering is just awful. No offense to siesmic, and he actually got a vote. But I can't understand how an editor let this through. Just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-06-2020 at 08:42 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

congrats Ajax!

Thanks so much !
    I always look forward to these contests, I have a new one in mind but won't get to it 'til i get home tonight.

(hoping for any follow up on the story Riv !)

The cover that 6 year old me still thinks is super creepy

Congratulations to Ajax_X for a marvelous cover which sparks both fear and the Rorschach line, "I'm not trapped in here with you; you're trapped in here with me." Although in this case, fear is probably the more relevant result.

And now, what has the captain learned in this contest's PEAK OF THE WEEK. Our situation is one that is unseen in our lifetimes and one we have little reference to dealing with. So, we draw close analogies from the comics we love so dearly. To quote a common action story kine, "this time it's personal". These times are tough, but this outlet allows some escape from whatever space we're trapped in.

And thanks to Iron Maiden for her vote. I'd apologize, but dammit, this is the CBR weekly cover contest. Anything goes.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Congratulations to Ajax_X for a marvelous cover which sparks both fear and the Rorschach line, "I'm not trapped in here with you; you're trapped in here with me." Although in this case, fear is probably the more relevant result.

And now, what has the captain learned in this contest's PEAK OF THE WEEK. Our situation is one that is unseen in our lifetimes and one we have little reference to dealing with. So, we draw close analogies from the comics we love so dearly. To quote a common action story kine, "this time it's personal". These times are tough, but this outlet allows some escape from whatever space we're trapped in.

And thanks to Iron Maiden for her vote. I'd apologize, but dammit, this is the CBR weekly cover contest. Anything goes.

No worries. I should have thought of that cover sooner but sometimes I don't get around to looking for a cover until the weekend.

As for the winner, it reminded me of something that happened to me years ago when I was a lowly lab records clerk at one of the local hospitals. This was in the pre-information technology days so record-keeping was still on papers that became part of the patient's chart. You've seen them I'm sure. Metal flip over charts that the test results, physicians notes etc would be placed inside of. The laboratory was run by the pathololgists, who would do biopsies, etc. They also did the autopsies. So one weekend when I was working, a patient has expired and an autopy was ordered. When that happens it was the lab records clerk's task to go the the nursing unit and obtain the patient's chart and take it to the pathologist's office. The nurse at the nursing station couldn't find it. One of the other nurses then remembered that she placed it on the gurney while they preparing to take the patient down to the morgue. So I had to get the key to the morgue and find the chart. BTW, one of our other jobs in the weekend was to check the temperature reading of the morgue but fortunately the thermostat was outside the door. I never liked going down there because the center of the room was taken up by the autopsy table, which was a quit large pedestal style. So anyway, I go down to the morgue and only one of the gurneys was occupied. But I still don't see the chart. Then I notice something sticking out from under the cover and it is the chart. For some reason either they placed the chart on the gurney and then put the patient on top of it or they just slid the chart underneath. Not standard procedure AFAIK. So I went closer and then stood as far away from the gurney as a I could to reach the chart. Luckily it slid out pretty easy and I scooted out of there as fast as I could. And no ghouls arose to chase me out like in the winning cover

Congratulations the win, Ajax_X!

And thanks for the vote!

(Fighting to keep the cat off the keyboard, as I type this)
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax_X View Post
    Thanks so much !
    I always look forward to these contests, I have a new one in mind but won't get to it 'til i get home tonight.

(hoping for any follow up on the story Riv !)
    I grew up in NYC, and had a pretty misspent youth.
    Me and two of my three bff’s were looking to smoke some weed one day, and wound up at the old abandoned East River Park Amphitheater. This is what it looked like in the eighties...:

We were screwing around inside, pretty stoned, and stumbled onto a hole down into the lower part of the structure (not sure if it was technically a basement). FIRST BLOOD had come out that summer, so we got the bright idea to make our own torches out of the crap all up in the place, lit them and climbed in.
    It was pretty spooky w. the mood lighting, but we were fine, at least until we found the skeletonized remains of a kid that must’ve been younger than us (we were 14). I still vividly remember it had a Christmas themed red & green stocking cap in its jaws.
    Being the incredibly dumb kids we were, once we were done freaking out/convincing each other we hadn’t freaked out, instead of leaving and calling the police, we decided to keep it a secret.
    After that we went back a few times, to get stoned and sort of, I dunno, include the kid who we felt must have been lonely.
    This one time though, it was the weekend and two of us were spending the night at the third’s place, we went and dropped a **** ton of acid and went out to enjoy the night, then the park and the river, then the amphitheater.
    We did our usual torch deal and found the kid. Well, we were tripping pretty hard. How hard? Hard enough that I didn’t notice my friends had hung back as we made our way, and hard enough they thought it’d be funny if they climbed back out the hole and blocked me in so I couldn’t get out.
    So, I wound up trapped overnight, eventually having to burn my shirt to keep my torch going, w. a corpse. A corpse my acid feuled mind was convinced was moving whenever I looked away, and whispering to me whenever I started to nod off. I panicked and broke off a few fingernails trying to claw my ass out of there. Rough frikkin’ night.
    My friends showed up and let me out the next morning.
    I didn’t talk to them again for about a month.

Incredible Member

Congrats to Ajax_X and thanks to MRP for doing the tally!
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org