12 28.57%
  • Janeway

0 0%
  • Archer

2 4.76%
  • Other

1 2.38%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Kinda surprised to see Sisko ahead of Kirk.

Feels good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

Feels good though.
    I don't think it's that surprising.

If it was who was your FAVORITE captain, I'm more inclined to think Kirt would be the overall favorite.

But strictkly speaking, he's probably not the best. He's a great captain for a TV show... but in a more realistic sense he's probably a bit loser with the rules than many might want.

Easiest way to put it I think is more people would probably want to BE Kirt... but more people would probably want to serve under Picard, Sisko, or Pike.

Spock had always said that a Starship Captain has to be a special person and Kirk ticked all those boxes, the other Captain's are too weak in my opinion when it comes to making decisions over the many! Kirk will always get my vote.
    Hail Hydra!

Niffleheim

Favorite Captain for me seems to be asking two different questions? As a character it seems to be Picard because i discovered him first but as a Captain that goes to The Sisko because of how he led his crew and how he run DS9.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

Feels good though.
    Kirk is still the most iconic Captain, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    Spock had always said that a Starship Captain has to be a special person and Kirk ticked all those boxes, the other Captain's are too weak in my opinion when it comes to making decisions over the many! Kirk will always get my vote.
    In ST Generations, Picard needed Kirk's help to defeat the enemy..

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    In ST Generations, Picard needed Kirk's help to defeat the enemy..
    Yeah... but Kirk also died stopping Dr. Soran, where as Picard survived Also Kirk needed Picard's help to leave the Nexxus. It was a mutually beneficial partnership.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Poor Janeway. If she hadn't murdered Tuvix...

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh my god, best comment ever.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Boisterously Confused

I like all of them. That said, Picard is the one I prefer the most. He demonstrated the widest range of capabilities (pilot/ship-master, archeologist, thespian, gambler, technologist, tactician). That said, there are kind of two Picards: Pre-Season 4 and Post-Season 3, after which we start to see a lot more of a visceral, adventurous hero. All things considered, I prefer Pre-Season 4 Picard; I like the idea of an adventurer tempered, and perhaps a bit mellowed by experience and responsibility, and made just a teeny bit crabby by the weight of it all.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Kirk is still the most iconic Captain, tho.
    I can't argue that one. Kirk is to the Captain's Chair what Washington is the US Presidency; most of the tropes and conventions begin with him, and he tends to be the standard against which the others are measured.

I'm enjoying Captain Cristóbal Rios and his somewhat tortured existentialist crisis, and split personality Emergency Holograms disorder.

Last edited by Güicho; 05-05-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I like all of them. That said, Picard is the one I prefer the most. He demonstrated the widest range of capabilities (pilot/ship-master, archeologist, thespian, gambler, technologist, tactician). That said, there are kind of two Picards: Pre-Season 4 and Post-Season 3, after which we start to see a lot more of a visceral, adventurous hero. All things considered, I prefer Pre-Season 4 Picard; I like the idea of an adventurer tempered, and perhaps a bit mellowed by experience and responsibility, and made just a teeny bit crabby by the weight of it all.
    Oh man, I’d forgotten all about the episode where Picard Die-Hards around the Jefferies Tubes with a crossbow. And he sings Gilbert & Sullivan.

At least we’ll always have Vasquez Rocks and the danger music, Kirk!

Retired

My thought on seeing the pilot for TNG is that they hired a character actor to play the captain because they didn't want him to be the focus, like Kirk was on TOS. They were going to use the younger, leading man types to be the action stars. Like how Ian was the action man, while the First Doctor wasn't expected to exert himself. But then in the later seasons of TNG they put the character actor in the role of the leading man. I recall that there were contract disputes with the other actors, so that might explain why Picard was hogging whole episodes for himself. I think that Stewart was the one actor they had locked in, so they wrote scripts for him, given they didn't know what other actors would be available. But don't quote me on this--it's just my hazy memory.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I kinda thought that was the least evil option of that moral crises.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Oh man, I’d forgotten all about the episode where Picard Die-Hards around the Jefferies Tubes with a crossbow. And he sings Gilbert & Sullivan.

At least we’ll always have Vasquez Rocks and the danger music, Kirk!
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)