Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Tom King's MISTER MIRACLE

As Tiffany states in a comment below the video," It's a lot of book... with a lot of meaning (potential, interpreted, or perceived), and we only, really, scratched the surface here! I highly recommend you read this book yourself! Big shout out to the guys for keeping it fun, while also having a great conversation! Hope you dig the episode all!😀

For those new to the ComicPOP! channel the idea is that Tiffany-or ,usually,her husband Sal,who is behind the camera this time-discuss a book with their friends Ben and Ethan who do not regularly read comic books but do know some characters from cartoons,movies,etc. and try to have have fun!

Although,this story is kind of serious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_O9g0OY_8M

One of the best book I had read in years!

Wow. Two hours on that series but still pretty tight and not stretched out. There were deatils mentioned I do want to go back and peruse, but

wasn't mentioned.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Hmm. Another ComicPOP! video. Do you work for them or something?

Great topic though. Mister Miracle was another triumph for King, after his equally brilliant 12-issue Omega Men series. It's pretty obvious that King enjoys highlighting personal trauma and it's after-effects in his work and I'm hoping that he doesn't become defined by that. His next 'stand alone' series is obviously Strange Adventures and I hope it heads down a fresh path thematically. Mister Miracle was superb though. Stellar writing and art from Mitch Gerads. Absorbing stuff.

Oh, and shut the f--k up Lightray!
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Incredible Member

Here's a few more minutes of them discussing the series. Need to get this and King's VISION in tpb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yVcxaRoN-M

Incredible Member

[QUOTE=WillieMorgan;4951701]Hmm. Another ComicPOP! video. Do you work for them or something?]

Nah,they couldn't afford me. lol

Found the channel a few years ago and have enjoyed a lot of their videos. Also,with so many folks staying inside right now thought some might want to binge watch or listen to something fun. Shared a playlist somewhere else. It's easily found.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    As Tiffany states in a comment below the video," It's a lot of book... with a lot of meaning (potential, interpreted, or perceived), and we only, really, scratched the surface here! I highly recommend you read this book yourself! Big shout out to the guys for keeping it fun, while also having a great conversation! Hope you dig the episode all!��

For those new to the ComicPOP! channel the idea is that Tiffany-or ,usually,her husband Sal,who is behind the camera this time-discuss a book with their friends Ben and Ethan who do not regularly read comic books but do know some characters from cartoons,movies,etc. and try to have have fun!

Although,this story is kind of serious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_O9g0OY_8M
    So honestly, I've been reading the trade. I'm on issue 4, and it is so incredibly boring to me. If I had been buying issues I'd have dropped it. My question, should I maybe watch the video to now or wait until I'm done.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    So honestly, I've been reading the trade. I'm on issue 4, and it is so incredibly boring to me. If I had been buying issues I'd have dropped it. My question, should I maybe watch the video to now or wait until I'm done.
    The video does identify points of interest and is useful for that. The story, however, is subtle, and the aspects of it which people rave about are meta-commentary and the juxtaposition of empire war and homemaking issues. A lot of it seeing how the New Genesis/Apololips way of life conflicts with the American dream and also where the aspects of our life have seeped into the Fourth World characters.

I loved the book, but if you don't, I understand. If you decide to read on with the video, keep from jumping ahead as the talk pretty much goes along with the pages of the trade.

......there's some great twists that come along which might pull you in, but I think if you're not enjoying it at this point, you're probably not going to have your mind changed.

And hey, not every story is for everyone. And this book is a real big departure from the usual New Gods style. I loved the mini myself, easily one of the best books of its year, but even the most well crafted story isn't going to do it for everybody.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    ......there's some great twists that come along which might pull you in, but I think if you're not enjoying it at this point, you're probably not going to have your mind changed.

And hey, not every story is for everyone. And this book is a real big departure from the usual New Gods style. I loved the mini myself, easily one of the best books of its year, but even the most well crafted story isn't going to do it for everybody.
    Very true. One thing I found annoying was all of the DARKSEID IS panels. But the video made it seem interesting despite that minor quibble.

Oh, there's a reason for all the DARKSEID IS stuff. Every tiny detail in that book is intentional. But I doubt the last 8 issues will do anything for you when the first 4 didn't.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The video does identify points of interest and is useful for that. The story, however, is subtle, and the aspects of it which people rave about are meta-commentary and the juxtaposition of empire war and homemaking issues. A lot of it seeing how the New Genesis/Apololips way of life conflicts with the American dream and also where the aspects of our life have seeped into the Fourth World characters.

I loved the book, but if you don't, I understand. If you decide to read on with the video, keep from jumping ahead as the talk pretty much goes along with the pages of the trade.
    I wish I had read this review of the book, because then yes, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. I am further now, a few issues have won me over for being interesting.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Hmm. Another ComicPOP! video. Do you work for them or something?

Great topic though. Mister Miracle was another triumph for King, after his equally brilliant 12-issue Omega Men series. It's pretty obvious that King enjoys highlighting personal trauma and it's after-effects in his work and I'm hoping that he doesn't become defined by that. His next 'stand alone' series is obviously Strange Adventures and I hope it heads down a fresh path thematically. Mister Miracle was superb though. Stellar writing and art from Mitch Gerads. Absorbing stuff.

Oh, and shut the f--k up Lightray!
    Too late for that, I think. Based on his work on BATMAN and HEROES IN CRISIS, as well as comments King has made himself about his own writing, Tom King has repeatedly insisted that he can not and/or will not write anything that isn't grounded in his own personal experience. And so far, the only two themes I've seen him talk about based on his own life experience are mental trauma, and being in love with his wife. And while it may have brought him some initial success, valid criticisms have been raised about his history of ignoring various character's established histories, personalities, and character traits in order to force them into the stories he wants to tell. It's this lack of imagination that leads me to believe he's going to completely **** up Adam Strange in STRANGE ADVENTURES, as well as his admission that he will stop doing research about a topic if the research doesn't lead up to/support the ending he already had in mind.

I read it half way through. Stopped. Couldn't handle it.

Read other books. Came back to it. Reread the whole thing. Liked it quite a bit more.

Some time later reread it all again and now genuinely like it.

Its very different and I realized that's really good. Variety is good and while I would never want all my comics like MM... it's a great read and has a impactful ending.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Maybe I should give it a second try. Read it and read Female Furies and thought WTF DC?