Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default Huntress Appreciation 2020

An appreciation thread for the various characters who’ve taken on the mantle of the Huntress, the heroic version having first appeared in DC Super Stars #17 (November, 1977).

1977:

1989:

1994:

2008:

2011:

2020:

Mighty Member

Huntress.jpg

One of my favourite story archs of all time.

Mighty Member

Not to be nostalgic or anything. But I think Huntress was better in the 90s-mid 2000s. I feel like they softened her up a bit for the modern age.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    Not to be nostalgic or anything. But I think Huntress was better in the 90s-mid 2000s. I feel like they softened her up a bit for the modern age.

You're not. It's just a fact.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    You're not. It's just a fact.
    I don’t want to say that it’s a fact because everyone has their preference of course. I just don’t want to come off as the “old comics good, new comics bad.” guy.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

I enjoyed the animated version of the Huntress/Question team-up from JLU:

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I enjoyed the animated version of the Huntress/Question team-up from JLU:
    cc6bb934826be4dab83392573d70743.gif[/img]
    I beyond loved the sapphic homage to that inspired pairing when Helena Bertinelli Huntress was paired with Renee Montoya's Question.

Especially when Cully Hamner was on art duties.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 05-03-2020 at 04:46 AM.

So is it cool to talk about Helena Wayne here because personally I prefer her comic wise over Helena Bertinelli, although Bertinelli does win out in the cartoon department with Justice League and Batman the brave and the bold.

My favorite Huntress stories were the backups in Wonder Woman.

I also liked the New52 mini-series, which was the closest she'd come to her roots, IMO.
    But Worlds' Finest and Earth-2 took her in another direction I didn't care for.

Is Huntress in Birds of Prey the Helena from Grayson?
    Or did Grayson get retconned?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So is it cool to talk about Helena Wayne here because personally I prefer her comic wise over Helena Bertinelli, although Bertinelli does win out in the cartoon department with Justice League and Batman the brave and the bold.
    I was not really aware of her when she was Helena Wayne, but I'm very open to finding out what she was about and what was cool about her.

I was a big fan of her during Simone's "Birds of Prey" and Rucka did a good job with her, but I can't say any other versions really grabbed me. I hadn't realized just how many looks she's had over the years. I'm definitely a big fan of a pointy mask and cape. I guess my fav look for her is from the cover to the Levitz/To mini above. Lee's design was also really good, but for that belly window. Cover that up and it might be #1 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yep. It’s cool.

Astonishing Member

It's be awesome to have a JSA on Earth 2 -- where Huntress could be the offspring of Batman and Catwoman -- and then have Bertinelli on Earth 1.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I was not really aware of her when she was Helena Wayne, but I'm very open to finding out what she was about and what was cool about her.

I was a big fan of her during Simone's "Birds of Prey" and Rucka did a good job with her, but I can't say any other versions really grabbed me. I hadn't realized just how many looks she's had over the years. I'm definitely a big fan of a pointy mask and cape. I guess my fav look for her is from the cover to the Levitz/To mini above. Lee's design was also really good, but for that belly window. Cover that up and it might be #1 for me.
    No matter the consensus, I've always been a fan of Jim Lee's designs for the Huntress...
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-04-2020 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Added more words.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    I don’t want to say that it’s a fact because everyone has their preference of course. I just don’t want to come off as the “old comics good, new comics bad.” guy.
    While I agree 110% with this statement, it's a fact (according to me of course ) because she was written with a clear personality, had direction, attained character growth etcetera.

Sure these were based on the opportunity she had i.e. benefiting under certain writers (Simone, Rucka) and the existence of a relatively rich history behind her.

Point I'm trying to make is, since her reappearance in Grayson (which I did like, including her re-design), she has not been fleshed out. At least not that I've come across (and I stand to be corrected).

Hence why I lean towards it being a "fact".