Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Well, Bendis still exists but... yeah, I'm still a happy DC fan.

Well, I’m happier than I was back in 2011 or so.

After having collected steadily since 1974 I got to the point w. DC (and Marvel, TBF) that I did the unthinkable and quit reading comics. I mean, to me that was a huge deal.

Now though things are far from perfect, I can at least find books at DC (and Marvel) that I enjoy, even if I have to ignore a whole lot of what I don’t enjoy.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Right now, I'd say I'm apreheensive:

There's a chance that a lot of what made unhappy for the last decade or so will now finally go away, but the pandemic made everything unclear, so I don't know.

Overall, however, when I say I'm unhappy, I'm talking about the status-quo: I care about the larger DCU and it's high concepts as much as I care about individual characters. There are always good books being put out, and I always enjoy them, but I'll enjoy them less if the configuration of the universe sucks: which does since about 2009.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'm happier with their TV and film stuff than anything coming out in the comics.

Legends of Tomorrow is a blast, and I'm still sticking with the Flash as well.
    I enjoyed Titans and look forward to seeing Doom Patrol when it's released on DVD.
    The animated movies being released range from pretty good to downright awesome.
    The Shazam movie was good fun and I enjoyed Joker a LOT more than I thought I would.

As a comic fan? Not so much.

I'm reading Flash & Aquaman. I have dropped everything else and with the current economic climate will probably drop them too in the not too distant future.
    To me, it just comes across as there is NO sense of direction. Nothing within the DCU is coherent anymore and at times simply contradictory.
    My favourite character has been shunted offstage for a decade then brought back with much fanfare only to be shat upon from a great height.

So...... mixed bag really.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

No, i can't remember when i thought DC was this mediocre. Its feels like its in a state of filler. There is an over reliance on stale and out of touch creators at DC right now. Their stable of creators are complacent and to put it bluntly old. Recycling the same names we have seen time and time again, while the stories they are producing are generic and factory like. There seems to be no standard of care or quality control at all. Its just about keeping their comfortable creators comfortable, and letting them churn out quick and easy by the numbers stories. There in no passion or exuberance in their main line. Just a bunch of old names recycling dated techniques.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-30-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    I don't like how Rebirth is making powerhouses like (sups and ww) fodders and weak and overpowering others
    Well to be fair that didn't start with Rebirth, that was Flashpoint and New 52 Ts. They have been jobbed the crap out ever since.

I'm... indifferent right now.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

Relatively happy, I'm thankful Vic Sage is back as the Question in some capacity. I'm enjoying Zatanna & Constantine in JLD, Hal Jordan holding down GL, enjoying the Flash, and really, really, enjoying the writer on Hawkman.

There are things that could be better:

The return of a Green Arrow series, Birds of Prey without Harley Quinn & a JSA, and Hal on the JLA

I wasn't happy with what they did to Wally and Roy Harper, I understand in the context of 5G if Didio was planning to replace the big names with younger versions, and therefore couldn't have the old Titans in the way, but you don't kill off fan favourites without alienating your readers.

I would like Ted Kord back, but accept Jamie Reyes, as replacement heroes seem to be the only way of bringing in racially diverse characters these days (The industry is too weak to make new heroes popular) I just wish Blue Beetle would go back to being a non powered hero, and have the flying bug.

All-New Member

I am a little worried about this new Generation Five thing. I guess I will wait and see. I love DC and am A die hard fan. does anyone know is the June previews catalog going to be outrageous with the amount of comics since there isn't going to be a May previews?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Well to be fair that didn't start with Rebirth, that was Flashpoint and New 52 Ts. They have been jobbed the crap out ever since.
    It didn't start with Rebirth OR Flashpoint OR the New52. The trope predates all those initiatives by quite an amount of time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

With both Diane Nelson & Dan Didio gone and the New 52 failing to have any staying power, I think DC has been in a period of flux for the past several years. There's been some good ideas, like the big push into the YA and kids markets that were ignored for far too long, and the more stand alone Black Label books.

The traditional DCU has been a bit adrift though, mostly because they were stuck in limbo waiting for Doomsday Clock, only for it to end up being largely redundant in terms of clearing up what exactly DC's current continuity is or isn't. This has been a mixed bag for the comics themselves, allowing the stronger creators to do their own thing while forcing others to hang on the vine because editorial hasn't picked a lane yet. With Didio gone, I'm not sure if that will help the situation, or further confuse things.

As for animation, I'm glad they're bringing this New 52-ish shared continuity to an end, mostly because that wasn't a particularly strong foundation to build from. I think the looser continuity the movies used before worked better for them.

DC Films continues to recover from the abrupt course correction from Snyder's original vision that failed to interest the broader public. I thought Harley Quinn was fine, but not something I have any interest in revisiting. Jenkins's Wonder Woman remains the high watermark for the DCEU, weak 3rd act be damned. Hopefully, WW1984 is as strong or stronger and Reeves has something new to say about Batman that hasn't been said already. I think The Suicide Squad is going to be an utter blast, though.

Following the whimper that Crisis ended on, I have pretty much dropped all of the CW shows. I am clearly not the target audience for these shows, and that's perfectly fine. I look forward to "Superman & Lois" because I'd love to see what they do with the character after several seasons of Supergirl strip-mining Superman's stuff. The premise is certainly interesting. Even Lois & Clark was fun for a season before it ran out of steam.

As for the streaming stuff, Doom Patrol was great, even if Titans has been a mess with some genuinely cool moments. Harley Quinn is a lot of fun, and Stargirl looks to be a nice middle ground between what CW is going for and the streaming shows.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 05-01-2020 at 01:33 AM.

BANNED

DiDio was pretty insane. In his nonstop efforts to "fix" DC continuity, he just wound up breaking and confusing it more and more. The Flashpoints, the Convergences, the Doomsday Clocks, the Metals...you can trace this all the way back to 52, I guess. The guy just never stopped, and what's more is that everything he did wound up seeming like a false start. It seems to me that he didn't have the patience to stick with things and kept getting distracted by some other idea he had, thus continually pulling the rug out from under himself and readers, and that he didn't have the planning and organization to keep his ideas from going off the rails and/or not amounting to anything. And then there were several times when his ideas were just bad from inception.

DC has an opportunity to really improve things without him, but it's anyone's guess whether or not things will get better, get worse, or stay the same.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-01-2020 at 03:02 AM.

nope, I don't think I've ever been a happy DC fan, I'd say I usually just have a few titles that I'm very passionate about. I'm more active on DC forums but I think I've always been more happy with Marvel's universe and brand than DC's.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-04-2020 at 02:09 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

I’d say I am. I just simply ignore what I don’t like. I feel that fan base is way too harsh with their “criticism” and disrespect. No company gets it right all the @&$!ing time. So I fail to understand why DC needs to be the exception, that it needs to move mountains for people. I feel like if people feel so strongly against the brand and what they do and don’t do. Then stop buying. That’s how I see it. I have no issues with them, never have.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I read what I like and pass on what I don't, so I'm happy. If DC isn't putting out a lot of what I like, it just gives me more money in my pocket for things I do.

So, yeah, I have no issue with DC at the moment.
    Exactly! I get of this “A creator/editor isn’t doing what I want so it’s bad or they don’t know what they’re doing.” nonsense. I never knew fans can turn a medium so depressing for me lol.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K