Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Then at least the Kree can be used to reference the Inhumans' origins.
    Yes, no reason they can't, Kree have been mentioned on Agents of Shield.

Spectacular Member Carmen_Rider's Avatar

Medusa, Crystal and all the other Inhumans are due their movie appearances. Can't wait.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    An Inhumans movie doesn't necessarily hurt Captain Marvel's chances. There's the Kree connection there.
    I really don't think it does either....

Besides that I would rather have a host of strong super hero films than have Marvel throwing out movies just so they can say "we got X minority" out first. I'm very pleased and impressed with how they are handling the film franchise. What they are doing hasn't really been done on this magnitude before, with the telling a story with in a story across god knows how many films and their delicate handling of these characters has only help me instill a trust in what they are doing. This whole movie experience has brought a new life to the comic fan experience as well. Who would have thought we would have ever been getting the books we are getting now just a few years ago? How many books staring minorities can possibly credit to having the movie franchise? How many pages would a thread about the Inhumans of all things really have gotten without the success of the previous films? These type of things as a long time comic enthusiast really makes me smile and know that when the time comes for movies like Captain Marvel, Black Panther, and who know maybe even the Falcon will all be handled well and be a success. I would much rather have that than the crap we use to get back in the 90's and early 00's.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

If they remain true to the original premise and don't try to turn any of the characters into heroes, this could actually be a great science fiction story.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    It does likely delay any potential Captain Marvel movie. Or a Black Panther movie, or a Black Widow movie.Or, really, any movie that doesn't have a white male lead. We've got, what, 11 movie slots between now and 2019? Ant-Man and Dr. Strange are definite. There's the two Avengers sequels. There's Captain America 3 and Thor 3. There's Guardians of the Galaxy 2. So that's 7 of the slots filled, right off the bat. So that leaves four slots left to be filled. Now we've got Inhumans (probably), so that leaves three slots. Both 2015 movies are known. Both 2016 movies are known. We know 1 of the three 2017 movies will be GotG 2. If they're working on Inhumans, it's likely to be in 2017, too. There's no release date yet for Thor 3, but it's probably pretty safe to assume 2017 for that. So that means the absolute earliest we can actually expect any movie that has a female or minority lead is 2018. Marvel should be trying to get something out before Sony and DC, but clearly, they're not going to. But even aside from that, I'm becoming genuinely sceptical that a female or minority lead is one of the three remaining slots. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but honestly, I refuse to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt on this until they say or do something to actually earn it. If Feige comes out and says, "Yes, in 2018, there will be a female- or minority-led film" - then hey, great, that's all I need to hear. That's all that anyone's actually wanted to hear. But I'm kinda expecting 2018 to consist of Ant-Man 2, Dr. Strange 2, and Captain America 4, now with a different white guy in the main role.

Yeah, I'll admit I was being a little bit facetious with that comment. Still, the X-Men comics are more popular than the Avengers comics. And the reason for Heroes Reborn doesn't really apply to the X-Men. I don't think they're going to be getting shoved into another reality or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    To me it's all about the time. The release dates are:

05/01/2015 – Avengers: Age of Ultron
    07/17/2015 – Ant-Man
    05/06/2016 – Captain America 3 (not official title)
    07/16/2016 – Unknown (Presumably Doctor Strange)
    05/05/2017 – Unknown
    07/28/2017 – Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (not official title)
    11/03/2017 – Unknown
    05/04/2018 – Unknown
    07/06/2018 – Unknown
    11/02/2018 – Unknown
    05/03/2019 – Unknown

You have to figure Thor 3 and Avengers 3 will eat up two more slots. Given that 05/04/18 will mark the 10th anniversary of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I imagine Avengers 3 will take that date. Inhumans now looks to eat another date. Based off of the fact that Kevin Feige has said he'd like to see a sequel and new franchise introduced every year, so in theory the next few years will play out like this:

05/01/2015 – Avengers: Age of Ultron
    07/17/2015 – Ant-Man
    05/06/2016 – Captain America 3
    07/16/2016 – Doctor Strange
    05/05/2017 – Inhumans
    07/28/2017 – Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (not official title)
    11/03/2017 – Thor 3
    05/04/2018 – The Avengers 3

Now of course that's just me talking, I don't know any more about Marvel's plans than any other average joe, but it disappoints me to think that Marvel may take 10+ years and 18 films before they have one that stars a minority or a woman in the leading role.
    Good points, the both of you.

I feel like we're going to see a Captain Marvel movie (hopefully starring Katee Sackhoff) before "Avengers 3," but I'm feeling very optimistic today.

BANNED

I'm fairly certain the Guardians movie shows that Marvel just doesn't miss with their movies. This will be another movie that will make bundles of money and be awesome as well. I like these off the beaten path characters getting films.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Besides that I would rather have a host of strong super hero films than have Marvel throwing out movies just so they can say "we got X minority" out first.
    This is a fairly common argument. But I think it's also a disingenuous one. Marvel's proven that they know what they're doing. There's absolutely no reason to believe that they wouldn't do a fantastic Black Panther movie. "Doing it soon or doing it right" is a false choice, as they can do both. They're choosing to do Inhumans before they do Black Widow, or Black Panther, or Captain Marvel, or a War Machine solo, or a Nick Fury solo, or White Tiger, or literally any other movie with a lead who isn't a straight white male. They are choosing to exclusively do movies where white guys get top billing. They could do a Captain Marvel movie right, and they could do it right now, and get it out in 2017. Instead, they're saying, "Nah, those characters can wait. Women and people of colour can be satisfied with being love interests, sidekicks and supporting casts."

Marvel is saying that women and minorities don't actually deserve to be given leads, and to get top billing. They're saying women and minorities should be limited to second billing at best. It may not be what they want to say, but their complete and total inability to do a movie where a woman or a person of colour gets top billing, that's the message they send.

^and who says the lead for the Inhumans is a straight white male?

Yes there's Black Bolt and all... But not like he's your traditional lead either... Being practically a mute and all. It'd be a disabled person as a lead, and disabled people are as disadvantaged as anybody else. Plus if the rumored Vin Diesels taking that role then you have your minority lead.

And more likely they're not going to have a mute as a main protagonist anyway, because it's tough for storytelling. The next logical option would then be Medusa and Crystal who are female. So... What was it you're complaining about again?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    This is a fairly common argument. But I think it's also a disingenuous one. Marvel's proven that they know what they're doing. There's absolutely no reason to believe that they wouldn't do a fantastic Black Panther movie. "Doing it soon or doing it right" is a false choice, as they can do both. They're choosing to do Inhumans before they do Black Widow, or Black Panther, or Captain Marvel, or a War Machine solo, or a Nick Fury solo, or White Tiger, or literally any other movie with a lead who isn't a straight white male. They are choosing to exclusively do movies where white guys get top billing. They could do a Captain Marvel movie right, and they could do it right now, and get it out in 2017. Instead, they're saying, "Nah, those characters can wait. Women and people of colour can be satisfied with being love interests, sidekicks and supporting casts."

Marvel is saying that women and minorities don't actually deserve to be given leads, and to get top billing. They're saying women and minorities should be limited to second billing at best. It may not be what they want to say, but their complete and total inability to do a movie where a woman or a person of colour gets top billing, that's the message they send.
    I have to respectfully disagree. What is disingenuous is assuming that just because a studio has now finally established a track record of quality mean that was guaranteed before or even now after the reputation of quality is earned. So far all the films have been "good" sure but how do we know the next film, antman of all characters, won't be a flop?

Your message also has a host of things that only paint one picture without addressing the entraciate details to the point were the message just comes off as a case of entitlement. I'm sure we will get the films we all want that soon enough but it's hard to be upset in my opinion when the movies had led to books such as Black Widow, Loki, and several other minority characters in the spot light or in their own solo feature.
    Last edited by Trident; 08-14-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    ^and who says the lead for the Inhumans is a straight white male?

Yes there's Black Bolt and all... But not like he's your traditional lead either... Being practically a mute and all. It'd be a disabled person as a lead, and disabled people are as disadvantaged as anybody else. Plus if the rumored Vin Diesels taking that role then you have your minority lead.

And more likely they're not going to have a mute as a main protagonist anyway, because it's tough for storytelling. The next logical option would then be Medusa and Crystal who are female. So... What was it you're complaining about again?
    I'm fully expecting Black Bolt to be the lead, getting the top billing, with Medusa being love interest and mouthpiece. And I also fully expect them to cast a white guy as Black Bolt; Vin Diesel is more likely to be Gorgon. (Also, even if he does get cast as Black Bolt, Vin Diesel can pass for white. A lot of people don't even know that he identifies as a person of colour. So for the first minority lead to be someone that a lot of people don't actually know would still be a shame.)

But maybe Marvel will do the right thing. Maybe Medusa will be the lead. Maybe the actor playing her will get top billing. I'm just not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree. What is disingenuous is assuming that just because a studio has now finally established a track record of quality doesn't mean that was guaranteed before or even now after the reputation of quality is earned. So far all the films have been "good" sure but how do we know the next film, antman of all characters, won't be a flop?

Your message also has a host of things that only paint one picture without addressing the entraciate details to the point were the message just comes off as a case of entitlement. I'm sure we will get the films we all want that soon enough but it's hard to be upset in my opinion when the movies had led to books such as Black Widow, Loki, and several other minority characters in the spot light or in their own solo feature.
    Yeah, Ant-Man could be a flop. But I'm betting it won't be. And even if it is, there's absolutely no reason to believe Black Panther or Captain Marvel would be flops if Marvel actually got to work on them. As it is, we have no indication that Marvel is even bothering to do any actual work on them, or has any plans to work on them. Assuming Marvel does wind up casting a white man as Black Bolt in the lead role for Inhumans, that would mean 2018 will be the absolute earliest that there could even potentially be a female- or minority-led movie. It should not take them 10 years to do this ****.

And yeah, I'm enjoying plenty of the comics. But the comics have a small audience, while the movies are massive blockbusters. Marvel's publishing side is doing a fantastic job at promoting diversity, but their movie side continues to treat those characters as love interests, sidekicks and supporting cast.

And the thing is, I'm a straight white man. I am part of the most privileged and entitled group out there. And I am sick of seeing people who look like me saving the day. I can see people who look like me everywhere. I can't get away from people like me. I'd like to see someone a little frigging different.

BANNED

I have to agree with almost everything you said, Tiamatty. I myself am half-White (mostly Irish), half-Mexican, but I look White even though I identify as Hispanic. It would certainly be cool if we could get something a little different.

As you said, we've got guys who look like us (me and you) everywhere. Falling out each other's asses almost.

But I do think that Captain Marvel movie is more likely than not:

http://www.411mania.com/movies/news/330857

At any rate, Katee Sackhoff is preparing for some role in a Marvel movie.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Medusa and/or Crystal should get top billing in this movie like Star Lord did for GotG, period. The other Inhumans can be novelties like Rocket and Groot.

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    I have to agree with almost everything you said, Tiamatty. I myself am half-White (mostly Irish), half-Mexican, but I look White even though I identify as Hispanic. It would certainly be cool if we could get something a little different.

As you said, we've got guys who look like us (me and you) everywhere. Falling out each other's asses almost.

But I do think that Captain Marvel movie is more likely than not:

http://www.411mania.com/movies/news/330857

At any rate, Katee Sackhoff is preparing for some role in a Marvel movie.
    It's actually only rumours that she's preparing for a Marvel movie. In fact, she's flat-out said she hasn't met with anyone from Marvel about anything yet. (Stan Lee doesn't count, because everyone wants to meet Stan Lee.) I'd like to believe a Captain Marvel movie will happen. But right now, Marvel has given me absolutely no reason to believe it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    Medusa and/or Crystal should get top billing in this movie like Star Lord did for GotG, period. The other Inhumans can be novelties like Rocket and Groot.
    Agreed. Make Medusa the lead. Give her top billing. It's time Marvel put their money where their mouth is in regards to female-led movies.

Fantastic Member

has it ever been explained how Marvel studios got the film right to the Inhumans as they started with the FF? was it simply that the other studio didn't want the characters?

Quote Originally Posted by runguy View Post
    has it ever been explained how Marvel studios got the film right to the Inhumans as they started with the FF? was it simply that the other studio didn't want the characters?
    FOX probably didn't even know about the Inhumans, so Marvel got to keep it since no one brought it up.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!