View Poll Results: Which DC Property Would You Like To See As A Period Piece?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman

7 17.07%
  • Batman

5 12.20%
  • Flash

2 4.88%
  • Green Lantern

2 4.88%
  • Green Arrow

0 0%
  • The Question.

3 7.32%
  • Doom Patrol

4 9.76%
  • Other.

18 43.90%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What DC Property Besides Wonder Woman Would Suit A Period Piece Film?

What DC character besides Wonder Woman do you think can work best as a period piece film?

I think a 60’s set Doom Patrol movie would be pretty groovy to see.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-30-2020 at 07:38 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Spectacular Member

I always thought it would be fun to see Batman done as a period piece. Set back in 1939 without all the technology he has today. True, street-level crime noir drama.

I'd love to see a big Superman movie set against the backdrop of WWII - pretty much the Fleischer cartoons come to life.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Batman and Superman. Well, everyone created before the 80s really.

Actually, not even the 80s because 90s Tim Drake is very 90s it's hard for me to imagine him as a 13-14-year-old in another era. The Tim I see now is a more grown-up Tim that already styles himself following the 2000s era.

Though personally I really miss the image of Newsie Dick Grayson that was his first disguise in the Golden Age

Mighty Member

I’d like to see a Black Lightning film set in 70s.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

A Green Lantern movie set back during the height of the Space Race. Just model it on the Silver Age comics and you could have a far better movie than the one we finally got.

Set the film around 1959, for obvious reasons to Hal Jordan fans, and focus on the politics and technology of the period. Don't dwell too much on the mythology and overburden it. Have maybe Hector Hammond or another Silver Age villain as the antagonist. Give it a bit of an Art Deco feel and there you go.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Extraordinary Member

A whole lot of them.

50s Marilyn Monroe type Power Girl in Vegas or Los Angeles. 30s or 40s JSA. 50s JSA McCarthy thing. Sandman Mystery Theatre. The Spectre as a 30s or even dawn of the 20th century horror story. Yes, 60s Doom Patrol. Maybe a 50s Vixen set in Africa. 40s or 50s John Stewart facing a pre Civil Rights era America with all that implies. Dawn of the 20th century Jaime Reyes...with all that implies. 30s Swamp Thing. Starman in the 40s. Challengers of the Unknown in the 50s. 40s Losers. 1890s Aquaman/Captain Nemo. Many more.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    A Green Lantern movie set back during the height of the Space Race. Just model it on the Silver Age comics and you could have a far better movie than the one we finally got.

Set the film around 1959, for obvious reasons to Hal Jordan fans, and focus on the politics and technology of the period. Don't dwell too much on the mythology and overburden it. Have maybe Hector Hammond or another Silver Age villain as the antagonist. Give it a bit of an Art Deco feel and there you go.
    Sign me up for that! Actually....just looking at Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier gives a LOT of ideas.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    I’d like to see a Black Lightning film set in 70s.
    As would I. But they have to really go for it, make it like those films.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I think a 60’s set Doom Patrol movie would be pretty groovy to see.
    ^^^i voted “Other”, but yeah, your DP idea would be pretty great.

Raijin suggested a 70s Black Lightning and that’d be hella cool.
    Going w. the 70s, a Richard Dragon Kung fu flick might be neat.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Sign me up for that! Actually....just looking at Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier gives a LOT of ideas.
    Yeah, spot on! Using New Frontier as a kind of template or guideline would result in some great period pieces for sure. Good call.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

All-Star Western era:
    Shared U Weird Western - (pretty much putting together a Justice Riders magnificent seven of the old west
    Hex (rebooted), El Diablo, Saganowahna(SuperChief), Ohiyesa Smith, Barbary Ghost, Cinnamon & Nighthawk

Pulp/Noir/WWII era:
    If they ever do another Batman, a Pulp - noir - diesle-punk era Batman is prety much the only version of Batman that would interest me at this point.
    JSA full WWII Vandal Savage - Per Degaton - Injustice Society allies of Hitler, pursuit of spear od Destiny arc.
    GA Alan Scott Green Lantern (solo (no Corps) this is a magic/supernatural ring, Gothic, mystery, New Orleans type gaslight setting vs. Solomon Grundy and other supernatural elements.
    Golden Age Sandman (solo)
    All-Star Squadron (for characters not already in JSA
    Black Hawks (Spielberg wants to do this, let him have at, Pretty much Indiana Jones time period, invoking the Republic Movie serials

Atomic Age:
    New Frontier would be fantastic.
    Challengers of the unknown.

70's funk exploitation Martial Arts craze era:
    The Dragon, The Tiger and The Destoyer
    Richard Dragon, Bronze Tiger & Lady Shiva
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-30-2020 at 11:17 AM.

I'd have actually preferred it if the entire DCEU were period piece films with the eventual build up to Justice League being akin to Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier.

1. JSA
    2. Justice Society
    3. Justice Society of America
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

A Captain Atom movie set against an 80s Cold War backdrop would work.

It would really just need to follow the Cary Bates/Pat Broderick reboot.
    It started in the 60s and jumped forward 20 years.

Extraordinary Member

Actually, we already have period Superman and Batman movies. Superman itself it a nice 70s period piece, and Batman has a certain 80s feel to it IMO.