"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Of course it was those two morons. Why wouldn't it be them? Just surprised Gohmert didn't vote no either.

The House voted 415-2 to reauthorize the National Marrow Donor Program, which provides access to life-saving bone marrow, peripheral blood stem cell & cord blood transplants to those with blood disorders & cancer.

The 2 “no” votes were Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert.

I'm working out some general ideas for police reform and I'd like to share what I have so far. Feel free to comment or make suggestions. Once it is completed, I might do something with it. Publish it or send a copy to Senators or something like that.

One of several key factors I am working towards is taking police out of situations where they really aren't needed, where alternative options are available.

Police Reform Ideas - first draft

• Police need a standardized training program with guidelines defined at the federal level.
    • Police need more training, better training. Especially in how to de-escalate situations and how to respond without the use of force, violence, or any other similar means.
    • Police equipment and weaponry should be standardized and limited to the minimum for what is needed at any one time. Military-style equipment or other weaponry in excess of what is needed to do their job should be disposed of.
    • An independent police review board should review all issues relating to police officer conduct, from the use of firearms and excessive use of force to violations of department policy to complaints by the public to possible violations of the law.
    • A Three Strike rule regarding reports of overuse of violence, complaints against them by the public, actions that go against police department rules, or other violations, should be applied to all police officers. Two strikes and they are placed immediately on desk duty until a review is conducted of their actions. Three strikes and they are subject to firing if the allegations against them are proven.
    • A national police database should be established by the DOJ and include all information/data on crime, violence, as well as information on police officers whose employment has been terminated due to misconduct or overuse of violence.
    • A national standard should be set for training police dispatchers.
    • Additional special phone numbers should be created nationally, each one clearly defined by its purpose. 411 for general information, 911 for police emergencies, 811 for Fire and other related emergencies, 711 for medical emergencies, 611 for mental health or domestic situations, and 511 for all other calls or when the caller is not sure who to call for help.
    • Programs need to be set up so that the police do not have to respond to every situation so that there are others ready to respond to non-violent, domestic, social, or other calls.
    • The culture of having minor laws on the books for the sole purpose of raising cash through fines should be ended. If there is a situation where a person is performing an act (like selling something on a street corner) in violation of local or state laws, the person should be identified and sent a letter stating that they need to appear in court to respond to the violation. A small court judge will then decide if the person should be fined for their actions.
    • Police should be trained to not stop every car that has a minor violation, that they can run license plates if there is a suspicion of a problem, then report the car if there isn’t anything serious like the possibility of the car being stolen. All non-criminal and non-dangerous infractions, such as expire plates, broken headlights, speeding less than 5 MPH over the speed limit, and so on should be referred to a traffic violations division. Violations can be handled by sending out warnings or letters of violations to the owner of the car through the mail.
    • Police should only pull over cars if they run the plates and find that the car is stolen if the driver is driving at excessive and dangerous speeds, if there is a warrant for the arrest of the car owner, or if the driver is driving recklessly and endangering other drivers, or if the car has no plates visible anywhere on the car.
    • Police and community programs should be created to allow the police to get to know the members of their community, and for the community to get to know the police officers.
    • Gun control laws should be tightened so as to remove some of the inherent risks to police officers.
    • police officers should be trained to deal with the threat of violence uniformly regardless of the situation and to de-escalate it whenever possible.
    • When police are called on to perform crowd control roles, they should understand the possible threat and act only as needed. Police should not engage unless a situation turns violent, unless they are attacked, or unless the property is being destroyed or stolen. They should be authorized to only arrest those who carry weapons, commit crimes, or acts of violence. At no time should police engage in dispersal tactics. If there is an announced curfew, it should be announced to those present. If they remain peaceful, they should not be forced out. It is up to local leaders to press the attendees to retire for the night.
    • Children should always be treated differently than adults regardless of whatever potential crime they may be involved in. Police should never draw weapons, tasers, pepper spray, or other use of force against a minor.
    Last edited by Tami; 04-16-2021 at 05:16 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Heard the news about the FedEx facility before going to bed. Breaks the city record set back in 2006 by at least one.

Downright horrible. And yet, sadly familiar.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

When Matt Gaetz was the sole vote against the Human Trafficking Bill, it was because he was actually a human trafficker.

Could it be that Greene and Boebert are actually cancers?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Figures the QAnon reps voted no. Lemme guess, those loons believed bone marrow, blood stem and cord blood came from aborted fetuses.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    When Matt Gaetz was the sole vote against the Human Trafficking Bill, it was because he was actually a human trafficker.

Could it be that Greene and Boebert are actually cancers?
    Literally?

...possibly

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I'm working out some general ideas for police reform and I'd like to share what I have so far. Feel free to comment or make suggestions. Once it is completed, I might do something with it. Publish it or send a copy to Senators or something like that.

One of several key factors I am working towards is taking police out of situations where they really aren't needed, where alternative options are available.

• Police need a standardized training program with guidelines defined at the federal level.
    • Police need more training, better training. Especially in how to de-escalate situations and how to respond without the use of force, violence, or any other similar means.
    • Police equipment and weaponry should be standardized and limited to the minimum for what is needed at any one time. Military-style equipment or other weaponry in excess of what is needed to do their job should be disposed of.
    • An independent police review board should review all issues relating to police officer conduct, from the use of firearms and excessive use of force to violations of department policy to complaints by the public to possible violations of the law.
    • A Three Strike rule regarding reports of overuse of violence, complaints against them by the public, actions that go against police department rules, or other violations, should be applied to all police officers. Two strikes and they are placed immediately on desk duty until a review is conducted of their actions. Three strikes and they are subject to firing if the allegations against them are proven.
    • A national police database should be established by the DOJ and include all information/data on crime, violence, as well as information on police officers whose employment has been terminated due to misconduct or overuse of violence.
    • Additional special phone numbers should be created nationally, each one clearly defined by its purpose. 411 for general information, 911 for police emergencies, 811 for Fire and other related emergencies, 711 for medical emergencies, 611 for mental health or domestic situations, and 511 for all other calls or when the caller is not sure who to call for help.
    • Programs need to be set up so that the police do not have to respond to every situation so that there are others ready to respond to non-violent, domestic, social, or other calls.
    • The culture of having minor laws on the books for the sole purpose of raising cash through fines should be ended. If there is a situation where a person is performing an act (like selling something on a street corner) in violation of local or state laws, the person should be identified and sent a letter stating that they need to appear in court to respond to the violation. A small court judge will then decide if the person should be fined for their actions.
    • Police should be trained to not stop every car that has a minor violation, that they can run license plates if there is a suspicion of a problem, then report the car if there isn’t anything serious like the possibility of the car being stolen. All non-criminal and non-dangerous infractions, such as expire plates, broken headlights, speeding less than 5 MPH over the speed limit, and so on should be referred to a traffic violations division. Violations can be handled by sending out warnings or letters of violations to the owner of the car through the mail.
    • Police should only pull over cars if they run the plates and find that the car is stolen if the driver is driving at excessive and dangerous speeds, if there is a warrant for the arrest of the car owner, or if the driver is driving recklessly and endangering other drivers, or if the car has no plates visible anywhere on the car.
    • Police and community programs should be created to allow the police to get to know the members of their community, and for the community to get to know the police officers.
    • Gun control laws should be tightened so as to remove some of the inherent risks to police officers.
    • police officers should be trained to deal with the threat of violence uniformly regardless of the situation and to de-escalate it whenever possible.
    • When police are called on to perform crowd control roles, they should understand the possible threat and act only as needed. Police should not engage unless a situation turns violent, unless they are attacked, or unless the property is being destroyed or stolen. They should be authorized to only arrest those who carry weapons, commit crimes, or acts of violence. At no time should police engage in dispersal tactics. If there is an announced curfew, it should be announced to those present. If they remain peaceful, they should not be forced out. It is up to local leaders to press the attendees to retire for the night.
    • Children should always be treated differently than adults regardless of whatever potential crime they may be involved in. Police should never draw weapons, tasers, pepper spray, or other use of force against a minor.
    Have any legislators suggested such a detailed reform? They need to...
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Have any legislators suggested such a detailed reform? They need to...
    I woke up this morning and this is the first thought that came to me, So I decided to write it down. If I was a legislator, if I was elected to either state or federal level, this is something I would be working on and, once finished, I'd go and try and get others to sign on to it.

Seeing as I am not elected to any political position, all I can do is write about it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Colorado State Republican Makes Lynching Joke, Defends 3/5 Compromise

Rep. Ron Hanks argued on the House floor that the Three-Fifths Compromise made at the nation’s founding “was not impugning anybody’s humanity.” Oh, WBEEEEEEEE...!

You beat me to it, WPP. I was going to ask WBE if this piece of work is in his queue.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    [URL="https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fedex-shooting-indianapolis_n_60790ed9e4b0bc5a3a54c8d0"]At Least 8 Killed In Shooting At FedEx Warehouse In Indianapolis[/URL
    Colorado State Republican Makes Lynching Joke, Defends 3/5 Compromise

Rep. Ron Hanks argued on the House floor that the Three-Fifths Compromise made at the nation’s founding “was not impugning anybody’s humanity.” Oh, WBEEEEEEEE...!
    Believe it or not, I already have him in the queue. He was at the Capitol on 1/6, and kept insinuating that Joe Biden would not actually be sworn in as president. Seems like he's going to continue to embarrass the Colordao GQP.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/repub...b6df63a91e5cf4
    https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...a-bf8bb18b2216
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I woke up this morning and this is the first thought that came to me, So I decided to write it down. If I was a legislator, if I was elected to either state or federal level, this is something I would be working on and, once finished, I'd go and try and get others to sign on to it.

Seeing as I am not elected to any political position, all I can do is write about it.
    You could also write a letter to your Congressional representative or local representative asking to submit a bill that would enact the reforms you've listed.
    Watching television is not an activity.

I like that the first two points have to do with training. Lots of good common sense ideas in there IMO.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

On this date in 2015, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" ran a profile of Stella Tremblay, a former member of the New Hampshire House of Representatives who resigned in 2013, but not after she spent one term and change in the state legislature wasting the people’s time and tax dollars on her salary to rave and actually try and pass legislation to investigate whatever the last conspiracy theory she heard was. Whether she wanted investigations into Agenda 21, Barack Obama’s Birth Certificate, and the “lost secret” 13th Amendment of the Constitution that denies office to anyone holding a title of nobility. She also claimed that former President Woodrow Wilson was sympathetic towards Hitler, which is pretty amazing considering he died in 1924, long before Hitler ever came to power. The New Hampshire GOP finally got sick of Tremblay’s antics in April 2013 after she started claiming that the Boston Marathon bombing was a “false flag” attack, and that “amputee actors” were set in place to make it look like people lost limbs, and the pain victims were feeling was just the work of those actors, linking to Alex Jones’ InfoWars website as “proof”. Since Tremblay has faded from view over the past four years, and that’s probably for the best.

On this date in 2016, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” posted a profile of Janet Adkins, a former member of the Florida House of Representatives from 2008-2016, who had designs on winning the seat in Congress held by Rep. Corrine Brown when she was term-limited, but tried like hell with the Florida GOP to gerrymander Florida’s Congressional map so she could have a chance to do so, to the extent that a Florida Court overruled the map because it was blatantly unconstitutional. Janet Adkins was not satisfied, and unveiled her master plan to a gathering of a Northern Florida Republican Caucus after first asking, “Are there any reporters in here?” Any reporters? OK. So, inside ball game.” When no reporter outed themselves, she then proceeded to talk a particularly devious gerrymander that would statistically leave the number of African Americans in Florida’s 5th Congressional District only slightly less, but assure that the numbers lie and several of the new minorities wouldn’t be able to vote, because they would be part of the population of a local prison. While there were no reporters in the room AT THE TIME, her comments were recorded, and the audio eventually found its way into the hands at reporters at Politico, who gladly informed the public of Adkins’ nefarious idea to purposely leave Corrine Brown with African American citizens with their right to vote already stripped as a means to flip her already ridiculously gerrymandered district. Adkins was forced to give a half-hearted apology, where she admitted to no intent to do wrong, but said she was sorry “if she offended anyone”. Y’know, just people who respect democracy, primarily. Adkins voting record featured support for mandatory ultrasounds where the woman was required to observe the fetus prior to getting an abortion, attempts to redefine “fetal viability”, the ability for adoption agencies to refuse services to people based on their own “deeply held religious beliefs” as well as officials to use the same justification for denying same-sex couples marriage services, and the failed policy of drug testing welfare recipients. She also co-sponsored HB 1209, another one of those bills to prevent the implementation of “foreign laws” like say, Sharia Law. Between hitting term limits in the Florida state legislature and her embarrassing “caught on tape” moment, she’s pretty much done in politics.

On this date in 2017, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" profiled Dan Bongino, a former member of the NYPD and Secret Service as well as a carpet-bagger extraordinaire who has, in each of the past three elections, lost in an effort to get elected to office. In his first back in 2012, he failed to get into the U.S. Senate in Maryland. In his second in 2014, he failed to get elected to the U.S. House of Representatives for Maryland’s 6th Congressional District. And in 2016, Bongino decided to try his luck at running for U.S. House of Representatives again, but this time, way down in Florida’s 19th Congressional District. Now, it was pretty clear that Bongino was pretty hard to the right from the jump. After all, his campaign website through the years had his stance on abortion being that he defined life from “conception until natural death”, and he actually advocated for a “flat tax” that most economic experts would take one quick look at and know it would wreck the American economy as well as the budget deficit. I mean, those are extreme policies, it’s not like Bongino gave any other sign that he was off-kilter, right? I mean, other than him actually campaigning at the Heritage Foundation on wondering where President Obama was on the night of Benghazi (which Obama’s whereabouts are totally verifiable and all). Well, there how he responded to a story in the Naples Daily News as being “propaganda” and when he had Marc Caputo, a reporter from Politico contact him for a follow-up on that statement, Bongino decided to go ahead and level an extended, profanity-laced tirade while he was being recorded. All Caputo did so set him off was point out the fact that most of Bongino’s campaign donations were coming in from donors outside of his proposed district in Florida’s 19th, and the next thing you know, Bongino started raving like a maniac for over seventeen minutes, where Bongino berates Caputo non-stop, including telling him “you were the guy that got beat up a lot in high school, huh?” or “The Secret Service would fire people like you, because you were so pathetic and you’d have to go into journalism”, or “You’re a real disgusting piece of s***.” Towards the end of the phone call, Bongino realized that maybe this audio getting to the public would be a bad thing, and threatened to sue Caputo for recording him without his consent. Unfortunately for Bongino, Caputo has a message dialogue where he told him the call would be recorded, and Bongino agreeing… so Bongino was pretty boned on the PR front on this. At the 15:44 mark, it gets really real, and you get Bongino screaming, “SHUT THE F*** UP! GO F*** YOURSELF YOU PIECE OF S***! YOU DON’T KNOW WHY I MOVED TO FLORIDA YOU MOTHERF***ER! WAIT UNTIL I SHRED YOUR F***ING *** ON THE RADIO! LISTEN TO ME YOU PR***, I’M GOING TO EXPOSE YOU NOW. AND WHEN I TELL YOU THE REAL REASON I’M DOWN HERE? I’M GOING TO EXPOSE YOUR F***ING *** EVEN MORE.” As you might expect, the good people of Florida’s 19th District did not think having Capt. Sweary McSaltypants as their next Congressman was a good idea, and Bongino was defeated in his attempt to reach office, this time not even advancing out of the primary, finishing a distant third with only 15.7% of the vote. Perhaps after three straight election losses, Bongino and his supporters have run out of cash, and he might not resurface to run for any office in 2018, if ever again. In the meantime, he’s been a regular guest on InfoWars and the Alt-Right media to predict things like that Hillary Clinton will be indicted, and trying to back up Donald Trump’s claims that President Obama did the “wire-tapps” to Trump. Bongino continues to be invited on to conservative news media as an analyst, with emphasis on the “anal” part of the word, because his head is ALL the way up his arse.

On this date in 2018, 2019, as well as 2020, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” first profiled Terry Lee Weaver, who has served the Tennessee House of Representatives for District 40 since first being elected back in 2008. Now, CSGOPOTD has definitely seen its fair share of right-wing nut jobs from the Volunteer State, but Weaver managed to raise herself above the pack in February of 2017, when she submitted a bizarre bill that would declare any child born through any form of artificial insemination with the help of a fertility clinic would be “illegitimate.

Now, chances are you’re asking yourself, “Why the hell would a party renowned for being pro-life go out of their way to try and argue some children aren’t legitimate?”

Great question. The answer is, “To f*** with same sex married couples, of course.” Terri Lynn Weaver was one of 53 members of the Tennessee GOP beside themselves and who got involved in September of 2016 in a same-sex marriage divorce that dealt with the custody of a child born through artificial insemination. Weaver and the other lawmakers asserted that the lesbian wife of the child’s mother should not be considered a “legitimate” parent under the current statute. Now, Weaver doesn’t seem to care about the implications of what might happen if both women in a lesbian relationship had a baby, and both wanted custody… or she does and just wants to make sure same-sex couples can’t have custody of children, whatsoever. There are efforts to be cruel to LGBTQ couples, and then there’s what Weaver did.

Now, maybe Weaver is getting some really extreme and twisted views on Christianity, that she’d go out of her way to hate gay people that much. Then again, her pastor is such a pillar of sensitivity that there’s a photo of him with Weaver where he’s wearing blackface and pretending to be Aunt Jemima. We can’t believe we just typed that sentence, either, but there it is. Oh, and Weaver defended her pastor for it, to boot.

But anyway, it seems more that Terry Lynn Weaver is just obsessed with babies and pregnant mothers in general, even outside of your standard anti-abortion fanatical fervor. In 2014, she was the Tennessee state legislator behind a controversial bill to jail pregnant mothers found to be on drugs during their pregnancy. Critics pointed out there wasn’t accurate testing to determine of a baby was born “addicted” to a drug, and that even if it was easily diagnosed, the law would do little to prevent the problem, and might instead cause pregnant drug addicts to do even more desperate things to avoid getting caught, that they might not be more forthcoming with their doctors about being pregnant in the first place, or that it could lead to a lot of children being raised away from their birth mothers if so many were being thrown in jail for it.

Again, Terri Lynn Weaver seems indifferent about the details. That’s probably why her voting record features her support for some of the Tennessee GOP’s worst bills, including stricter Voter ID law aimed at suppressing the vote using the pretense of in-person voter fraud that is statistically non-existent, a bill written to gather “abortion statistics” that would help anti-choice extremists identify women going to clinics to seek abortions, a bill aimed at naming the Bible the state book, and attempts to nullify federal gun laws. She also was a co-sponsor if HJR 587, a resolution against the United Nations Agenda 21 treaty, for fears from hard-right conspiracy theorists that it’s a plot to establish global domination as well as HB 553, a bill aimed at preventing Civil War monuments from being renamed..

She immediately went to work trying to handle the most important issues for the people of Tennessee… like protecting the statue commemorating the military career of Nathan Bedford Forrest, the founder of the KKK. When confronted with protesters at the state capitol for telling her how it’s racist to keep honoring the founder of a hate group, Terri Lynn Weaver literally defended herself by assuring the protesters that some of “her best friends are black.

Terri Lynn Weaver continued to try and prove she’s not a bigot by doing things like sponsoring a resolution to criticize Gov. Bill Lee for daring to accept Syrian refugees.

We were going to send her a coupon to Bed, Bath, and Beyond for new sheets that she can hopefully match to the hoods she’s got in her closet…

But she might not be able to use it when she’s potentially escorted to federal prison, because Terry Lynn Weaver is one of dozens of state legislators who went to Washington, D.C. on January 6th, 2020, for the “Stop the Steal” rally that was the pretense for a violent coup attempt carried out by Trump supporters that day. And Weaver is living in an “alternate facts” reality of how it played out, insisting that those present were “Patriots” and any violence that occurred should be blamed on “Antifa”, who successfully framed the white nationalists and Neo-Nazis that turned up for crimes they didn’t actually commit.

Because Tennessee has a very red state legislature, though, her colleagues in it have not moved to expel or punish her in any way for her participation in domestic terrorism.

Hopefully they at least get someone to force her out of office in a primary in 2022.

Astonishing Member

I keep hearing the word de-escalation but I'm not sure what it means i.e. what would de-escalation training even entail?