Extraordinary Member

When I’ve taught the Code of Hammurabi, I used it to have my students deduce some aspects of the time, place and culture of Mesopotamia - through their own 21st century lens, mind you, but I figured they should be able to pick out laws that seem logical and even applicable today (there are liability laws that actually make good sense for the time), brutal because of the time period (it’s a fairly violent and merciless code) and ones that apply to their culture from that time period (witchcraft, etc.)

I would not have kids use their creativity to come up with laws to punish slaves, because that doesn’t really serve an educational purpose the way analysis would.

Creativity is something you save for having students design their own coat of arms or something.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The Derek Chauvin trial ended today with the defense having called witnesses for just two days vice two weeks for the prosecution. As for Chauvin, he invoked his Fifth Amendment rights and declined to take the stand, a good call as legal experts said the prosecution would've destroyed him in cross-examination. Closing statements on Monday.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

And because things haven't been terrible enough, I'm hearing reports that the Chicago PD straight up murdered a 13 year old boy, claiming he was armed when video evidence clearly shows he was unarmed, had his hands raised, and was totally non-threatening.

Here's the story so far.
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 04-15-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    EXACTLY....in addition to all the easy flowing guns in the streets with tons of armed gang culture and armed violent gunfire gang wars in the U.S
    Not to mention the white-supremacist hillbillies with persecution complexes and militia memberships.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And because things haven't been terrible enough, I'm hearing reports that the Chicago PD straight up murdered a 13 year old boy, claiming he was armed when video evidence clearly shows he was unarmed, had his hands raised, and was totally non-threatening.

Here's the story so far.
    Damn, that video was hard to watch, and infuriating since that kid was unarmed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    This is a horribly terrible idea.
    After what happened in Chicago, I stand by it.

Here's the story so far.
    Do they think that 'armed' means 'having arms'?
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Do they think that 'armed' means 'having arms'?
    They were talking about this right now on Lawrence O'Donnell. The Times analyzed the video, and says that the boy MAY have been armed and dropped a gun behind the fence. That being said, he was clearly UNARMED and surrendering when he was shot, and nothing he may or may not have done before hand would warrant being killed like that.

And if a cop fears for his life against a 13 year old kid, then they shouldn't be a f'ing cop in the first place.

Meanwhile, I saw a video earlier today of an incident, in Minnesota, where the cops were called on a white man for not wearing a mask in a store. The suspect attacked the police, hit one in the head with a hammer, got into his truck, RAMMED A POLICE TRUCK, and drove off with a cop hanging onto the window. And they didn't shoot at him once.
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 04-15-2021 at 07:21 PM.

They were talking about this right now on Lawrence O'Donnell. The Times analyzed the video, and says that the boy MAY have been armed and dropped a gun behind the fence. That being said, he was clearly UNARMED and surrendering when he was shot, and nothing he may or may not have done before hand would warrant being killed like that.

And if a cop fears for his life against a 13 year old kid, then they shouldn't be a f'ing cop in the first place.

Meanwhile, I saw a video earlier today of an incident, in Minnesota, where the cops were called on a white man for not wearing a mask in a store. The suspect attacked the police, hit one in the head with a hammer, got into his truck, RAMMED A POLICE TRUCK, and drove off with a cop hanging onto the window. And they didn't shoot at him once.
    Live in Illinois...

Most of the news reporting since it happened has been along the lines of "Responding To Shots Fired..."

While I don't really like to go to bat for this particular police force(and there is another angle that has been particularly upsetting, if not surprising...), I haven't seen anyone poke any holes in the idea that they were there on a "Shots Fired..." call.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Live in Illinois...

Most of the news reporting since it happened has been along the lines of "Responding To Shots Fired..."

While I don't really like to go to bat for this particular police force(and there is another angle that has been particularly upsetting, if not surprising...), I haven't seen anyone poke any holes in the idea that they were there on a "Shots Fired..." call.
    https://twitter.com/radleybalko/stat...595531/photo/1

That's not a whole lot to go on...

If you are saying that the young man probably wasn't armed when he was shot?

Agreed.

That said, I haven't see anyone undercut that they were there on a "Shots Fired..." call yet.

If that really was the call they were on? It was just a recipe for everything to go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That's not a whole lot to go on...

If you are saying that the young man probably wasn't armed when he was shot?

Agreed.

That said, I haven't see anyone undercut that they were there on a "Shots Fired..." call yet.

If that really was the call they were on? It was just a recipe for everything to go wrong.
    Maybe cops training to shoot 13 year olds is part of the problem that leads to 13 year olds getting shot.

While I'm not going to say that is not a part of the problem?

The department in question has a tendency to just shoot whoever.

Bettie Jones being someone who comes to mind...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...oman/97761484/

Chicago cop won't face charges for mistakenly shooting woman
    Prosecutors announced Friday that no criminal charges would be brought against a Chicago police officer who fatally shot a baseball bat-wielding college student and mistakenly fatally-wounded his neighbor during a 2015 incident that came at a tense moment for police in the nation's third-largest city.

Within hours of the Dec. 26, 2015, shooting deaths of Quintonio LeGrier, 19, and his neighbor Bettie Jones, 55, police acknowledged that Jones was accidentally killed by the officer, Robert Rialmo, who was responding to a domestic disturbance involving LeGrier.

At Least 8 Killed In Shooting At FedEx Warehouse In Indianapolis

The gunman then took his own life. To quote the legendary Vince Lombardi, "What the hell is going on here?"

Vaccinated Will ‘Likely’ Need Third Pfizer Jab Within 12 Months, Then Annual Shots

The CEO of Pfizer compared COVID-19 shots to “vaccines like flu that you need every year.” Proof that the virus isn't going away and might NEVER be fully eradicated.

Hundreds Of Execs Sign Statement Defending Voter Rights Against GOP Suppression

Voters must have “an equal, fair opportunity to cast a ballot,” said the statement signed by CEOs and companies including Google, Netflix, Apple and Amazon. But, Mitch McConnell wants companies to "Stay out of politics" while begging for cash from them.

Tucker Carlson Is Giving ‘Red Pills’ To Millions. White Nationalists Are Thrilled.

After the Fox News host doubled down on the “great replacement” conspiracy theory, white nationalists were excited at what it could mean for their movement. Is it any wonder there are are rumors Carlson might run for president in 2024. He's aiming to replace Donald Trump as the white nationalists' champion.

Colorado State Republican Makes Lynching Joke, Defends 3/5 Compromise

Rep. Ron Hanks argued on the House floor that the Three-Fifths Compromise made at the nation’s founding “was not impugning anybody’s humanity.” Oh, WBEEEEEEEE...!

Pat Robertson Can’t Believe A Police Officer Could Confuse Stun Gun For Firearm

“If you can’t tell the difference between those two things, it’s crazy,” the conservative TV evangelist said. When Cryptkeeper Pat is dismissive of Kim Potter's explanation for having killed Daunte Wright, you know hell just froze over!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-16-2021 at 01:38 AM.