View Poll Results: Which DC Property Would You Like To See As A Period Piece?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman

7 17.07%
  • Batman

5 12.20%
  • Flash

2 4.88%
  • Green Lantern

2 4.88%
  • Green Arrow

0 0%
  • The Question.

3 7.32%
  • Doom Patrol

4 9.76%
  • Other.

18 43.90%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    1. JSA
    2. Justice Society
    3. Justice Society of America
    ABSOLUTELY!!! This Poll was a set up for the obvious.....!!
    ALL-STAR SQUADRON as WELL!!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'd like to see a Jay Garrick Flash period piece.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I'm not surprised Other is winning the poll. The obvious answer is Justice Society of America, set in World War II.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Um . . . one of the ones that's already a period piece.

Bat Lash (and a whole mess of other guys) set in the Old West. The Black Pirate set during the age of piracy. Viking Prince during the Middle Ages. Silent Knight, also set during the Middle Ages. The Golden Gladiator in Ancient Rome.

Anyway, the point is that DC has plenty of period-specific adventure heroes. And it might be interesting to work them into a movie superhero universe as a way of showing how far back the heroic tradition goes (though, I doubt Warner Brothers would want to spend money on such a thing).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I'm not surprised Other is winning the poll. The obvious answer is Justice Society of America, set in World War II.
    That's one of many obviously good ideas.

Is Spielberg still interested in Blackhawks? I'd heard he was going to direct, then that he wasn't. And I don't know if it died in development hell. But it's a good idea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I'd like to see a Jay Garrick Flash period piece.
    I'd love a "Flash of Two Worlds" movie where Barry travels to Earth 2, and its this retro-world which looks like its the 50's (or maybe, it actually is stuck in the 50's).

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Actually, we already have period Superman and Batman movies. Superman itself it a nice 70s period piece, and Batman has a certain 80s feel to it IMO.
    I'd say that the majority of Batman movies have a retro-futuristic quality (i.e. something like the movie BRAZIL), so it's hard to pin them down to one period. That's true for the Burton movies and the Bruce Timm animated series. And the TV show PENNYWORTH, while set in the 1960s, is still a mash-up of different eras from all over the timeline. BATMAN BEGINS certainly had that aspect, the following Nolan movies less so.

When you think about it, SMALLVILLE was ahead of its time--in that (at least in the early seasons) it was telling the story of a Superman yet to be, while being itself set in the present day.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Um . . . one of the ones that's already a period piece.

Bat Lash (and a whole mess of other guys) set in the Old West. The Black Pirate set during the age of piracy. Viking Prince during the Middle Ages. Silent Knight, also set during the Middle Ages. The Golden Gladiator in Ancient Rome.

Anyway, the point is that DC has plenty of period-specific adventure heroes. And it might be interesting to work them into a movie superhero universe as a way of showing how far back the heroic tradition goes (though, I doubt Warner Brothers would want to spend money on such a thing).
    While I'd like to see super-hero movies set in the past, my first priority is to see some of these other period properties get their due. They have to make that Blackhawk movie one of these days.

Some might lend themselves to lower budget projects. JOKER was a period movie, after all.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

I voted the Question as film noir. I'm thinking Chinatown tone, possibly filmed in black & white. Minimal CGI, mostly practical effects. Very much the hard-boiled detective. Some conspiracy theorist elements are fine as long as they are minimal and not terribly comedic. This would be the type of movie with minimal humor. What humor there is would be dark.

I think Batman is a period character. He's one character that I just don't feel has aged too well. Setting him in the 30-60's with a belt full of tools like flashlights and lockpicks and fingerprint dust and having him go full all detective is where he was meant to be. Modern Batman with mech suits and wifi and super armor with satellites controlling access to all the locks everywhere just.. makes him boring.

The more technological the world has gotten... the less interesting Batman has become. His skills have been taking a backseat to his tech since sometime in the late 90's.

Superman a la Superman Smashes the Klan.
    Batman Beyond set in the future (that counts as a time period right?)
    Etrigan in the Dark Ages.
    Legion of Superheroes set in the far future

I'd really enjoy seeing a WWII era Creature Commandos movie.

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

60s Doom Patrol could be an interesting movie. Or 70's Green Arrow.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The Justice Society of America as a film series set in the 30s and 40s. Not just one movie covering the entire war and jamming in a ton of characters. Stretch it out. Lots of Liberty Belle.

I voted Superman, also. If you want straight up classic Superman without any modern updates...it has to be in the past.

I'd like an 80s Green Arrow flick too, similar tone to DRIVE. Synthwave. Neon.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-01-2020 at 09:36 PM.

Break-dancing VIBE film set in the 80's.

Death film set in the 90's.

Demon film set during the plague

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'd have actually preferred it if the entire DCEU were period piece films with the eventual build up to Justice League being akin to Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier.
    Sounds good to me.

I think most of DC's core roster would work great as period films. Hell, a number of them, the ones that're seen by some segment of the population as out dated or old fashioned would probably work a lot better that way.

Oh, voted for Superman by the way. He and Batman are my first picks, but Batman gets a lot of good movies anyway so I wanna give this one to Kent.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.