Page 341 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2412913313373383393403413423433443453513914418411341 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 75153

Meanwhile, can I say I love Sacha Baron Cohen for a moment?

Sacha Baron Cohen infiltrated the Washington 3% (local rightwing militia) event in Olympia a few minutes ago. A last-minute big donor paid to sponsor the event, and hire security... And then that security kept the organizers from getting on stage to stop Cohen
    https://twitter.com/spekulation/stat...22446512570368

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Meanwhile, can I say I love Sacha Baron Cohen for a moment?

https://twitter.com/spekulation/stat...22446512570368
    I saw a video of him performing. He brought a whole bluegrass band. The crowd... they sang and clapped along to racist tropes and conspiracy theories... for eight and a half minutes.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Mighty Member

Guy goes away for a few days, to find out people are actually arguing that Communism is better than Capitalism and that they would rather live in China than the United States? Man there are some super duper fruit loops on this board.

I'm Canadian, and I would rather live in Canada than the US, and I'd rather live in France or Denmark over Canada, but China??? have you people lost your fricken minds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I saw a video of him performing. He brought a whole bluegrass band. The crowd... they sang and clapped along to racist tropes and conspiracy theories... for eight and a half minutes.
    ...that's less helpful. Sigh. I'm still glad he screwed over the actual fascists, of course.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-27-2020 at 11:35 PM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Killing people in several ways and betraying the country to the Russians in one day, oh my. His approval rating my dip to 33.5 percent.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    ...that's less helpful. Sigh. I'm still glad he screwed over the actual fascists, of course.
    Here's a link:

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The national popular vote has never mattered, and nobody has ever treated it like it does. Trump won by the rules that everyone knew about and agreed to going in, and there's still a pretty good chance he'll pull off the same feat again in 2020. Of course pushing to abolish the electoral college would be too radical and upset too many moderates, so the only option I suppose is to just impotently whine about it and hope that the outcome will be different the next time around.
    Except for violating those rules by illegal voter suppression, and slanderous smear campaigns done in coordination with Wikileaks and Russia. But sure. tRuMP wON bY tHE rULeS.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

But isn’t that effectively the same as John Cleese playing Basil Fawlty? (i.e. he’s playing a deliberately exaggerated character in order to ridicule certain traits.)

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The last few Presidents have been historically unqualified.

Bill Clinton was the only small state Governor elected President.

George W Bush was Governor in a state where the legislature had the power, and his only prior job was due to his dad's friends, when his dad was in national offic.

Obama didn't serve a full term in the Senate.

Trump wasn't ready to be President, but it did come after some others who didn't have the qualifications of most previous Presidents.
    Abraham Lincoln served only two years in the US Congress from 1847 to 1849 and he was out of office for 12 years prior to the presidency

Lincoln is even less qualified than Bush or Obama and he became the greatest president of the USA

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But isn’t that effectively the same as John Cleese playing Basil Fawlty? (i.e. he’s playing a deliberately exaggerated character in order to ridicule certain traits.)
    Cleese didn't do it in front of a live audience that didn't realize he was playing a character who should not be encouraged.

Cleese didn't do it in front of a live audience that didn't realize he was playing a character who should not be encouraged.
    Characters like the Major in Fawlty Towers (Which Cleese wrote) do it all the time.

And clearly playing characters that he actually despises is something Sacha does frequently. Look at Borat, for example where he plays a guy that loathes and fears Jewish people.

I don’t see why you think the live aspect of it is critical in this case..it’s a staple of live stand up comedy that comedians often play people with exaggerated traits intending to ridicule them.

Sad if a particular audience doesn’t get it. But far sadder if that type of comedy was driven underground.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

The veepstakes is still on.

If Joe Biden is going to pick an unqualified running mate over a qualified one, he will probably choose Stacey Abrams who has very little political experience as a state legislator and a failed gubernatorial candidate.

To select an unqualified running mate is not without precedent. Chester A. Arthur' was a simple bureaucrat and never elected to any office before being elected vice-president. Prior to the vice-presidency, His only previous office was being Collector of the Port of New York which was an appointed office, not an elected one. He was no great president but a terrible one.
    Last edited by Kuro no Shinigami; 06-28-2020 at 01:52 AM.

“It did result in coalition casualties.”

New reporting on Russian military payments to Taliban-linked groups to target US and UK troops.
    https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/...800778752?s=20

Hillary was right!

I'm no fan of Sacha Baron Cohen, but his whole shtick is tricking people into being comfortable enough around him to allow their masks to slip off. The intended audience KNOWS he is faking it, but the one in front of him isn't the intended audience, but rather unwitting participants in the show.

Didn't he get a sitting Congressman to practically endorse a final solution a couple of years ago?

This is pretty much the same thing on a larger scale, make the people in front of him feel safe enough to show us who they really are. It's not comedy, it's horror with a laugh track.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The Lincoln Project hit another home run:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1277034391710113793

‘Tre45on’ Trends After Bombshell Story Claiming Trump Knew Putin Had Bounty On U.S. Troops

Reacting to the report, Joe Biden slammed Trump’s record of “deference and debasing himself before Vladimir Putin.”

Pence Cancels Campaign Events In Florida, Arizona As States’ COVID-19 Cases Soar

The vice president drops appearances a day after boasting the U.S. is “flattening the curve” in COVID-19 cases. My guess: Red Grant worried that his luck might finally out and he could contract the virus.

White Evangelicals Aren’t As Worried About COVID-19 As Other Faith Groups: Study

White evangelicals are less concerned about being infected and more enthusiastic about opening up, the American Enterprise Institute found. Bible thumpers be STUPID!

Congress Stalls Out — Again — Dealing With National Trauma

Police reform seems likely to join gun control and immigration as issues where Americans overwhelmingly support changes, but Congress is unable or unwilling to do anything. More like REPUBLICANS are unwilling to do anything.

Joe Biden’s Campaign Staff Is One-Third People Of Color

The Biden campaign released its diversity data on Saturday night after months of delay.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!