Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Given that the entire comic book industry is facing collapse, no I am not happy.

BANNED

No I am not exactly happy with their current output. Only reading Hawkman, Superman and Action from the monthlies, along with various minis like The Question and The Batman's grave.

Too bad since I was a huge fan throughout the New 52...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Marvel's Epic line had a pretty good range of stuff and started way before Vertigo
    True.
    Marvel had non-superhero comics/books in 80's and still do.
    These are facts.
    The main focus for dc and marvel are superhero comics.
    These are facts also.
    Last edited by mace11; 05-02-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Yes.

10 chars.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-03-2020 at 02:19 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Animation:
    Not happy. A lot of the recent animated movies look a like and most are boring.
    I haven't been a fan of DC's animation in a loooooong time. Either the stuff looks (and/or is) bland and boring, or it's something that just doesn't appeal to me, like DC Superhero Girls and Harley Quinn. Granted, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the somewhat recent Death of Superman cartoon.

Really, though, the cartoons look low budget. They need a more impressive visual style by now. As a person who watches Japanese anime OVAs from the 80s often, it's really weird for me to see these modern DC cartoon movies. I can't help but compare them, because they're essentially the same thing (direct to video cartoon movies), and 9 times out of 10, the DC stuff looks way worse and way more boring. I'm certainly not saying every OVA I've seen is brilliant, because that certainly wouldn't be the case, but the ones I usually look for are almost always a lot more visually stimulating than what DC has been putting out for a long time now, and they tend to have a way better flair and style in general, from the art and animation to the music. The DC stuff is always (or almost always) really, REALLY vanilla in comparison to me.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-03-2020 at 04:01 AM.

If you've read my posts in the past you'll know I collected as a kid between 1992 and 1998... so about 7 to 12 years old... but only about 50 issues...

I started collecting for real around 31, in 2016...

So I'm a new reader and I collect material as old as 1970s but I own 90s books, 00s, but primarly I own Flashpoint and newer.

I collect about 7 trades on average per month, and collect used books as much as I can cause of how cheap they are.

I follow multiple characters, events, story arcs, whatever.

I can't seem to collect fast enough...

If the streaming and comics service DC Universe comes to Canada I'll seriously considser a annual subscription and start reading some books on a kindle.

I'm love much of what a read, so I'm a very happy DC Comics fan.

As for animation, I'm massive fan of the new Harley Quinn cartoon, I have also enjoyed many of the other animated movies.

As for live action DC films, I can't say I've been to excited... for me Batman and Batman Returns were the last motion pictures I loved. I'm happy for the success or Joker but didn't personally care for the film, I don't feel Superman has be represented well in any modern films, Ben Affleck, Jason, were the only good to come out of Synders films, them and WW, 1984, The Batman may launch DC back on track. Shazam was fun. I have hope for DC but they seem to have a lot of misses for every film that lands.

As far as live action TV, I don't watch any modern Flash, Supergirl, etc etc... as a teen I watched smallville... but only a couple seasons, before that the 90s Flash and Lois and Clark with Dean Caine...modern TV shows like Titans, Doom Patrol, etc etc seem to have some solid production value but I cant get engaged. THOUGH I'm happy for their success.

DC Comics 10/10
    Animation Modern 8/10
    Animation 90s 10/10
    Modern Live Action Film 5/10
    LIVE Action TV no interest
    Last edited by Menacer; 05-03-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Given that the entire comic book industry is facing collapse, no I am not happy.
    this, I'd say I'm a happy fan. I'm still getting a lot of content I really like both in the comics and in tv/movies. And I do my best to avoid the stuff I don't enjoy. But I am worried about where things will be in a year or 2. That and this 5G thing sounds like a potential mess. But overall I'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Comics:
    Indifferent.

Movies:
    Not happy but I do feel that they're getting better.

TV:
    Very happy I love all the CW TV shows they have been much better than the films and some of the comics and I can't wait to see Stargirl and Superman and Lois and BTW Tyler Hoechlin is a great Superman he's already better than Henry Cavil (my cat could is better actor than Cavil).

Animation:
    Not happy. A lot of the recent animated movies look a like and most are boring.
    Largely agree.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 05-03-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Happy with the live action movies? Happier than I was back in the dark days of BvS. But overall, no. Things could definitely be better.

Happy with the animated movies? **** yeah, I am.

Happy with the Live action shows? Titans is the only one I actively watch and I love it. But I hear great things about the Arrowverse. So that's a yes.

Happy with the animated shows? Harley Quinn and Young Justice? Another big **** yeah. Teen Titan Go? Well...it's better now than when it started but I still wish that show would crawl back into the darkest corner of hell, from whence it came. Overall, yes. I am happy.

Happy with the Comics? *sigh* Bit of a roller coaster. Mostly "no" but there are some things I'm starting to feel better about. It's been about two/three years since I was completely satisfied with the state of DC comics.
    Last edited by Blue22; 05-03-2020 at 06:31 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Once King left Batman & Tomasi left Superman there wasn't anything of interest for me other than Green Lantern by Morrison.

I honestly think that I may be aging out of DC comics and I think it is because they are moving towards silly, bombastic story telling (see: anything by Snyder) instead of engrossing story telling (see King's Batman & Tomasi's Superman family drama).

But I accept it because I feel that DC is trying to capture a new generation of readers with the silly stuff and then 5 years from now it is gonna go "dark" and then reboot it self.

So; no I am not happy per se but I'm fine with it; I am only reading Morrison's Green Lantern and once that is over then my time at DC will probably be over for a long while.

Very interesting replies guys. Thanks. I'm happy for those who are still enjoying some things, and I'm sad for those who don't or not so much.

I don't read monthly/weekly comics, though. Tried years ago and it wasn't for me. I felt there was too much filler. But I buy collected stories in trades when I hear great things about it. I really enjoyed Man and Superman recently, and I can't wait to read King's Superman Up in the Sky. So, in that way I'm happy.

Also happy with the recently animated Superman movies. Can't wait for the Aquaman cartoon and for JL Dark on HBO Max. Also, very intrigued in seeing the Rock as Black Adam in his movie. I love me some Egyptian myth. I have some things to be excited about, not all is bad. I hope some of the upcoming DC stuff is good/great.

Fantastic Member

Yes and no.

No on the comics; other than Wonder Woman they aren't producing any comics with my favorite characters (Black Canary, Batwoman, Power Girl and Midnighter) in any significant role.

On film yes; I have a Batwoman tv series that's...okay.
    I'm guaranteed more Wonder Woman on screen and I'm hopeful about getting more of Jurnee Smollett as my favorite superhero, Black Canary, in some capacity.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

NO about comics, I'm not collecting any title right now. I don't like the actual direction of all DC franchises.

Yes about shows: I loved Titans and Doom Patrol, waiting for more like that.

BANNED

I find I don't watch DC movies anymore. The last one I saw was Batman v Superman, and it was godawful. I've, of course, heard Wonder Woman and Aquaman are good, but I have no interest in seeing them. At least not now. Stuff like Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad I'll likely never watch in my life.

I also don't watch any of the shows. I can't make any statement on how good they are, but what I can say is I have no interest in watching them from what I have seen and know of them. That said, if I was going to watch one, it would probably be Doom Patrol.

Last comic book show I watched was Cloak and Dagger and I regret watching that. I guess I'm very selective with my entertainment. I don't feel like wasting my time, and usually when I know I'm not interested in something, I'm almost always right and I really am not interested in it.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-04-2020 at 05:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Looking at the movies, (keeping in mind this is only MY judgement, YMMV), MoS was a waste, BvS was terrible in just about every way, JL was utter garbage, WW had potential, but was on the whole terrible, with terrible villains, terrible actors in general including Gadot who is gorgeous, but not a great actress, and Pine, who appeared to be still channeling William Shatner after a three day bender, and the worst third act in modern movie history. Aquaman is something I still haven't seen but want to, Shazam was mild fun. SS...junk. Harley Quinn and some other character who don't resemble their comic book counterparts in the slightest----why bother? Joker----I've heard is good, sadly, I've never been breathlessly waiting for the Joker---Scorsese style. Don't want The Flash, at least not the one they're offering. Ditto Cybore---the actor and script managed to take a character who is interesting and decent when used with the Titans and reduce him to a check mark and a bore. Not interested in anything Bat related, including The Batman. The ten thousandth Batman related movie isn't something I'm interested in.

DC TV fairs better with me. Not that much, but still better. Legends is pretty fun about 80% of the time. Flash can be fun from time to time. And...er...I've heard DP was funish, and perhaps Titans, though I can't see them. And I'm sorry I also couldn't see the live action Lobo, strangely played evidently with the actor's native Irish accent for unfathomable reasons, since he played Jim Corrigan with a straight American accent, on Krypton. And I'm looking forward to Stargirl, though I'm pretty sure it will continue the trend of taking the most important newer character from the JSA, Power Girl, and relentless pretending she never existed. Still, it looks fun at least from the previews. Supergirl, OTOH, is terrible since basically the very early second season---it's mostly due to terrible writing, the worst of the Arrowverse, and some uneven and often bad acting. Arrow was uneven, but with pretty good acting. The lead in Black Lightning is good, but I hate absolutely everyone else on the show. Am I supposed to?

Animation? I stopped watching after Doom, which was boring and horrible. It was fine before though.
    Last edited by achilles; 05-04-2020 at 07:01 AM.

No 1940's JSA folk running and no Kent Nelson as Dr Fate... I haven't been a happy DC camper for a long time and I think it all started with the New-52. However I've been all cashed up when I dropped ALL my DC titles last year