Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Are you a happy DC fan right now?

Yeah, Are you a happy DC fan right now? Yes? No? Why?

I'm happy more DC characters are getting adaptations in animation or live action. Green Lantern, JL Dark, and many others. Just hoping they are well done.

Not so happy that Superman doesn't have a new big screen movie, but hopefully sooner rather than later. Hope his animated movies are quality and liked.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Not so happy that Superman doesn't have a new big screen movie, but hopefully sooner rather than later. Hope his animated movies are quality and liked.
    I don't think right now is a good time for a Superman film. His movies lately--Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League--really weren't received well critically. It's probably best to let the dust clear a bit before trying him again. But I agree, it is a real shame he is in the state he is in nowadays. He sucks in movies and comics, in my opinion.

It depends what part of DC we're talking about.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I'm always a happy DC fan. I'm way too long in the tooth to get upset at what are often trivial issues in the grand scheme of things.

That doesn't mean I just blindly think everything they touch is pure gold though. Not at all. For instance, although I enjoyed COIE, the Arrowverse shows are starting to get a little too cheap-looking and stale for me. Watching the episodes every week has developed into a bit of a chore. Batwoman is a bit of an exception to that as it's still new. The recent Valentines Day episode of The Flash that featured Amunet Black was easily the poorest episode in the series' history. You can keep something going just for the sake of it sometimes.

I can live with that though. Just like underwhelming comic runs. They tend to always be there but there's generally more than enough titles to keep me entertained at any given time. I don't do the animated side of things.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Don't know. I'm glad Superman is getting a new show. I like the Wal-Mart books and the fact that they aren't a continuity so you're not obligated to read every one. They are knocking it out of the park with out of continuity stuff but their mainstream stuff leads a lot to be desired. I like the reprint books. And most of them are the dollar books which is good.
    Assassinate Putin!

Not really. With each passing year I feel like I care less and less about anything DC does.

Very happy at this time, I have a good Batman comic and I’m going out on a limb on this but we may be seeing another classic run, DC universe has been fun can’t wait for season two of the Doom Patrol and I’ve been enjoying the old cartoons so hell yes I’m happy with DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I don't think right now is a good time for a Superman film. His movies lately--Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman, Justice League--really weren't received well critically. It's probably best to let the dust clear a bit before trying him again. But I agree, it is a real shame he is in the state he is in nowadays. He sucks in movies and comics, in my opinion.
    Don't forget TV. Hoechlin Superman sucks. I mean, he's still out there in public consciousness which in theory is good, its just the products are mostly quite poor. And the direction the comics are going in is just abominable. Animation still seems to be in general decent for him though, at least there's that.

But yeah, overall I'm very much in the not happy camp.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    DC universe has been fun can’t wait for season two of the Doom Patrol and I’ve been enjoying the old cartoons so hell yes I’m happy with DC.
    Oh yeah, that's another pet peeve that I have at the moment. DC Universe is still not available here in the UK. That pisses me off I have to admit.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Not really. The only DC book I am getting is Hawkman.
    Not much else is of interest to me.

BANNED

Overall, I'm pretty indifferent, I suppose. I'm kinda' bummed that the current take on Amethyst is something I really don't care for, because she doesn't get comics all that often. Though, to be fair, I guess her New 52 series wasn't that long ago (even though by now it kinda' was), but still...it's not like this is a character you can count on bouncing back and popping up in comics regularly.

I'm personally not a fan of Batman and Superman being dads. I'm just not a big fan of that direction.

What is something I like? Well, I like that Amethyst has a series right now, but see my first point for the conundrum I'm in with that.

Oh! I was highly disappointed with Scott Snyder's Justice League. In short, I felt he was self indulgent with it to an amateurish level and that he lost control of the story, or perhaps never even had control.

Overall yeah I’d say I’m pretty happy, I don’t love everything right now like Nightwing or Heroes in Crisis or the JSA still not showing up even though we brought them back in Doomsday Clock. But I still got plenty of characters I do like who do have some books right now such as Young Justice, Shazam, the Terrifics, and a few others and there are future series like DCeased 2 and Death Metal that frankly I’m pretty excited to see come out. Plus I really like the tv shows(live action and cartoons), animated movies, and some video games.

So I guess I’d say a few hiccups here or there but overall I’m having a good time.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm quite disengaged from live action. I haven't watched a CW show in years and I missed both Shazam and Birds of Prey. Same with animated series, except for Young Justice, which I love, and I usually check the animated movies, though mostly for some light fun, I think they're still far away from being great movies. But my big interest is towards comicbooks, and as long as there're titles I enjoy and a few that surprise me, I will be a happy DC fan. So, to put it succinctly, YES, I'm a happy DC fan When I don't like the direction taken for a character, I check out other titles and I always end up finding great products. Same with Marvel
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I guess depending on what your talking about, DC as a publishing company or its larger media presence. Breaking it down by some of the characters I like;

Green Lantern - Enjoying Morrison's series and looking forward to vol. 2 of Earth One. Pretty hyped for the eventual HBO series. So happy there.

Superman - Comics are a mixed bag though I've liked the digital re-releases of the Walmart books. While I do want Superman tv show where he's married to Lois, I am not looking forward to it because of the CW. Disappointed that Warner's film division seemingly has no idea what to do with him. Recent news of the aborted Superman video game proposal is also some salt on the wound.

Wonder Woman - Enjoying JL: Dark and Dead Earth but not really her main solo one but upcoming projects like Synder's Death Metal and DeConnick/Jimenez's Historia have me interested. Reasonably exited for WW 1984.

So mixed-to-positive I guess I would say.

Indifferent.

During my happiest time at DC, I only bought one title.
    I was happy in my little corner.

It did make me branch out some when it started having spin-offs.
    At the height of it, I was buying four monthly titles and one quarterly.
    But I was still happy.

Then there was another period several years later that I was very happy, and again I was only interested in one comic.

So it only really takes one good comic to make me happy.
    I just haven’t seen one that hits that note for me, yet. Not in a long while.

I thought Justice League Dark would be it but I lost interest.
    Probably because of the Justice League connection which turns me off a bit.
    It may seem trivial, but the same team and same creators would interest me a lot more if the book was called ‘Shadowpact’.

I’m not big on the Trinity.
    Or even most of the classic JLA-ers.
    I’m more into the fringe characters. The ones with more room for character development.

If I broke it down by my fave characters:

Blue Beetle (Ted) - he’s alive again, but his history is a mess.

Booster Gold - his history is a mess and there’s Heroes in Crisis.

Fire - in limbo since the beginning of New52, history is a mess.

Ice - in limbo, history is a mess.

JLI (as a whole) - history is a mess, Max Lord is a mess, many characters in limbo or dead.

Firestorm - the original Ronnie/Stein version will likely never appear again.

Huntress - the Wayne version made a comeback at the start of New52 but once Earth-2 was revealed her similarities to the original stopped. History is a mess. Meanwhile, there’s a Huntress running around but I’m not sure if it’s the Helena from Grayson or another Helena. I’d probably like any version of Huntress, though, if she’d just go solo.

Blue Devil - he has moved so far away from his original concept that he’s like a new character, history is a mess.

The Legion - no longer exist.

New Titans - history is a mess, may or may not have existed. Depending on the day of the week, Cyborg, Starfire and Raven May or may not have been members.

Mister Miracle - I skipped the King series. Still waiting for something that embraces the sci-fantasy epic mythological elements of Kirby’s New Genesis.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.