• Janeway

0 0%
  • Archer

2 4.76%
  • Other

1 2.38%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I kinda thought that was the least evil option of that moral crises.

Scenes like this are why I really don't blame Abrams for taking Trek in the direction that he did.

Me, to friends: "C'mon, Star Trek is cool!"

*this scene happens*

Me:

(This is not a knock on Picard. Just the writers.)

Also, I really want to tell the 90s writers that music existed after 1970, as well.

You don’t even need to defend Trek’s honour any more now that the Star Wars fans have claimed the least cool fanbase of any genre fiction thing award in perpetuity.

Also, why would people in the 24th Century even be particularly attached to the popular music of the years between 1970 and 1990, over 300 years earlier? Baby Kirk going for a joyride blasting out the Beastie Boys is only about as cool as someone now doing it to the William Tell Overture.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 05-05-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My thought on seeing the pilot for TNG is that they hired a character actor to play the captain because they didn't want him to be the focus, like Kirk was on TOS. They were going to use the younger, leading man types to be the action stars. Like how Ian was the action man, while the First Doctor wasn't expected to exert himself. But then in the later seasons of TNG they put the character actor in the role of the leading man. I recall that there were contract disputes with the other actors, so that might explain why Picard was hogging whole episodes for himself. I think that Stewart was the one actor they had locked in, so they wrote scripts for him, given they didn't know what other actors would be available. But don't quote me on this--it's just my hazy memory.
    At first I honestly thought Riker would be the REAL focus, and possibly replace Picard down the line.

But slowly Picard evolved into being THE Man. He was the personification of Star Fleet. And I think the show needed that. Riker could have been another Kirk, but we didn't need another Kirt.

FYI (although he occasionally became acting Captain of the Enterprise) at the end of Nemesis Riker finally accepts a promotion to Captain of the Titan
    And now the Zheng He

Last edited by Güicho; 05-05-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I'd definitely welcome a new series featuring Captain Riker.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I'd definitely welcome a new series featuring Captain Riker.
    I don't know if I could take another 7 years of him tilting his head when he leaves the room/scene!
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Also, why would people in the 24th Century even be particularly attached to the popular music of the years between 1970 and 1990, over 300 years earlier? Baby Kirk going for a joyride blasting out the Beastie Boys is only about as cool as someone now doing it to the William Tell Overture.
    Well, for the same reasons anyone listens to any music created before they were alive. Music is timeless. Not all of it. Some of it is hella dated. We currently listen to classical and jazz. No reason they'd stop just because they're in space.

Realistically, most of the music used in Trek shows was compositions in public domain. Licensing music is expensive. Especially when those shows are being produced for syndication.

And finally, nah, the Beastie Boys will always be cool.

No vote for Janeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    No vote for Janeway.
    Is that surprising? I'm surprised Archer actually got a couple votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Well, for the same reasons anyone listens to any music created before they were alive. Music is timeless. Not all of it. Some of it is hella dated. We currently listen to classical and jazz. No reason they'd stop just because they're in space.

Realistically, most of the music used in Trek shows was compositions in public domain. Licensing music is expensive. Especially when those shows are being produced for syndication.

That's really sidestepping the issue that we'd expect people three to four centuries on to be listening to our contemporary music. They've got the entire body of recorded (or written) musical history to draw from, so it's totally going to kill the verisimilitude of the future society if we're constantly hearing stuff from whatever acts the channel's parent corporation are trying to push this week. Also, we're supposed to have had the Third World War by now, so probably loads of recorded media from the 90s got wiped out - even Rick Astley.

It is always funny though when they do the trope of listing two great composers from history and one made-up one from a future century when they tell aliens about human music, though. Maybe they could slip in Limp Bizkit there next time.

Well there was that episode where the kid listened to Alien Metal.

I definitely didn't expect Jake Sisko to be listening to Nirvana. I think if you're going to show them listening to anything even remotely "contemporary" to our society, classical and Jazz standards is a pretty good way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I kinda thought that was the least evil option of that moral crises.

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" also used the tune, although it was kind of more fitting (and brief) there, and it's kind of established that Sallah was a Gilbert & Sullivan fan earlier in the movie since he sings another song (Monarch of the seas) after they figure out Belloq's error.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

Funny thing about the punk song in The Voyage Home, it was actually written and performed by the "punk" actor himself, Kirk thatcher, who also was a producer. He's got an interesting career-he's done a ton of Muppet stuff, for example, and was also involved with Return of the Jedi's puppets as well. He even had a cameo in Spider-Man homecoming.

I think Abrams wrote a few of the background tunes in his movies too. The bar scene music in the relaunch where Kirk meets Uhura , Pike, and "Cupcake" I'm pretty sure is his original music. (He also did the same for the bar in FORCE AWAKENS).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Zero for Janeway? Is it a generation thing?
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Zero for Janeway? Is it a generation thing?
    It might be more of an “overshadowing” thing; Janeway’s Show was both trying to be more TNG than its own thing half the time, while it also launched when Sisko was just starting to hit his stride in DS9. And TNG made it to the movies as well, so that me at she was competing with the original Picard as well.

Probably would have done better of Voyager made a more concerted effort towards beings it’s on thing; about every time it took a step towards its unique premise it would take a step back the very next episode.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP