Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    Impact-wise, yeah, Dio's not going to be happily shrugging off rounds. As stated before though, the fact they're blessed doesn't really matter to a JoJo vampire.
    Would you say about Dio's stand himself/itself?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Stands are only capable of being damaged by other stands, for some reason. I don't remember if that was ever explored so it might just be a no limit fallacy depending on the nature of the invulnerability. Stands effect non-stands all the time, so it isn't like they are intangible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    The difficult part would be actually hitting it.

Aside from the issue that Alucard, by default rules, cannot see the World, at the beginning of part 3, Star Platinum (a stand so similar to the World that it became a plot point in Eyes Over Heaven) was able to catch a bullet fired at point-blank range. Then you have the obvious obstacle of time-stopping, which Dio gleefully employs at every opportunity.

It would probably be best to focus on the hit box that is Dio.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Stands are only capable of being damaged by other stands, for some reason. I don't remember if that was ever explored so it might just be a no limit fallacy depending on the nature of the invulnerability. Stands effect non-stands all the time, so it isn't like they are intangible.
    There was one time in a tie-in novel, Purple Haze Feedback I think, where a guy got juiced up by his stand to the point that he could wtfpwn a girl's stand enough to cause damage to her.
    But I don't think it was canon and the dude was amped by a stand first anyway.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Stands and people are connected in that if one takes damage, so does the other. Dio getting limbs severed should effect his stand (didnt in the anime I think though I cant remember if he uses the world after his legs removed beyond simply shouting "ZA WARUDO")

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Stands and people are connected in that if one takes damage, so does the other. Dio getting limbs severed should effect his stand (didnt in the anime I think though I cant remember if he uses the world after his legs removed beyond simply shouting "ZA WARUDO")
    Yeah, but the question was about Alucard shooting the stand. And stands aren't supposed to be effected by non-stands for... Reasons. Probably just so they could stop using hamon in the stories.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I think that it would be fair to assume that Alucard could at least see Stands, considering all his soul-devouring/manipulation. I'm not sure that the Jackals are packing the firepower needed to really hurt something that takes hits from Star Platinum without exploding, though.

Also, I think that hurting the Stand can hurt the user, but I don't recall it ever happening the other way around. Like, The World seemed fine even after Jotaro shattered Dio's skull. Mmmmmaybe Jotaro destroying Dio's legs was why Star Platinum was able to destroy The World by punching into The World's kick.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I think that it would be fair to assume that Alucard could at least see Stands, considering all his soul-devouring/manipulation. I'm not sure that the Jackals are packing the firepower needed to really hurt something that takes hits from Star Platinum without exploding, though.

Also, I think that hurting the Stand can hurt the user, but I don't recall it ever happening the other way around. Like, The World seemed fine even after Jotaro shattered Dio's skull. Mmmmmaybe Jotaro destroying Dio's legs was why Star Platinum was able to destroy The World by punching into The World's kick.
    It happened when Giorno lost his arms fighting Notorious BIG. His stand lost it's arm when Giorno cut his physical arm off with glass.

Silver Chariot lost limbs as well

I just remembered that ghosts can kill Stands as well, as per Diamond is Unbreakable, though I think that might have involved dragging it into the afterlife rather than physically damaging it. Dunno if that will really help Alucard, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    How much pure impact did bullets fired by the Jackal s have, anyway, considering that it took awhile before Dio and The World started taking serious damage from Star Platinum's ridiculous strength?
    The Jackal weighs 16kg or 35.2 pounds, weight in a hand gun is meant to counter recoil, which means the Jackal must have MAMMOTH recoil which means the bullets are being fired with a ton of propellant which combined with them being 0.512 caliber means even if they were normal slugs they'd pack stopping power most large caliber rifles could only dream of. And they're not normal slug rounds, they're armor piercing explosive rounds. So yeah, loooooooot of impact.

edit: bit of real world frame of reference, a Smith and Wesson model 500 magnum in .50 cal is one of if not the most powerful commercially available handguns in the world(it's rounds produce just shy of three times the muzzle energy of a .44 magnum), and it weighs 4.5-5 lbs depending on barrel length.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 05-08-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Enya shot him with a stand arrow, not a gun. And the issue with Alucards guns isnt so much that their blessed etc its their stopping power. Cassul is .445 rounds, effectively supermagnum shots, also explosive tipped. Similarly jackal rounds are explosive tipped....and also 13mm arm and leg blowing off monsters. Anderson can shrug odf the first by regeneration the second tears his limbs off.
    Well, I think I wandered away from this for way too long.... sorry about that.

Quick correction, as pointed out by jetengine, Enya only shot him with an arrow. The scene I was remembering was from volume 16, first 2 dozen pages, where Dio tests out the time stop by having a henchman shoot him with a shotgun. After confirming time had stopped and he could move objects in it (and allowing time to resume), Enya then went nuts explaining to Dio that he should focus on extending his time stop ability until using it was natural and he could stop it for as long as he wanted to.

Stands are psychic emanations, a.k.a. Punch-Ghosts. The general rule, which The World seems to fall under, is that mundane things do not affect a Stand unless being used by another Stand. I cannot think of any cases where a holy symbol caused an effect on a Stand as well. As such, I do not think the blessed bullets would be able to interact with the World unless the World chooses to interact with them. There is also the problem that, as far as I can remember, the major reason to use blessed weaponry in Hellsing is to suppress regeneration by the target. I cannot think of any times they ran into a ghost, let alone shot one, so that is another strike against Alucard's guns hurting the World.

Note - hamon works fine with Stands. Its just of questionable use against humans when the Stand hits harder than a human would. That, and dumping sunlight-energy into a normal human's soul does not really do much in a fight. On the other hand, it works just fine against vampires. Dio even points it out, and specifies that he's making certain not to directly touch Joseph or Hermit Purple with his own body or the World until Dio manages to disrupt Joseph's breathing and Hamon. That was the reason for the knives.

This is not saying the guns are useless. As many have stated, the guns should easily be able to take a limb off of Dio, as well as blowing his head right off or putting a hole straight through Dio's chest. Enough hits like that should keep Dio down for the count - I don't think losing 1 limb would be enough, but 2-3 taken off (even if it is the same one multiple times) should let things like headshots occur more easily. The problem will be slipping the shots past the World. It has enough strength to casually stop a travelling 18-wheeler (India scene with Star Platinum), and speed, so I can see it deflecting incoming fire.

As for Alucard…. I have no problem assuming he can see Stands. He has enough soul-shenanigans going on that seeing someone's manifested battle spirit makes sense to me. Considering Alucard vs. the Dandyman and Seras vs. the Illusionist, I would be perfectly willing to allow Alucard to interact with Stands using his own body. I just think that Alucard trying to go hand-to-hand combat with Dio ends badly for Alucard due to the fact that Dio and the World outnumber Alucard. Either one has enough power to splatter Alucard, and if Alucard is blocking/deflecting one of them, the other can get a free shot in. This is where Alucard's tendency to rely on his regen is going to bite him in the ass.

Though it could work as a calculated risk - lose arm, get it tossed behind Dio, have arm pop up and shoot Dio in the back from a direction Dio thought was safe.

Since this is a arena fight, there should be no cover. In that case, Alucard should win encounters where he can maintain a healthy distance (unless Dio suddenly remembers the Space-Ripper-Stingy-Eyes), and probably not lose all the ones that come to hand-to-hand combat. I am also assuming it will stay nighttime as long as needed - Alucard has a distinct advantage under sunlight.

Note: this is assuming standard Alucard and Season 3 Dio. All seals released Alucard…. either serves up an endless buffet or overwhelms Dio, not certain which. Scary Monster Dio gets gunned down easily. Phantom Blood.... unless he opens with Space-Ripper-Stingy-Eyes, Alucard should gun him down quickly. Eyes Over Heaven Dio probably can consistently win.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Stardust Crusaders Dio cant use Space Ripper Stingy Eyes or Body Freezing because the body isnt "His" yet. He can use the flesh parasites because their from his head but the rest require a functioning body.

Stardust Crusaders Dio cant use Space Ripper Stingy Eyes or Body Freezing because the body isnt "His" yet. He can use the flesh parasites because their from his head but the rest require a functioning body.
    Space Ripper Stingy Eyes is not only from his own eyes, but explicitly something he could fire off while just a head.

That being said, I don't see how Alucard is maintaining distance with someone who can stop time for several seconds, especially when that person experiences those seconds at superspeed. ISTR him and Jotaro covering some pretty huge distances during the latter half of their timestop duel.

Also, how long would it take Alucard to regenerate if Dio just splatters his entire torso during the time freeze (drinking as much of Alucard's blood as he can in the process)? Less time than it would take for Dio to be able to stop time again (the cooldown period seems to only be a few seconds at most, IIRC)? Because if it isn't, then Alucard isn't going to really be able to do anything after the first timestop other than be splattered ad infinitum until he runs out of blood/souls. Even doing shenanigans with his limbs don't have a great chance of success, considering that Dio is a flipping JoJo villain, which is to say, extremely cautious and extremely creative.

Astonishing Member

Attacking from a distance didn't save Kakyoin. Just sayin'.