Alabama’s GOP governor says ‘it’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks’ for covid-19 spike

When asked what more could be done to encourage Alabama residents to get their coronavirus vaccinations amid the latest spike in infections, Gov. Kay Ivey (R) had run out of ideas for how to persuade people in a state with the lowest vaccination rate in the nation.

“I don’t know. You tell me,” the governor told a reporter in Birmingham on Thursday. “Folks [are] supposed to have common sense.”
    She did, however, have one message for her state: “It’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks. It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down.”
    --------

Jim Zeigler asks Kay Ivey to ban door-to-door vaccine squads in Alabama

------------------

GOP leaders are blocking vaccine education

-------------------------

Gov. Ivey fires back after report suggests Alabama could go back into "shutdown mode"
    Last edited by Tami; 07-23-2021 at 08:10 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But was anyone really unaware of the Donald being favoured by the Russians? ( If it went further than that and he was a “Russian asset”, which implies he was under control..I guess the present Democrat administration will arrange the appropriate prosecution for treachery.)

But to be honest I was “pulling your leg”….and I actually think what is often called “what-aboutism” on these boards is often a valid form of argument…in those cases where attention is brought to similar cases that are treated differently because of bias.
    There are some BS claims of whataboutism on this board, and other places politics is discussed (I remember a recent accusation of whataboutism when I was responding to a comparison someone else made) but it is sometimes applicable. "What about Trump?" doesn't address questions about a prominent Democratic member of Congress, or whether a description of his situation was accurate.

Last week's Guardian piece doesn't say Trump is a Russian asset. The story had a lot of qualifiers, but it's mainly a leaked document about the Russian government preferring Trump. It hasn't been covered in the American news, which suggests they're still vetting.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There are some BS claims of whataboutism on this board, and other places politics is discussed (I remember a recent accusation of whataboutism when I was responding to a comparison someone else made) but it is sometimes applicable. "What about Trump?" doesn't address questions about a prominent Democratic member of Congress, or whether a description of his situation was accurate.

Last week's Guardian piece doesn't say Trump is a Russian asset. The story had a lot of qualifiers, but it's mainly a leaked document about the Russian government preferring Trump. It hasn't been covered in the American news, which suggests they're still vetting.
    Trump has been photographed with Putin many more times than Swalwell with that Chinese lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

If it was just a case of "whataboutism" I wouldn't have pointed out that the "story" on Swalwell was leaked by Trump, or that when it leaked, in most reports, including YOUR OWN, you omitted that when he was informed by the FBI that a woman he was photographed with once was a spy, he aided their investigation into her. I didn't completely ignore the smear you through out.

But you're doubling down on it anyway. Typical. And still trying to brush away all the far more shocking examples of your own party doing worse. Not one. MULTIPLE. Even more typical.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 07-23-2021 at 10:03 AM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Lol…

If Mets made the equivalent argument wouldn’t it be called an example of “What-aboutism”?
    I think the fact that the media is focusing on smaller and trumped-up scandals while ignoring Trump's and the GOP's huge insanities is the actual whataboutism. Pointing those out is just returning to the main conversation.

A great example is what Biden is doing in the video here:

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/...004178432?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I think the fact that the media is focusing on smaller and trumped-up scandals while ignoring Trump's and the GOP's huge insanities is the actual whataboutism. Pointing those out is just returning to the main conversation.

A great example is what Biden is doing in the video here:

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/...004178432?s=20
    I saw this on reddit and posted a link a page ago. I laughed my ass off when I saw what he said. needless to say Fox News has been losing their ****.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

On Trump and Russia, while there is a small possibility he's an active asset of Putin it seems doubtful. There's little doubt, however, that Putin/Russia/many other countries and entities would love to see a weakened US in general and a blowhard egomaniacal race-baiter like Trump is just what the doctor ordered. If they can push racial tensions, push conspiracies about government tyranny or Covid skepticism and break down trust in institutions and norms (already strained) perhaps it weakens us further. Best case scenario we devolve into another Civil War and break up into Balkanized regional powers with a fraction of the power and resources of a United States. Trump might have just been a godsend to the Russians and others who'd like to see us fall, but probably was oblivious to anything outside his personal gain.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    On Trump and Russia, while there is a small possibility he's an active asset of Putin it seems doubtful. There's little doubt, however, that Putin/Russia/many other countries and entities would love to see a weakened US in general and a blowhard egomaniacal race-baiter like Trump is just what the doctor ordered. If they can push racial tensions, push conspiracies about government tyranny or Covid skepticism and break down trust in institutions and norms (already strained) perhaps it weakens us further. Best case scenario we devolve into another Civil War and break up into Balkanized regional powers with a fraction of the power and resources of a United States. Trump might have just been a godsend to the Russians and others who'd like to see us fall, but probably was oblivious to anything outside his personal gain.
    I dont think he really was an active asset to begin with. At least not one Putin recruited. Like you said he was a godsend to Putin. Trump never had to be an active asset to help Russia a good deal. Just sit back and let Trump do what he does, maybe plant some stories on face book about Trump's Russian business dealing and pics of him with Putin/Russian officials/Russian businessmen. let Trumps people meet with the Russians to get blackmail goods on his opponents because they are too stupid not to. Fan the flames of hate and Covid disinformation that Trump was spreading. Putin didnt have to work hard to make Trump and asset because Trump was an asset to everyone who wanted to see America worse off due to his election.
    Last edited by babyblob; 07-23-2021 at 09:17 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont think he really was an active asset to begin with. At least not one Putin recruited. Like you said he was a godsend to Putin. Trump never had to be an active asset to help Russia a good deal. Just sit back and let Trump do what he does, maybe plant some stories on face book about Trump's Russian business dealing and pics of him with Putin/Russian officials/Russian businessmen. let Trumps people meet with the Russians to get blackmail goods on his opponents because they are too stupid not to. Fan the flames of hate and Covid disinformation that Trump was spreading. Putin didnt have to work hard to make Trump and asset because Trump was an asset to everyone who wanted to see America worse off due to his election.
    I happen to agree. Bad Vlad stumbled onto gold mine of good luck with Trump. Putin just sat back and let The Former Guy do what he did (and still does) best, unleash chaos, then reaped the benefits from the madness America descended into for the last four years.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I saw this on reddit and posted a link a page ago. I laughed my ass off when I saw what he said. needless to say Fox News has been losing their ****.
    I love that there are actually conservative journalists who pretend they have no idea what Biden is talking about. How are they so bad at their job. How.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    I love that there are actually conservative journalists who pretend they have no idea what Biden is talking about. How are they so bad at their job. How.
    In this case she just ignored what didnt fit the QOP narrative. So either way if she didnt know about her own parties dumb **** or she does know and is ignoring facts it makes her a piss poor reporter.

In this case she just ignored what didnt fit the QOP narrative. So either way if she didnt know about her own parties dumb **** or she does know and is ignoring facts it makes her a piss poor reporter.
    I did not mean the one he was talking to, I mean other journalists on twitter today acting like "this is such a bizarre answer by Biden, is he ok?"

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I happen to agree. Bad Vlad stumbled onto gold mine of good luck with Trump. Putin just sat back and let The Former Guy do what he did (and still does) best, unleash chaos, then reaped the benefits from the madness America descended into for the last four years.
    Yes.

I actually feel very similar about the Tony Blair government in the UK…substituting in our case USA for Russia.

That government was (I think) really good on the great majority of domestic issues, but often followed near disastrous foreign polices…policies that invariably seemed to favour US interests above UK ones.

Rationally I know there isn’t any credible evidence that Mr Blair was directly controlled by US…but it was darn hard to avoid the irrational belief he was during his stint as Prime Minister.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 07-23-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    It's not quite about one state being dumber than another, we're talking about politicians literally whitewashing (pardon the pun) history in order to keep students from learning about the racism that's been part of this country practically since it's inception.
    No worries, I get all of that, I was just generalizing. I almost feel guilty for not applying for education positions in states that have enacted these whitewashing laws and policies, because I would never buy into the hagiografication (I think I just invented a new word!) of America. But I'm sticking to New England for the sanity and the cooler weather.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    I did not mean the one he was talking to, I mean other journalists on twitter today acting like "this is such a bizarre answer by Biden, is he ok?"
    Yea I get ya there. Fox news was like Why would a politician much less the president even saw such an awful thing.